It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The REAL Names of the Bible

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Hello members

I have for a long time wondered about the names in the bible, and how the church have decieved the population in the respective countries by changing bible names into something more suitable.

For eksample John the Baptist - wonderd if any people in the middle east ever was named john?
In france his name is Jean
In spain his name is Juan
In denmark his name is Johannes
In Italy his name is Giovanni

Anybody know what his REAL name actually was?

And this disinformation goes for many many names in the bible just so people better can relate to them or is there a better explanation to this?
Would it have changed anything for the succes of christianity if they kept the original names?

The purpose of this is not dumb trash on religious people - but out of curiousity
I hope there is some good suggestions out there

edit on 4-7-2013 by Minus because: corrected spelling

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
God's word is TRUTH...

Every single one.

God takes His word VERY seriously.

You can ignore it but it WILL cost you.

I had a supernatural encounter in 1979 that left me KNOWING that the Bible was written by GOD.

Since that experience years ago, I have read about many others who have had very similar experiences.

As I stood there in the front of the church weeping and weeping, huge weights were being lifted from my back, my life and my mind. I was literally being cleansed and purified supernaturally by the Lord Jesus Christ as I was repenting of my sins, and I was filled with such tremendous love, joy and peace.

The Lord spoke two things to me there. The first was that every Word in the Bible was true, and the second was that I would never die. I was floating after that for eight years, and the Bible came alive to me and the words leaped off of the pages and literally exploded into my brain. happy707.wordpress.com...

Praying all night in the mosque, he asked God to help him. Suddenly he felt drops of oil falling on him and even smelled its fragrance, he says. He claims another time he heard an audible voice telling him to read a Bible—an abomination to a Muslim. “We would not touch a modern-day Bible,” he says. “This voice immediately put a desire in my heart. It is so vivid, so clear, so overwhelming. Still today, I could not forget that voice.”

Why Revival is Exploding Among Muslims

CJ's Testimony of a Face to Face Encounter with the Lord Jesus Christ

This quote is the key point: "You don't believe my word the Bible."

"It's My responsibility as God to protect My word for you."

Dr. Richard Eby was a professor and obstetrician who fell off a second story balcony in Chicago and hit his head and died instantly and found himself in Paradise. When he came back to a bloodless corpse in the hospital morgue, the athiest Doctor refused to believe he was alive and told him to 'shut up and don't give me any of that #' because he knew that Eby had been taken into the hospital as a totally bloodless dead body.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Jesus, where am I?I gasped! Suddenly in a new body in a new place with new life, I was ecstatically joyful: no pain, no tears, no sorrow, no memory.

Instantly, before I could complete my query, that same Voice in a tone of gentle thunder echoed within my head: "Didn’t you read my book?"

He was speaking to me (in fact, in me) with a speed greater than lightning, and in a language of sweet purity unlike anything that an earthly tongue could utter. I gasped again. I had HIS MIND, impossible as it seemed! Every word clearly meant exactly what was being said. We seemed to have a joint mind: I would ask, and He would answer. (The speed of this communication in such a MIND is hard to describe in human terms. Perchance I can now liken it to a printed page on which the questions being typed have the answers typed upon them, line upon line, at the same time, instantly.)

Yeshua began His answer: "If you had read My Book you would have known all the answers."

"In fact, everything that My children need to know about how God thinks and works and judges and rewards, either before or after the Cross, is already in My Book. That is why I commanded mankind to ‘engrave My Words upon their hearts,’ and to pass them along from generation to generation. I wanted everyone to hear and know just Who I AM, the Messiah, their one hope of Salvation, their Most High God."

Dr. Richard Eby dies, visits heaven, and returns with a startling message

edit on 4-7-2013 by Murgatroid because: Added link

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

I respect your opinion - i just wondered bout the names and why they changed them

You could argue that i have too much sparetime, and that would be true as well.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Minus

I respect your opinion - i just wondered bout the names and why they changed them

You could argue that i have too much sparetime, and that would be true as well.

I assume that as John, Jean, Johannes, Giovanni etc are all the same name in different languages, that John the Baptist's name was the Aramaic equivalent of John and has simply been translated accordingly?

