It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian rocket explodes in Kazakhstan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

A Russian rocket carrying three navigation satellites worth around €153m crashed shortly after lift-off from the Russian-leased Baikonur launch facility in Kazakhstan this morning after its engines suddenly switched off. The accident led to a large spill of heptyl, a highly toxic rocket propellant.

This is huge damage for Russia .Russia's space agency Roscosmos said the accident had been caused by the emergency switch-off of the rocket's engines 17 seconds into the flight, but dont forget that chief designer of Glonass (Russian answer to US GPS system) was dismissed last year during a fraud investigation.

Russia plans to spend more than 300bn roubles (€7bn) by 2020 on Glonass, its answer to the US GPS system.

www.rte.ie...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
It is nice to see that the USA is not the only country wasting money on unnecessary technology. I suppose spending all those rupies will make jobs for people, jobs that are necessary because they need to pay for all the crap that really isn't needed. I thought compasses worked pretty well. I must be living in the past when governments had little debt and people enjoyed sitting around a campfire at a park drinking beer or coffee and telling stories for entertainment.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Well, its like I always say. If you are going to fail, fail hard, and preferably in spectacular fashion. I find it interesting that the rocket actually went to pieces before it touched the ground though. The angle and momentum of its travel must have overstressed the substructure of the rocket, causing parts to snap off.

As failiures go, that was spectacular. I am just glad that the rocket was not manned.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I suppose spending all those rupies will make jobs for people

Don't you mean Rubles? Rupies are for the indians mate

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus

Originally posted by rickymouse
I suppose spending all those rupies will make jobs for people

Don't you mean Rubles? Rupies are for the indians mate

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Woops
Yea, I have to try to associate Rubles with Moscow. Let's see
Moscow has ancient traditions, Barney Rubble from the Flintstones. Got it now.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
#e happens in every space programs. Nothing new. Both technology and humans are not perfect. There are human errors and there are technological failures. I'm sure the Russians know it very well as any other nation from way back in time when space race was a priority. I'm sure it will delay the GLONAS program a bit but nothing major.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
well lets see. USA cancelled its Space shuttle program years back. North Korea and Iran have both had failed launches, and the society that ushered in Space travel and put the first humans into space (in this age anyways) has lost ten satellites in seven failed launches in about a years time.

If I were an open minded spectator from the crowd, I would being assuming someone or something no longer wants us in space. Is there a website that keeps tabs on satellite launches and manned missions in orbit?? Would be nice to know exactly how the rest of the world is doing in their endeavors.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Current worldwide launch stats for the past few years:

All Orbital Launch Attempts(Failures)
2013: 36(2)
2012: 78(6)
2011: 84(6)
2010: 74(4)
Crewed Launch Attempts(Failures)
2013: 3(0)
2012: 5(0)
2011: 7(0)
2010: 7(0)

So generally a 5%-8% failure rate. Pretty spectacular when they do fail though.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Here is a HD Version from a distance with sound.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I went to one of the last Shuttle launches before it was retired and I have to say the pounding in your chest from the booster rockets is incredible. I can't possibly imagine the feeling you get from a Explosion shock wave!

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I bet that was insane to watch firsthand.
Plus the percussion from impact? Impressive.
It looks like computational navigation errors from the start.
Didn't seem to have it's "yaw" right...

That is a great video, Slayer. Very nice addition.

Boy them Russians sure know how to wreck stuff.
Probably tried to put vodka in it as liquid fuel to curb costs.

edit on 3-7-2013 by havok because: grammatical sabbatical

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
oo Give them a brake (never mind they
broke it them selfs.
par for the corse . There shuttle was still batter then ours . Nice desine to bad we should have helped them save it.
Its now rusting out in a field .(ever wonder what the US did with our prototype the ENTERPRISE.?

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That was a nice clip. Especially the last bit of soundwave after the explosion

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
ok well I guess overall space launches are doing well. 5-8% isn't too bad. Sure is expensive though. And that video was a hell of a sight. When they crash they sure can burn.

top topics

join