It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My dog is not well today...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
My border collie started getting a small growth between his front paw last week or so but wasn't causing him any pain or anything. I started getting insurance on Monday but won't come into effect until 1st of next month.
Meanwhile he had started limping and I took him to the vet who said it was just a huge wart that had developed and is common in some dogs.
As it was causing him hardship to walk I immediately authorised him to remove it which cost me just under £100 but no way was I going to let him suffer.
I'm waiting for another 30 mins before I go to pick him up but when the vet injected him to knock him out, it was as quick as anything.
At least he will be back to normal once it has healed up.
I had let me insurance lapse because he has never been in ill and he is ten years old this December , big mistake and I will be keeping it going from now on.
At least it's nothing too serious which was worrying me.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Wow, I'd heard about pet health insurance but am not sure about how it works in the USA.
I hope your dog is fine and soon able to frolick and enjoy life.
I have 9 myself and the vet bills are constant.

ganjoa

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Hope he recovers quickly

Have been meaning to get insurance for my 9 year old staffy but keep forgetting

Think i should sort it out as soon as.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

At least it's nothing too serious which was worrying me.

Good to hear.

I send my moral support, not much but all I can give at the moment.

I love dogs,

I had a Rottie that had a lump on his foot which had to be cut out as well, same thing nothing serious just a growth, but there was worry as there was a chance it could become cancerous so a biopsy was also performed.

Never will human receive more love than from his dog, I wish I could do the same for my dogs and all dog owners could do for theirs.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I think its great that you saw a problem with your pup, and immediately had it taken care of.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Well he has fully recovered now and back to,his usual self. Was worried sick and didn't relize how much he meant to me. He's a big part of my life and always will be. I would have given my last to help him and thankfully he is well again...

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Glad your pup is doing better. I really need to look into insurance for my boy. I always thought it was a scam, but I suppose it's worth checking. I adopted my guy and didn't know he needed two major surgeries totaling an amount of money I'm uncomfortable sharing, many thousands though. Totally worth it and when you adopt a pet they deserve whatever they need. You take that risk and responsibility when you bring them home.

I need to start checking my guy's paws more often, this was a good reminder. How costly is the insurance and what will they actually cover? I don't want to be paying $100 a month and only have routine things covered.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Well here in the UK if you are unemployed you can apply for what is called PDSA in that you just give a donation for most treatment that your pet requires.
Pet insurance really isn't too expensive and well worth it in the end.
I had insurance for years but my dog was always fit and healthy and we used to walk over 5 miles a day until last year when I developed osteo arthritis plus my back went completely due to heavy lifting etc when I was younger so had to stop.
You never think anything is going to happen to your pet, its always someone else's that is the unfortunate one.
I saw my dog limping badly for a few days and regardless of what it was going to cost, I went to the vet who said it was a massive wart between his paws of all things. He said it was like walking with a pebble in your shoe all the time.
He arranged surgery next day and had to knock him out which was traumatic for me as I held him while he went under. A few hours later he was home and still a bit groggy but not limping at all and now he's back to,his old self.
So get insurance because you never know when you might need it. Bit like car insurance, pay it for years and never need it until one day you do, or like health insurance. We don't need that as we have the NHS here but animals do require it.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Pet insurance is great, but with multiple animals, so multiple premiums, you probably aren't going to save much usually, unless some major procedure. If just one or two animals though, crazy NOT to get it in the US.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
This is the first I have ever heard of pet insurance! When I am able to have a pet,(can't where I am living but once I get back to Alaska I plan on getting a dog) I will definitely look into it!

OP, glad your dog is ok!

It is no fun seeing someone's dog limping around because they didn't take them to a vet!
I have seen it way to often.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

My brother has an older dog Labrador that is on its last legs and he has spent over £2000 in vet bills just to keep him alive and going as he hasn't any pet insurance either and says he will need to get it next time.
Worth the money in the long run.....

top topics

join