After all, nothing in the English Bible (any version) was ever said or written by anyone in the Middle East since, obviously, they spoke/wrote a different language. What we read is a translation (which is, of course, not necessarily the correct translation!)

So, the guy who, according to the New Testament, baptised the person claimed to be 'the Son of God' had the Aramaic equivalent of the English name John. But I don't know off hand what that was.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I understand...

Too many have been deceived into believing that the Bible is a "Bunch of made up bs".

They need to hear the TRUTH...

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I am neutral on the bible. There are a number of names here that are still in use - James, Rebecca, Paul, Mathew and so did not give second thought to John.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

I assume that as John, Jean, Johannes, Giovanni etc are all the same name in different languages, that John the Baptist's name was the Aramaic equivalent of John and has simply been translated accordingly?

Yes its the same person. but is it correct to translate names? of course the words themselves are translated, but person names, city names and country names - should they be translated at all?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

sometimes we lose our faith even though we have encountered paranormal activity or heard the voice of god, we are not all destined to be happy or saved even amongst those not evil, Keep faith and thank you for trying to help other's, and for the rest of us - especially those whom once believed as you do you can only pray and we will try who know it is truth to return but that too is hard in the face of those times when god break's your heart.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Too many have been deceived into believing that the Bible is a "Bunch of made up bs".
They need to hear the TRUTH...

Im not here to preach or trash religion - and i will not encourage anybody to do that.

I just questioned why the church changed the names, if it was not to increase the succes of the faith, based on that faith itself maybe wasnt enough.
Would the bible have been accepted in the different countries if the names wasnt translate into related names?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Minus

Whenever people borrow a name or any other word from another language, they're likely to adapt it. If changing the pronunciation makes it easier to say, that's what they'll do..
So the French word for London is "Londres", and "Moscow" is the English name for a slightly different word in Russian.
That's all that's happening here. No conspiracy.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

reply to post by AndyMayhew

Yes its the same person. but is it correct to translate names? of course the words themselves are translated, but person names, city names and country names - should they be translated at all?

True,

But do you refer to the Capital of Italy as Rome or Roma? Is the Russian capital Moscow or Москва?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

All names in the bible, torah, koran have been altered from an earlier egyptian religion in order to seperate themselves from their egyptian origins.

The key component between all religions is the 3 main characters which I will refer to as God, Jesus and the Archangel Michael. Often referred to as the holy trinity but lacking the 3rd name of Michael, referring to god twice as the holy spirit and father.

Only in 1 iteration of this story have I been led to believe the 3 main male characters of these religions might be 3 women, Pythia, the oracle at Delphi, Asphasia of Miletus, Diotima of Mantinea. I trust that these names have been altered from their original forms too but could still represent "God, Jesus, and the archangel Michael".

The only reason why I suspect god to actually be represented by a woman is from studying an ancient vase that had a picture of a woman handcrafting humanity by combining "man with primate". Which led me to look further into what I dubbed the " chaemara project" and the differences in rhesus factor and humans and the possible combinations of various animals into a human vessel.

Vile,Vi,Odin-

It just depends on perspective and field of view but the characters god, jesus and michael are none devine, none of these characters are the ultimate creator of the universe or our simulation of the universe.

In my opinionated opinion, I found nothing wrong or inherently bad with the original egyptian religion but there were those that wanted it changed to better suit them and their needs.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It is my understanding that a number of that names which are today common to us in english, are, in fact, Hebrew names. And I'm certain some of them would be written / pronounced quite similarly to the biblical versions.

Aaron, for example.

On the flip side, I believe that some of the names have been more "anglicized."

Moses, for example (brother of Aaron
) This is an anglicized version of a hebrew name you still hear today, which I believe goes more like "Moshe"

The name "Jesus" is an even larger distortion. In the original hebrew I believe it was Yod He Shin Vau Heh, which would have been "Yeheshua" -- more equal to our "Joshuah." I think the hebrew "Yeheshua" went to (I think) Yesu in greek, which became "Jesus" as we know it.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The bible is woefully incomplete, having been put together by committee. To better incorporate Christianity to Roman culture.

