It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turns Out Atheists Are Just Like Everybody Else -- Isn't That Weird?!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The last part of the title is me being sarcastic of course. A new study by the University Of Tennessee at Chattanooga revealed the following:

“Congratulations, non-believers,” said Coleman in an interview with Raw Story, “you’re essentially normal,” with personality types that break down just like the rest of society. Research revealed that atheists range across “a normal distribution of personality types,” and that the aggressive, confrontational stereotype of atheism only applies to a sliver of the people who identify as non-believers.

“Previous research and studies focusing on the diverse landscape of belief in America have continually placed those who profess no belief in a God or gods into one unified category infamously known as the ‘religious nones,’” reads the report’s overview. “This catch-all category presented anyone who identified as having “no religion” as a homogenous group in America today, lumping people who may believe in God with the many who don’t.”

The most “empirically visible” type of non-believer is the Anti-Theist, who believes that religion is a destructive force in society. According to Silver and Coleman, these are in fact the least common unbelievers, but there are the most strident. They rate highest in levels of anger and dogmatism, according to the survey results.

A growing group are Non-Theists, people who have never made religion a large part of their life and don’t even give much thought to the question. “(A) few terms may best capture the sentiments of the Non-Theist,” read the report. “One is apathetic, while another may be disinterested. The Non-Theist is non-active in terms of involving themselves in social or intellectual pursuits having to do with religion or anti-religion.”

So there you have it folks, Atheists are just like the rest of us. And the characterization of them as being zealots and the Anti-Theist is mostly just a small group of the most vocal people. The same as it is with people in religious circles or organizations.

For years I've been saying most of us are moderates, drowned out by the sound of extremists.

It's no different for any topic it seems, including Atheism.

Thoughts ATS?

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Yup no surprise there. Im an atheist and I hate the fundie militant types just as much as the Christians dislike the westboro type crowds. I really don't think religion is the root of all evil but ignorant senseless fanaticism is.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Yes, this is weird. No! There are many good atheist out there who deserve respect from their peers. Everyone does!

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

A new study......revealed that atheists....are normal....

Its sad we need a new study for ignorant people to accept people with different views.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Thanks for your thread here and it's important to read. It truly is. It tells me that being upset with Atheists has been the wrong approach in how I am using terms and definitions. Anti-Theist is more along the lines of what we see on the internet, dogging and running down others of Faith and their religion in general. Honestly, I feel a little ignorant myself at the moment, not to have considered that distinction before. It seems painfully obvious when laid out that way, yet Anti-Theist isn't a term I've actually seen before. It's one I think I'll be using more often though. It IS an important distinction, after all.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
perhaps it can be said everyone is just like everyone else really, maybe that's what more people should start considering, i think our world and lives would be much richer for it but nice article non the less.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The things about internet is that, it will make 2 people with opposing view look like their at the end of each other's spectrum.

Rabid religious person on internet might not be on in real life, same goes with typical atheist. But we all take one idea when an argument ensues.

People beginning to question the "god concept" is more than enough for me in this lifetime for intellectual advancement(compared to pre-17th century man).

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I've always carried the mentality that I don't care what you believe, as long as you aren't trying to create a system that is based on those beliefs for the rest of us to live by.

In the case of Atheists, the rabid ones anyway, the destruction of all religion is the goal. As stated above in my OP, I strongly believe that most moderates, because of their moderate views tend to be more apathetic and less inclined to go out on a limb for their beliefs.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I couldn't agree with you more when the term extremist is used to distinguish. I found this same thing in Occupy, as you've likely seen me say before. Rabid Liberals and Anarchists alike. People I've been raised to distrust or outright hate on sight ..and never take time to talk to. After all, I might fall for their 'evil charms' or something.

In actually living with the folks and talking with them in quiet moments? Heck..outside a few out of the many dozens? They weren't extreme or dangerous or even weird. They had thoughts I didn't agree with and me, them. However, those put aside and avoided for topics? We found ourselves agreeing on far more than disagreement would have. It's an amazing experience to see how moderate the vast majority of normal people are ...when not first told to be on the defensive and ready to fight.

It's reassuring and perhaps not surprising after all to discover Religion is the same...to include those with no religion at all.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I don't believe in atheism and therefore it does not exist. Can you prove atheism is real? =D

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Philippines
I'm sorry, I don't believe in atheism and therefore it does not exist. Can you prove atheism is real? =D

Rephrased:

I'm sorry, I don't believe in "Not Watching Tv" and therefore it does not exist. Can you prove "Not Watching TV" is real? =D

Yes, I'm not watching TV right now! there for "Not Watching TV" is real.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I wonder what do atheists scream out when they climax?

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau

Okay... I can't resist.

We scream "Oh, great cosmic atomic energy force !"

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

Thank you!

I'm a Christian, but you and I would get along smashingly. I don't push my beliefs on anyone and expect the same in return. I hate militant idiots on both sides of the fence, those who just cannot live and let live until you live exactly like they live.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Yeah as a former christian and now agnostic I say "duh". Most of Christianity is based off paranoia "I'm God's chosen one" "Others are going to burn in hell" "people who don't believe in Jesus are demons"

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

I'm not an atheist but I also don't subscribe to any religion. No God brought me to that moment of ecstasy so I tend to use my boyfriends name.

I couldn't resist either!

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

What does an Atheist scream when he cums?
Oh, chemical chance! Chemical chance! “
— Bill Hicks

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   

In my experience atheists, christian, mormons and muslim girls all scream my name.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Hey look on here with the ability to remain anonymous I am sometimes a anti theist however I go to church clap my hands and keep my mouth shut about the things I think. Mostly for my wife however I do like the sense of community and feel it is ashamed that you have to SEEM to believe in imaginary things to have that.

BTW I do think religion overall is detrimental to society as a whole personally but remember I served overseas where people screamed god is great before blowing themselves up in public places so maybe my view is skewed. I do enjoy the arts that have come from it but wonder if religion was necessary for that to happen.

Oh well I can speak freely on here and that is good enough and my thoughts are my own I can only hope people will one day wake up and realize you do not need imaginary creatures to aspire to greater things in fact I think it would be better that way.

edit on 4-7-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Oh [SNIP].

edit on 4-7-2013 by Gemwolf because: Removed censor circumvention

top topics

<<   2 >>

join