It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knives Come Out for U.S. Ambassador to Egypt Anne Patterson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
All is not well in the world of U.S. Diplomacy it would seem. This thread isn't meant to rehash or take away from an excellent thread another member has for the ongoing military overthrow of the national leadership in Egypt. This thread is to note the U.S. position in it for WHY people are pissed off at America and at the American Ambassador and Embassy itself, in particular.

I had no idea myself that she'd actually SAID this. What a tone deaf moron! Sometimes...it really is better to say nothing and simply allow the people to think you may be a blithering idiot than to open your mouth and remove all remaining doubt. She should have learned from that old saying, I'm thinking.

The tip of the spear for U.S.-Egypt diplomacy, Patterson's June 18 speech discouraging street protests has come to symbolize the administration's inability to recognize the potency of Egypt's liberal opposition. "Some say that street action will produce better results than elections," Patterson said. "To be honest, my government and I are deeply skeptical."

Now, with the Egyptian military's 48-hour deadline for Morsy to yield to protesters demands passed, observers fear the outbreak of widespread violence between Morsy's Islamist supporters and moderate critics, and many wonder if the U.S. could've taken a harder line on the Brotherhood during its 10-month rule.

Now HOW could the US have taken a harder line on the Muslim Brotherhood? They've been guests to the White House and have sympathizers among the President's closest advisers (Jarret is one of them). They couldn't have come out against the Brotherhood anymore than they could have come out against Democrats at this point.

THIS is what happens when a major nation takes SIDES in a civil war. Things don't always go well and when the favored side loses? The nation who backed them is lower than dog crap on a kitchen floor to those who won. This is why the U.S. SHOULD NEVER be taking sides on internal matters of other nations.

"As opposition to Morsy coalesced around the Tamarod movement, the Obama administration missed the opportunity to support its efforts and further the vital interests of the United States without firing a shot," Cruz wrote in a Wednesday article for FP. "Instead, the sole priority seems to be to defuse the situation and preserve the status quo. Ambassador Patterson has assumed the leading role in implementing this policy, meeting with members of the opposition not to encourage them to pursue a true secular democracy in Egypt but to try to persuade them to tone things down."
Source

Yes.... Priority is to maintain the status quo... Where have we heard that before? OH YES! Now I recall... It happened in Iran, too.

Sadly, for ten days, Obama could not muster even a rebuke. When the crisis deepened and political pressure forced him to take a stand, the criticism he delivered was followed with an immediate concession of Iran’s sovereignty and a promise not to meddle in its internal affairs. While men and women were being brutalized and gunned down in the streets, the message sent by this administration is that there were “irregularities” in the election process, which needed to be investigated.
Source: How Obama Killed the Iran Election Protests

It's not that we have a President who is afraid to screw up other people's nations. Oh heck no. He's a master at that. It's that he chooses which ones to screw with, so selectively, the world has come to hate him for it. Well, I can understand that...so have I, in many ways.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
These types already have an agenda through DC and try to make the ground match the talking points. When it doesn't and they can't hide, they have no clue what to do. It's a telling opportunity.

Instead of looking ridiculous, they simply shut up and hide until such time as they have a reworked set of talking points which demonstrates they are in control of something.

Just wait. You'll see in few days/weeks we will have a newly spun tapestry of BS, just as separated from reality as the last but sounding magnificent. Your tax dollars at work.

Meanwhile, on the ground the alphabet agency operators are working in their own haze of delusion but those directives never make it to the talking points.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
it's always Americas fault. we Americans need to get a tougher skin....Morsi didn't work because the people of Egypt realize that although they want the freedom to practice their Islamic faith, they do not want Islams barbaric and archaic laws to control the workings of it's society in general terms. I do not understand why this is so hard for people in the west to figure out.
just like here in America, we want to be able to practice our religious faiths, what ever they are, but, we do not want religious laws forced upon our society in general. religious laws ARE NOT about acceptance, or tolerance of others no matter what the religion is, it's about adhering to a set doctrine of living standards that only one faith finds acceptable.
edit on 5-7-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
For the amount of blunders this administration has made, I can't help but feel they have to be intentional.

Either that or Obama is a blithering idiot, or surrounds himself with the same or both.

I genuinely thought I would never hate anyone more the George Bush. Glad to see the American aristocracy never misses an opportunity to disappoint.

We have a congressional approval rating so low there isn't even room for friends and family. At best just immediate family members and POTUS is nothing more than a fool or anti-christ. Perhaps both......

This has to be how the typical Roman felt during the 400's (AD) just before the final dissolution.

edit on 5-7-2013 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-7-2013 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
If the US publicly encouraged protestors it gives the regime an excuse to call them foreign backed terrorist like in Syria. It also immediately makes people in the country wonder if maybe the US is running the protest. In both Iran and Egypt the governments were both publicly known to be on bad terms with the US. US support would undermine the people and give the Gov an excuse to crack down. However unlike Iran in Egypt the Egyptian military has been the US ace up its sleave so to speak. Whomever gets elected next will have the problem if they wander to far from US interets. I have also heard from people I used to work with that we can expect a flow of Egytian arms to the Syrian rebels, something the Mosari would not allow while it courted Iran. I also suspect the US will be funding several of the Pro Western opposition groups through third parties and that they will find some under the table assistance from the Egytian military with organziation.to put them on a more even footing with more radical groups. Nothing could be done the first election as only one group had any sort of organization. The US still had the Egyptian military but, that is an asset that had to be used at the right time. First with trouble in the Sinai that both the US and Epytian military used to make Mursi look weak and unable to control things. Mursi quickly moved to meet both US and the Egyptian military concerns removing the opportunity. Then after tried to get rid of opposition in the Military by firing a group of high ranking officers. None of that changes that the Egyptian military is completely reliant on US support so he it would not matter how many changes he made they would remain in the US corner.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
So its a knife fight I see!

top topics

join