It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State Department spent more than $600k to attract Facebook fans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
hello

I did not really know where to post this so if it's in the wrong place mods please move..

An inspector General's report Released in May, found that the Bureau of International Information Programs spent $630,000 on two advertising campaigns to expand the numbers of fans for four of its Facebook pages–as well as the translated versions of those pages.

This is just ridiculous we have people that can't pay their firkin rent, they can't afford to eat or get gas to drive to work..

Hell nowadays we are lucky if we can just keep our lights on, but they can spend 630,000 of our taxpayer dollars to get more friends on facebook?

It's unreal how much our economy is in the sh###er and how bad a lot of Americans are struggling just to eat, and they are spending well over half a million dollars for social media friends.....

With as much debt as America is in how can they have 630,000$ to spend on facebook friends????

I wonder if it's easier for them to spy on us if we like em on facebook?
politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

The State Department has dramatically cut its funding for social media after an inspector general's report found the department spent excessive amounts on advertising for some of its Facebook pages.

We take the valuable feedback of the (Office of Inspector General) seriously, and we're committed to addressing the recommendations and the concern outlined in this assessment," State Department Spokesperson Jen Psaki said Wednesday in the daily press briefing.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
what baffles me is that we even have a Bureau of International Information Programs in the first place. Someone must have had some friends who wanted a cushy job.

Also, why does any facebook page need to launch an advertising campaign period! $630,000 dollar advertising campaign and this is the first time i am hearing of any of the four pages listed. Seems to me the state department should be asking for their money back.

Yet more senseless spending by an out of control government. Which is perpetually trying to find more and more ways to tax us even further into poverty.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Story after story from loss of freedom to not being able to find the American dream and guess what?

To be brutally honest what is the point to even post stories or talk about it anymore. We have all lost. Our futures are in TPTB hands and will remain there for the rest of our lives. I hope our chains fall lightly upon our collective shoulders.

When the people of Egypt understand freedom better then Americans you know we are screwed. We reap what we sow.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Sounds like the Ministry of Propaganda. That's typical government effort, under something about Information.

So if that one department spent that much, what about the other departments? There are a lot of departments, did every one get that same budget? I imagine it's like co-branding a cereal box with an association name, where they sit down and have a meeting where one guy gives a slideshow how US plus FB equals a parade of triumph for the government, special padded leather briefing folders with proposed appearance layouts, and a food spread with a special cake with the facebook logo on it. Printed cakes aren't cheap people!

At the core of it is a page about letting the DoD take the job of hiring a government contractor. So it was basically .6 mil for lunch with a billionaire. Department elites walk out, mission accomplished, and gets someone else to make a press release, and goes to the next meeting. Not too shabby for government relations with the big corporation people on the planet, they've been doing that for decades.

Because somewhere, hypothetically, there is a chance for a "facebook support center" which is actually a secret building project where they're cranking out ...something they can't tell anybody about. And the billionaire probably gets surprised by helicopters landing in a field with MIB presenting him huge silver suitcases full of cash with nondisclosure forms to sign to cover the latest security issue that is being pushed in the news as being some facebook-sourced computer blackout when really the antimissile system stopped another invasion. It could happen.

top topics

join