Even the gospels were written centuries after the fact. Obviously not by the disciples, who have been dead for hundreds of years prior.

Now, anyone that listens to politics on a regular basis knows how history sometimes gets rewritten.

This is the case in the bible. Gospels left out, names changed, sometimes it's way more subtle (depending on the version you read)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Im not here to preach or trash religion.

God is NOT religious.

That would be the imposter: AKA "the god of THIS world".

Religion and God's WORD have NOTHING in common.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

The creator is above words, words could never contain or facilitate anything the creator could express.

The god that speaks is false, false to his/her very core a rotten liar who tried to manipulate humanity.
Those that repeat these false words are as guilty as the liars.

I think these words are in the bible in some form or another.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by iwilliam

The name "Jesus" is an even larger distortion. In the original hebrew I believe it was Yod He Shin Vau Heh, which would have been "Yeheshua" -- more equal to our "Joshuah." I think the hebrew "Yeheshua" went to (I think) Yesu in greek, which became "Jesus" as we know it.

Yod He Shin Vau Heh christ - that was a good explanation

Now it start to make sense that they didnt go for the original names

Originally posted by Knives4eyes
In my opinionated opinion, I found nothing wrong or inherently bad with the original egyptian religion but there were those that wanted it changed to better suit them and their needs.

Nice explanation - thats what i suspected in the first place, that it suited their needs

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I'm backing Murgatroid. Every word. I literally had to collect myself after
the rushing wave that can overtake a person. The water of truth can
shatter any burden on ones back. And the relief and new sense of
freedom left me sobbing bitterly. From not only the relief. But for both
joy for myself for finding the truth. And also pity for those who never
will.

Imagination you might say ? No, it was way beyond that.
I've been Happy ever since.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Hello members

I have for a long time wondered about the names in the bible, and how the church have decieved the population in the respective countries by changing bible names into something more suitable.

There's no deception in translating names to fit the style of the receptor language. If I say "Christopher Columbus," you know who I'm talking about. It doesn't matter that he was born Christoforo Colombo. There are some Biblical cases I think are based on poor readings (Jehovah) or inconsistent (Joshua/Jesus), but I wouldn't call those deceptive, either. If you are studying the Scripture at such a level that the meanings of the names matter, you should have access to the original texts or at least a concordance.

For eksample John the Baptist - wonderd if any people in the middle east ever was named john?
In france his name is Jean
In spain his name is Juan
In denmark his name is Johannes
In Italy his name is Giovanni

Anybody know what his REAL name actually was?

From a documentary point of view, it was Ioannes, since that is what is recorded in the Greek New Testament, and we have no earlier evidence of his existence. If he was an actual person, he would have called himself Yohanan.

And this disinformation goes for many many names in the bible just so people better can relate to them or is there a better explanation to this?
Would it have changed anything for the succes of christianity if they kept the original names?

Some names don't transfer exactly from one language to another. Take the Hebrew Yeshua. In Greek, the -a ending is usually feminine, male names end in -s. And I don't think they had the -sh- sound. So Yeshua became Iesous. (This happened no later than the 2nd century BCE, as the name is found in Greek translations of the Hebrew scriptures.) In Latin Iesous became Iesus, since the Latin masculine ending is -us. That became Jesus when written English started using J to represent consonantal I. It's the same name, it has just been adapted for different speakers and writing systems over two thousand years. Perhaps it has undergone more adaptations due to the number of people speaking and writing about it?

To answer your second question, would Christianity have been as successful if its founder had what would have been considered an unpronounceable foreign woman's name? Probably not. But neither would any other Yeshua in the Hellenic world. That's why they were all Iesous in Greek. And every Mosheh was Mouses, and every Shaul was Saulos, and so forth. That's not a disinformation conspiracy among Hellenic Jews--that's simply how people handled their names in a multilingual society. When you speak Hebrew or Aramaic or some other provincial tongue, and everyone in power speaks Greek, you figure out a way to introduce yourself in Greek. And then Greek becomes the provincial tongue and everyone's speaking Latin, or English, or some other language, and your descendants figure out how to introduce you in the new language. If people are still talking about you in two thousand years, you might not recogize your name--but it would still be your name.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join