It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If all the Gods in History were real, present, and alive today ...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Can i pick the entire religion? or just 1 god?

If its religion, ill pick the millions of gods in Hinduism(includes Buddha!).

Brahma the Creator.
Vishnu the Preserver.
Shiva the Destroyer.

I Win!!! but damn i ate meat!!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

None of the gods are at war with each other over territory, souls, philosophy or anything.
The world is effectively at peace with no major human political disputes.
You can follow any god or pantheon of gods you want, but also be held to follow all the religious laws with both rewards and punishments traditional each mythology.

I prefer to keep it a little more real in this game.

1) Some of the gods are at war as a result of joining in with their human "chosen ones' " wars for territory and influence.
2) The World is not at peace, see 1)
3) I can follow any god or pantheon of gods but must hold to religious laws

First off, I would outright reject the 2 or 3 gods who claim to be the one and only god of the universe. Then I would reject any god claiming to be the sole creator of the World. There is usually an overlap with the one and onlies.

With that said, I realize that I am in a very dangerous position here. I have observed that the "one and onlies" MO is for their followers to hold turf much as rival gangs hold turf. Chances are high that I live within the boundaries of one of these gang turfs. Therefore, much keeping a low profile is necessary.

I would secretly provide a safe haven for the gods and goddesses not engaged in the fighting. They could come and hang out with me whenever they felt inclined to. As for the requirement of following religious laws, they can just check that at the door. If they don't like my rules, then they can just stay away from me.

Surprisingly, there are some interesting goddesses and gods you can hang out with, even with my rules.
edit on 2-7-2013 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

In that case, I'm going to find a way to become a god myself... Then I can make my own toys~

That's what I'm saying!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The only god I'd respect would be Bilious, the oh god of hangovers.

Some of the others are quite good for getting a hangover with mind (but when Thor and YHWH get on the scumpy, it's best to give them a wide berth!)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I'm surprised no one has brought up Cthulu?

Was Chtulu even real, or just an invention of Lovecraft mixed in with Babylonian traditions?

Then there's the whole Evil Dead thing with modern pop culture interpretation of The Necronomicon.
Does no one want to be or fight with Deadites?
Hail to the King baby and all that?

Also, a question to those saying the God of Abraham is the One God that created everything; in a world where ALL the gods that ever existed walk among us, will you argue with other gods that claim THEY created all and everything?
Let's not forget the religion of OZ; the Aboriginal faith in Dreamtime, somewhat similar to the fantasy I'm proposing, where in Aboriginal Dreamtime, it was a time when gods were real and walked the Earth, after it was sang into being.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

The thing is chances are Abrhamic god is very young. remember, a scripture(only 3000yrs old) claiming he existed, while you have religions that are 5000yrs-6000yrs, or even 10,000 yrs old.

Its like me writing a novel now claiming, the god in this novel is older than all the gods.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
It would probably go something like this...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
reply to post by rickymouse

Remember, if you don't choose a patron, you don't go to heaven, paradise, valhalla, whatever.
At the same time too, you don't risk eternal damnation in hell, the tortures of hades, or the more down-sided aspects of an afterlife if you get judged poorly once dead.

There is beer in Valhalla, I suppose I can go see Odin, Thor, and Baldr for a while.
I wonder if I will still get hangovers there.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by longtimelurkerr

I could bore you for days with my unusual beliefs about the universe - and while somewhat unconventional - they do seem to make a lot of sense. Well, to me at least.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

Angels actually have their origin in Babylonian religion as servants of the gods. While Supernatural is an awesome show (my favorite currently on air) they did get that wrong. Angels are intermediaries, a tier (or two) below the big deities of various pantheons.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Keep in mind, as with any and all religions, not all prayers, offerings, sacrifices, or pleas will be answered or answered in the way you might want. Still, you've absolute guarantee that the god or gods you're praying to have heard your request.

The very word 'god' has only a single definition but then, one that has a thousand subdivisions.

God could be an alien that reworked our DNA.
God could be a spirit-being from another dimension.
God could be a form of life that came before us here on Earth that evolved to a point we cannot imagine.
God could be myth created to instill loyalty in the masses and power in a few.

Assuming that there is a reason that every race on the planet has a God (or Goddess) of one kind, number or another, should we not avoid simple assumptions that such beings were the creation of simplistic minds?

Of course, it does inspire the transient and disrepair independence to assume that humanity is in itself neither god-like or capable of existence without deity. I mean, from day one, our species has always had one god or another that came on occasion, intervened when it suited them and left us instructions on how not to fail.

In the end, to believe that human life is simply animalistic; natural and without connection to any place higher, does relieve us of any fear of a hell. We can pretty much do as we please and then close out in silence, darkness and nothingness. No punishment for a bad life is... well, a good thing if one is into such a path, lol.

