It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snowden requested asylum in Moscow, but withdrew it when asked to cease 'anti-US activity'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Snowden requested asylum in Moscow, but withdrew it when asked to cease 'anti-US activity'

rt.com

“Snowden, by sincere conviction or for some other reason, considers himself to be a human rights activist, a fighter for the ideals of democracy and human freedom. Russian human rights activists and organizations, as well as their colleagues abroad acknowledge this. For this reason, extraditing Snowden to a country like the US where capital punishment is enforced is impossible,” Peskov explained to press.

“Snowden did ask to stay in Russia. However, when he found out Russia’s position on the matter and the associated conditions he decided not to stay in Russia,” said Peskov.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
As you may or may not already know, putin recently requested that if snowden ought to stay in russia, he must cease his actions against the US government.

I can virtually guarantee Putin was laughing so hard when referring to american's as "Partners".

Putin knows just how dirty the US government play the political and economical games with their citizens, the man is an ex KGB agent, he knows just how damaging to the US these leaks are getting, and how they will get allot more damaging in the coming weeks.

Regards,

TOT

rt.com

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Poland says won't grant asylum to Snowden

WARSAW | Tue Jul 2, 2013 1:09pm IST

in.reuters.com/article/2013/07/02/usa-security-snowden-poland-idINDEE96104Y20130702

(Reuters) - Poland has received a document seeking asylum from U.S. spy agency contractor Edward Snowden but its foreign minister said on Tuesday he would not recommend granting the request.

"We received a document that does not meet the requirements for a formal application for asylum," Radoslaw Sikorski wrote on his Twitter account. "Even if it did, I will not give a positive recommendation."

Wikileaks said on its website that Snowden's legal representative applied for asylum in a number of countries, including Russia, China and France.

(Reporting by Chris Borowski; Editing by Christian Lowe)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by wujotvowujotvowujotvo

Of course Poland is a sellout country to.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I don't blame Snowden for turning Putin down.

He gave up everything, risked everything to get the truth out to the world..he was safe and cosy in the USA working for the Government, but gave it all up for principle and for the people to know the truth.

Why would he or anyone having done and put it all on the line as Snowden has done, shut up telling the truth now, simply because of an offer to be safe and cosy in Russia?

What would have been the point?

May as well be hanged for a sheep as for a lamb.

Good for Snowden, i hope he releases EVERYTHING he has, and hopefully a new political structure that is truly transparent, truly for the people and by the people, and truly honest emerges as a result.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I'm tempted to go ninja, get him off the airport and smugle him to Finland. Our law states that asylum can only be asked from within the country and only by the applicant himself.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Poor Snowden, looks like no one really wants him, lol. He's gonna end up somewhere so bad he will end up begging to spend life in prison in America.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

But you know what sissies our politicans are and Island has more guts to actually grant the asylum. IMHO he would better try from Island, In here they would propably sell him out.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I respect Snowden's commitment to his cause, the Americans should be accountable for their actions, so should any country for that matter. I dont see why Snowden has to run away to make a point, he deserves his day in court like any other citizen.

Snowden needs to sue the US Government for breaching his human rights.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by wlasikiewicz
I respect Snowden's commitment to his cause, the Americans should be accountable for their actions, so should any country for that matter. I dont see why Snowden has to run away to make a point, he deserves his day in court like any other citizen.

Snowden needs to sue the US Government for breaching his human rights.

Thing is he would never get a proper and fair trial in the USA..probably not anywhere where the USA's influence can reach either (Assange can tell you a lot about that).

The NSA have been running not only the domestic and international spy rings and data mining centres, but also are involved in running the law courts too. More accurately, making sure the outcomes of the law courts come out the way they want them to, bribing and blackmailing supreme court judges has made sure of that.

The courts have been usurped, like politics, finance and everything else.

Snowden would get NO justice by standing up in court, and he knows it full well.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Maybe he's done it so no ones really sure which country he's going to?

All these nations receiving asylum requests at the same time.. while he apparently waits in a Russia airport?.. or .. wait where is he stuck again?

He's gone.. someones said yes on the quiet and he's on a flight if not landed.

He's a new Bin Laden.. of sorts.
You'll only ever see him in grainy, footage sitting in front of a backdrop reading a prepared speech!
for a few minutes... delivered by some anonymous figure!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
The best bit about the whole Snowden thing: Is that the USA wants to punish him for being a patriotic, caring citizen.

American rights are being violated, freedom of speech says he can say what he wants if its true, NSA has not denied anything, instead the US gov wants to arrest him for treason. The irony is intense on this one.

I hope Mr Snowden gets asylum in a safe country and that the NSA realize that breaching their own citizens rights as they please, does not go down well with the very people that literally pay them to keep them safe.

Kind of reminds me of the movie "the cube", the actual reason for it existing being completely lost in the paper work and secret squirrel meetings.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I wonder how Snowden will 'get out' of Russia without a valid passport ?

