It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we so stupid?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
We invent the wheel, yet now we walk more.

We invent eating utensils, yet we now eat some foods with our fingers.

We invent the elevator, yet we use the stairs.

We invent stores and shops to buy food yet we still hunt and gather.

We invent the air conditioner yet we spend time outside.

In a bit, I and my son are going fishing. Currently it is 205 degrees Fahrenheit with a humidity level of 307% which makes it (with a wind chill) of 5,000 degrees Celsius!
(I never exaggerate!)

Why do we do these things to ourselves? Sure, with the zombie apocalypse just around the corner it's good to be prepared, but why do we (as a species) constantly deny ourselves the simple pleasures that have come about from inventions?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Go to walmart, you'll find the answer there as to why we need to walk instead of sit on our fat asses in motorized shopping carts. Same for the stairs. My old apartment had an elevator, I lived on the top floor, walking at a normal pace, I beat the elevator when I take the stairs. As for utensils.... all I can picture is that episode of Seinfeld when they are eating candybars with a fork and knife.

In all seriousness though, I think we've lost touch with nature a little bit, well more than a little bit, and are trying to live an unsustainable life. Hell you can go into some schools now and kids don't even know where vegetables come from, or what some of them are for that matter.

Anyhoo, hope you caught/catch some bigguns!

edit on 4-7-2013 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
When it rains, why don't sheep shrink?

Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?

Why do we pay for bottled water, when it's free from the tap?

Why is abbreviation such a long word?

Why is an open door considered ajar, but an open jar isn't adoor?

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why are there still monkeys and apes?

If a book about failures doesn't sell, is it a success?

Is there another word for synonym?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I think that by doing things the hard way or the old way, it helps us to appreciate our luxuries more. It makes the modern conveniences more enjoyable.

And they keep us from getting fat and out of shape.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

This morning, I stepped outside to have a cigarette (yeah, I don't smoke indoors) and enjoy my cup of tea. This thought occurred as I gazed over the haze.

Actually I agree.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by okayimhere

When it rains, why don't sheep shrink?

Because they aren't covered in wool, it has to be processed into wool, then it will shrink. Does your hair shrink in the rain?

Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?

We call them roads in Cannuckistan

Why do we pay for bottled water, when it's free from the tap?

It's not free, you pay a water bill or you pay for it via local/state/provincial taxes, and bottled water IS tap water, google it.

Why is abbreviation such a long word?

because english is stupid.

Why is an open door considered ajar, but an open jar isn't adoor?

Good question, a door can't be ajar, if it was a jar it would be in my basement full of urine and feces samples

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

Why didn't Tarzan die of exposure is a better question

If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why are there still monkeys and apes?

We didn't, we share lineage, we share a common ancestor, we didn't just fall out of a monkey's uterus.

If a book about failures doesn't sell, is it a success?

Only if the book itself was listed as a failure in the book.

Is there another word for synonym?

Probably.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

This morning, I stepped outside to have a cigarette (yeah, I don't smoke indoors) and enjoy my cup of tea. This thought occurred as I gazed over the haze. Actually I agree.

Lol it's rare, but we do agree on some things now and then, keeps it interesting I suppose. As for smoking, I don't smoke indoors either, and I'm drawing closer to my July 28th quit day, you should think about it Beezer.

If not for health reasons, for this simple reason:

They want you dead, smoking is playing into their game, live longer, fight longer

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I stepped outside to have a cigarette (yeah, I don't smoke indoors) and enjoy my cup of tea.

Off topic but I'll say it anyways ...

My father was a heavy smoker and tea drinker. He started when he was 14 and was at 3 packs a day for decades. His lungs gave out and he died at age 79. That's a long life you say .. especially for a heavy smoker. Yes, I reply, but look at how long he could have gone if he didn't smoke? His mother lived to be 94. My father could have had another 20 years of good living in him .. but his smoking cut that short.

Do all of us a favor ... quit smoking so we can have you around a lot longer.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It's on topic.

Smoking IS stupid!

I have quit, and will quit again. I do like the e-cigarette!

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Why do we let corporations influence our behavior? They are obviously doing it for selfish reasons.

Same with religion and politics/government. We are our own worst enemy.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

We invent the wheel, yet now we walk more.
Gas [color=62C957]$$$$

We invent eating utensils, yet we now eat some foods with our fingers.
Lazy. They're all dirty, and in the bottom of the sink.....(I think)

We invent the elevator, yet we use the stairs.
Yes. Stairs for going down, but not up. I'm sure there's been at least one time in my life when I waited close to 10 minutes for an elevator to take me up 2 floors.......

We invent stores and shops to buy food yet we still hunt and gather.
[color=62C957]$$$$

We invent the air conditioner yet we spend time outside.
[color=62C957]$$$$

So basically just 'Cheap & Lazy'.
The 'Cheap' part could just be too lazy to get rich.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Love the replies!

Gonna log off now, get the gear, get sweaty and dirty, may go swimming afterwards, basically enjoy the day with my wee son.

Happy 4th everyone!

(and for those of the foreign persuasion, have a great day/evening! )

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

My father was a heavy smoker and tea drinker. He started when he was 14 and was at 3 packs a day for decades. His lungs gave out and he died at age 79. That's a long life you say .. especially for a heavy smoker. Yes, I reply, but look at how long he could have gone if he didn't smoke? His mother lived to be 94. My father could have had another 20 years of good living in him .. but his smoking cut that short.

There's always the possibility that if he had not smoked so much, he may have been more active with other activities, which could have possibly led to an accidental death 30 years earlier.

It's just not exactly accurate to look back at a timeline, and only remove something from it. When one thing is removed, something else would usually have been added. Just can't really know for sure how much it would've changed, or if it would have changed for the better or the worse....

Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Here's an interesting thing to think about: No studies have ever shown technology to bring improved happiness on a person or a population...nor wealth, for that matter.

It has nothing to do with being stupid. It's that a lot of people, in my opinion, don't know how to cultivate happiness.

It's just like those people who always complain about being bored. Well, it's their own darn fault! They're boring people, that's why they're bored!

edit on 4-7-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I wouldn't have thought it likely for someone to pen such an awkward retort to a post that was obviously meant in jest and clearly not intended to be analyzed or taken literally.

edit on 4-7-2013 by okayimhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

We know that germs like warm, moist areas, but we're told to wash our hands before leaving the bathroom. Then as we exit the bathroom we grab onto that germ infested doorknob with our warm, moist hands.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so we eat cholesterol riddled eggs, fatty bacon, greasy sausages, white toast with all the nutrients bleached out of it and smothered in hydrogenated margarine that's worse than cholesterol. Bon appetit!

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

@Paragraph 1: Of course I can speak only of my own personal experiences and in my general srrounding area, but as far as being in any sort of public restroom, it is rare to find one nowadays that has a doorknob.

Even if it isn't one that you can just push open, I usually use my elbow. During those seldom occassions when you may come acroos a small town/backwoods gas station restroom that does still have the old fashion style doorknobs, they're usually still so far back in time that they also still use paper towels, which work quite well for the doorknob and for the faucet.

@Paragraph 2: mmmmmmmmmmmbacon

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

We invented the economy, yet some of us have our lives ruined by it.

We invented banks to safeguard and grow our wealth, yet it seems to do the opposite.

Man we are stoooopid.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

People think happiness can be bought.

In my opinion, it can only be discovered.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

People think happiness can be bought.

In my opinion, it can only be discovered.

I am sure happiness can be bought....but it usually comes with a time limit

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join