It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen in jail for months over 'sarcastic' Facebook threat.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
even though everyones kinda smiling right now that one of these ass talking gamers is in jail it still speaks to the fact that the first amendment the right to free speech is not really a right but a privilege.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Terroristic threats? An American sarcastically threatening to kill other Americans at it's very worst is threatning violence, were does terrorism fit in?

Terrorism is defined in most functional brains as foreigners plotting and carrying out terrorist acts against Americans for their religious or political beliefs, or Americans carrying them out in league with foreigners.

Everyone is a terrorist apparently, there will be no more normal crime, everything is terrorism.

Further more, jaling somebody for threats that involve non descript people is ludicrous when you take the entire post into account, especially the "lol" and "jk" after the remarks. The kid is an idiot but not a criminal and certainly not a terrorist.

This is a scary government we have folks, a scary scary government that has started the path down a dark and slippery slope.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Look, the first comment alone does warrant an investigation for sure....
but in context and adding lol jk to the end of it indicates it was a "joke..."
Even if the kid is obviously a lil whacko and has a sick sense of humor.

They are threatening him with YEARS in jail over it. Outrageous.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Just heard today that this kid is getting beat up in prison. If this outrages you like it does me (being a parent myself). Please go to change.org and sign the petition.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
It's amazing how this could have been easily avoided if the kid had any bit of intelligence.
edit on 3-7-2013 by parkwoods21 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-7-2013 by parkwoods21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
Back in 1970 when I had the internet, we could say anything we wanted, like "Imma really protest this war parade man" and other subversive things that would turn heads and make grand parents drop their toast.

You had internet in 1970???

edit on 3-7-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit

Originally posted by VoidHawk
And now.............evryone gets too frightened to post their thoughts.

They win, we lose.
Sadly they have won.

There are posts to which I wanted to reply but haven't because I worry about who will see it and what they may do.

Freedom of speech, even freedom of thought is well and truely dead.

I wouldn't worry too much, the post you just made is a confession to THOUGHT crime, it's of to the funny farm for us matey

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Considering many school shootings are actually done by alphabet agencies and black op's organizations to take away more of your rights, then maybe we should throw all them into a cell to just in case they don't do it in the future. Its the same mentality, isn't it ?

I would point out that I was being sarcastic, but apparently sarcasm is a punishable crime now, so I better not ?

The IDIOTS that made and enforced these rules should not only be put in jail, but permanently removed from society, because while these IDIOTS are given power, it will only be to the majorities disadvantage !

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I play league and i feel his rage lol its pathetic that the law actually thought he was serious

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
If that Canadian woman had a modicum of intelligence and common sense this thread wouldn't even exist, same could be said for the kid too.

Blame Canada.

Seriously, extreme over reaction. Can't believe this kid is sitting in jail for that.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by parkwoods21
It's amazing how this could have been easily avoided if the kid had any bit of intelligence.

It's amazing how this could have been avoided if the morons getting their panties all up in a twist would step back and take a few deep breaths and see that the kid was obviously joking.
edit on 4/7/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
As #ty as things are, why do people think that freedom OF speech, is freedom TO speak. Your freedoms end where the actions infringe upon others' freedoms. Prime example, you can say the word fire, but yell it in a crowded place and that is not ok. I fully support the discipline of this person's action. The appropriateness of the extent may be debated. He should not have said what he did in a public place, and he(and others) need to know this is not ok.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by circuitsports
even though everyones kinda smiling right now that one of these ass talking gamers is in jail it still speaks to the fact that the first amendment the right to free speech is not really a right but a privilege.

Rights are not absolute, they are limited by the rights of others. IE if I made a threat to kill some one, that would be assault and illegal. You see it in the news all the time also, the press' right to free speech conflicts with celebrities right to privacy, then you have libel and slander and incitement etc.
edit on 4-7-2013 by Redarguo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by nateman

He should not have said what he did in a public place, and he(and others) need to know this is not ok.

So it's not ok to use a bit of black humor in a public place? What about comedians? Some of them even joke about pedophilia and really push the limits as much as they can... in front of thousands of people, and those people laugh at it (well most of them). I could easily find you a clip right now of a comedian joking about mass murder and hurting children. But I don't see them facing prison time...

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by nateman

He should not have said what he did in a public place, and he(and others) need to know this is not ok.

So it's not ok to use a bit of black humor in a public place? What about comedians? Some of them even joke about pedophilia and really push the limits as much as they can... in front of thousands of people, and those people laugh at it (well most of them). I could easily find you a clip right now of a comedian joking about mass murder and hurting children. But I don't see them facing prison time...

It depends on how others take whats been said I suppose. I.E what a comedian says is obviously a joke in certain settings, but if he just shouted it in a public place then it might not be taken that way. You also have public order offenses and stuff also
edit on 4-7-2013 by Redarguo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Redarguo

It depends on how others take whats been said I suppose. I.E what a comedian says is obviously a joke in certain settings
What the kid said was obviously a damn joke because he was countering an insult his friend slung at him, plus he ended it with j/k. I mean how god damn thick does a person have to be to think this kid meant what he said... honestly.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

It depends on how others take whats been said I suppose. I.E what a comedian says is obviously a joke in certain settings
What the kid said was obviously a damn joke because he was countering an insult his friend slung at him, plus he ended it with j/k. I mean how god damn thick does a person have to be to think this kid meant what he said... honestly.

Consider the flip side tho, how would people react if a mass murderer, ie the Arizona guy, made a similar comment before the event a nothing was done. Agree that whats happened tho is quite harsh, maybe warrant a charge and fine under breach of the peace or something, but not jail time. But thats more a fault with the US bail system that he is incarcerated IMO, he has still not been to court, ie might not even be convicted of anything if i understand the situation correctly.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

People need to get over it, their fear that he might do something in the future isn't worth diddly squat, his freedom to speech trumps their irrational fears. If we arrested every person who made a dark joke we'd have more comedians in prison than weed smokers.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

This is a very good point, actually. What the kid said was SUPPOSED to be just between him and his friend, and if it HAD been just between him and his friend, none of this would have happened. Either this kid has "friended" too many people, i.e., people he doesn't even know (and who don't know him), or he has set his facebook account as public where everyone could see what he posts. Either one of those is a VERY bad idea, for many reasons, this situation being just one of them. If you're going to have a facebook account, keep it private, and only friend those who are in your close circle of friends and family. The people who know and love you, and won't turn you in based on a stupid comment.

And, make no mistake -- it WAS a stupid comment. If this had been my kid and I found out he said this, I would have tanned his hide and taken away his technology, including games for a year, at least.
edit on 4-7-2013 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Either one of those is a VERY bad idea, for many reasons, this situation being just one of them.

Yes of course it was a bad idea, that's why I don't even have a Facebook account in the first place. But just because he wasn't careful enough doesn't make his punishment any more justified. You're basically saying "he's stupid so he deserves it". No he doesn't... he had every right to make that joke. He shouldn't have to be worried about who is listening... the problem here is that people are oversensitive idiots who can't take a joke. They are at fault, not him.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join