You would think he would have obtained some fake I.D. before embarking on this crusade of his.

Something is fishy about the whole deal.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Agreed, I dont think he is as efficient as the Media and Wikileaks have made him out to be. They say he planned all of this, however I think its more like a frantic panic for political asylum.

Regards, TOT

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Everyone wants the truth but when it finally comes out people don't respect it enough. Sometimes its fear, sometimes its brainwashing, sometimes its political games, sometimes its people paid off.

No wonder the world is so messed up. From hero he is risking becoming a martyr. As for putin he doesn't come off honest either. He could of used snowden as propaganda for the BRICK nations, instead he comes off pompous and dismissive.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
He has been rejected by multiple countries.

NEW DELHI: India on Tuesday refused to grant political asylum to USA whistleblower Edward Snowden.

"Our embassy in Moscow did receive a communication dated 30 June from Mr Edward Snowden. That communication did contain a request for asylum," foreign ministry spokesman Syed Akbaruddin said.

"Following careful examination, we have concluded that we see no reason to accede to Snowden's request," Syed Akbaruddin said.

INDIA_REQUEST_DENIED[edit by]edit on 2-7-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Exposing corruption in our American government is not anti- government, rather, it is pro government to expose corrupt and illegal activities by government..

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I wonder how Snowden will 'get out' of Russia without a valid passport ? You would think he would have obtained some fake I.D. before embarking on this crusade of his. Something is fishy about the whole deal.

a passport isn't technically needed if the country approves of his entry.

having said that, i do not think this will end well for snowden. the u.s will wait just long enough for people to forget, then he'll disappear and if it is ever brought up the news will just tell people he's gone into hiding.

i think he has done a very good thing. i don't worship him as a saint, but he definitely did the right thing. he has lost a lot, and he still has more to lose. i hope he keeps leaking things.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by The0nlytruth

rt.com

“Snowden, by sincere conviction or for some other reason, considers himself to be a human rights activist, a fighter for the ideals of democracy and human freedom. Russian human rights activists and organizations, as well as their colleagues abroad acknowledge this. For this reason, extraditing Snowden to a country like the US where capital punishment is enforced is impossible,” Peskov explained to press.

“Snowden did ask to stay in Russia. However, when he found out Russia’s position on the matter and the associated conditions he decided not to stay in Russia,” said Peskov.

He should give Syria or Iran a shot.

I bet they'd take him.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by The0nlytruth

Agreed, I dont think he is as efficient as the Media and Wikileaks have made him out to be. They say he planned all of this, however I think its more like a frantic panic for political asylum.

Regards, TOT

In his original interview, I do believe he either knew or had deep suspicions about what would go on as he said in the below quote:

"You can't come forward against the world's most powerful intelligence agencies and be completely free from risk because they are such powerful adversaries that noone can meaningfully oppose them...The greatest fear that I have regarding the outcome for America of these disclosures is that nothing will change. People will see in the media all of these disclosures and know the lengths that the government is going to grant themselves powers unilaterally to create greater control over American society and global society."

Source

I think he had hope but, based on his expression and eyes, I don't think he honestly has much hope for himself, personally. He knows more about the breadth and scope of the surveillance than we do still. Look at the timing of the disclosures. As he's struggling to find asylum in various countries, with already having a precedence set on how governments would respond, he chose to release the surveillance on the EU leadership. Looking back on the second portion, it should stand out that he remarked on the use of power to create greater control over American society and global society. If you or I responded to the first confirmation of this level of surveillance with an immediate reflection on what the intelligence agencies would be privy to, then, as human beings, even those leaders around the globe who were also targeted would also have that moment of inward reflection. Whereas your or my skeleton in our closet may be a merely embarrassing like that time where you decided to send your loved one a risque photo (hope you liked it, dudes at the NSA!
) what kind of skeletons or decisions may have been made by a leader of a country that could be construed to be entirely unsavory? That is probably the greatest issue with the level of surveillance--if you know everybody's dirt, you can manipulate and exercise powerful control without having to ever fully play your hand. Information is power and, by the timing of his release about EU surveillance, then he both shot himself in the foot because of that instantaneous reflection and revealed a method of manipulation that would likely be used.

I think he had some hopes but I also think that he knew his life was toast in one way or the other. He's been given offers of asylum but attached with agreements of silence. He has refused those because he's not done yet. I can't find the source because there are so many articles out there now but I seem to recall that the disclosures are things that we not only need to know as the public in and of themselves but also part of something much larger. Not 100% but if somebody else remembers that, chime in. If that's the case, then we're being "educated" by these disclosures so we can behold a larger issue with the proper context--not unlike learning how to add and subtract is necessary before doing algebra, I suppose. Overall, if he simply wanted security, he would've taken those offers. He's choosing to continue.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join