So, I think that godlessness is first and foremost a convenience because if deity were to arrive today and hold us both as a species and individually accountable for our actions... any hell that may be waiting would quickly be filled.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Sorry about the Hawking's voice.[/url]I would refuse to follow any of them and I would take my lumps; just as I am now. It's a matter of principle and staying true to my Objectivist Metaphysics. Man qua man, has ethical and moral needs for a metaphysic that is not founded in a being that has no need for logic, reason, thought, or emotion.

In Humanity,
Daniel
logic
morality

edit on 2-7-2013 by Philodemus because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2013 by Philodemus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

I understand, but I kinda pictured the OP as an endless bickering fest between gods, then someone like Lucifer comes along and wipes the floor with them. Remember Lucifer isn't just an ordinary angel, he was an archangel. And one prideful one at that.

Now, if given the premise that Gods require worship to gain power, without the worship from the masses, gods would be weak, Lucifer having a strong worship base (pretty much every christian) would be more powerful than they, and would then be able to destroy them handily.

Just a thought.
edit on 2-7-2013 by HauntWok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

I'm surprised no one has brought up Cthulu?

Was Chtulu even real, or just an invention of Lovecraft mixed in with Babylonian traditions?

If the universe is made of energy and consciousness is energy, then yes he is real now if he wasn't before. Infinite worlds - parallel realities - God/Spirits shifting through the physical for those who can see.

Which God do I worship? None.
edit on 2-7-2013 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Well if it were me, I would first look around and see if those who bought into the God thing were doing better than me, and is their belief a big part of their success. If so I might get on board. I think I would pick the one that required the the least pain in the way of sacrifice, or ritual observance.

I would hope that displays of existence would be the way of reward. And would hope that I would not confuse, the regular disasters and tragedies that are the reality of a physical world, with punishment from my chosen deity.

I'd want one that is flashy with a good family history. Or at least a good explanation of it's cause for being.

I think this is good exercise. Just remember don't identify with the god. Identify with that good cozy feeling you get from truly believing in you god. and the relief you receive from placing the ultimate responsibility in you god's control.

I think I like Zeus. He seemed to have a real good position of authority Of course Jesus was a real sweetheart. And he that goes by just God requires that we pretty much put to rest all those previous pretenders.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Aboriginal faith in Dreamtime, somewhat similar to the fantasy I'm proposing, where in Aboriginal Dreamtime, it was a time when gods were real and walked the Earth, after it was sang into being.

I had to look that up. It seems that much of primitive shamanic beliefs were taken over by city type religions. Names were changed, roles were shifted, and deeds were ascribed to others.

I fear that shamanism will never be a major system in the World again. Those shamans who pop up here and there are forced into a position of speaking in the religious jargon of the cultures they find themselves in. It's a bit disconcerting. I'm getting tired of other people's religions, I really am.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Something I've noticed, expected and find amusing as a trend in this thread is; "What can the gods DO for ME?"

Aren't we supposed to give ourselves over entirely to the faith and trust in our gods?
Isn't it about what you can do for your god as opposed to what your god can do for you?
You're suppose to worship, sacrifice, and remain faithful to your god.

Instead, as evidenced in many posts, including my own in the OP we see ME, ME, ME.
What can God(s) X do for ME?

This brings up the debate regarding modern real-world religious faith. If ME, ME, ME, is the true state of the human condition, then, what are the faiths of modern day, real world currently practiced religions doing for each and every individual 'ME'?

Certainly there's the heritage aspect, as well as the regional aspect to be taken into account where many will default to one of the Abrahamic religions, Eastern practices, or whatever is most prevalent in their geographic socioeconomic climate, as well as what their parents bring them up to believe.
Still, as people of supposed FREE WILL, and the choices available, even now in the real world, how is it we still have so few actually making choices based on 'ME'?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

The problem is that there is no RATIONAL self-interest. Only irrationality. The "ME ME ME" comes from fighting the altruism and collectivism that has been forced on us; the altruism and collectivism that goes counter to our natures as men.

"The Virtue of Selfishness" by A. Rand

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Hail PAN!!

The Great Mystery, ALL.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

This brings up the debate regarding modern real-world religious faith. If ME, ME, ME, is the true state of the human condition, then, what are the faiths of modern day, real world currently practiced religions doing for each and every individual 'ME'?

Taking away human imagination.

I wanted to add this video to my previous post regarding Dreamland Shamanism, but edit time was expired.

"If we're about to die anyway, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me, G'mork! *I* am Atreyu!"

ATREYU
But why is Fantasia dying, then?

G'MORK
Because people have begun to lose their hopes and forget their dreams. So the Nothing grows stronger.

ATREYU
What is the Nothing?

G'MORK
It's the emptiness that's left. It's like a despair, destroying this world. And I have been trying to help it.

ATREYU
But why?

G'MORK
Because people who have no hopes are easy to control; and whoever has the control... has the power!
edit on 2-7-2013 by pthena because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join