It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Head of Roman God, Antenociticus, Found in Ancient Rubbish Dump, UK........

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
A 1,800 year old carved stone head of a possible Roman god has been found in an ancient rubbish dump in County Durham….

The discovery was made at Binchester Roman Fort, near Bishop Auckland, as a team dug through an old bath house…

The 20cm sandstone head from the 2nd or 3rd century, is similar to Celtic deity Antenociticus, thought to have been worshipped locally in war time…

A similar head with an inscription identifying it as Antenociticus, was found in Newcastle, in 1862…

www.dur.ac.uk...

www.guardian.co.uk...

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

I believe this is one of the reasons the Romans were so successful and hung around as long as they did. They'd often incorporate the local deities so that the new local or regional 'Citizens' would feel "A part of"

Great find.
Thanks for posting S & F

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Our old friend Spider will be on here any minute now, telling us how the image's thick lips and flattened nose prove that the Romans who colonised England were really black Africans.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Is that why it was called Binchester because they threw all their statues in the rubbish...?

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
Our old friend Spider will be on here any minute now, telling us how the image's thick lips and flattened nose prove that the Romans who colonised England were really black Africans.

Well they did recruit legionnaires from Egypt but AFAIK none of these were stationed in England but were at times in German campaigns

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

He most likely represents a Spanish figure;

The Ala Vettonum are named explicitly on three altars from the Binchester site and implicated on at least 2 other stones. This five-hundred strong cavalry regiment were recruited from the Vettones tribe of Lusitania in Hispania Ulterior. They inhabited the southern Castilla y Leon region of north-western Spain where their main town was Salmantica, now called Salamanca on the Tormes.

www.roman-britain.org...

edit on 5-7-2013 by Madrusa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Oh did anyone notice the flattened nose and thick lips???'..
the Romans must gave been Black Africans that colonized England indeed,,

How you doing Astyanax,naaw if I made a post on Black Roman era folks in jolly ol Eglund I would be more specific

edit on 5-7-2013 by Spider879 because: Because of Astyanax

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Well they did recruit legionnaires from Egypt but AFAIK none of these were stationed in England but were at times in German campaigns

That's not quite true Septimius Severus stationed them at Hadrian's walls in York to keep an eye out for the Scots.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
It's great being me. I get to be right all the time.

join