It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Must watch movie for those preparing for survival

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I watched this movie about a month ago and have contemplated making a post about it ever since. IMO this is a very insightful video that really shows that no matter how prepared a person is for surviving in the wilds they very rarely are truly prepared for the physical end psychological effects that you will experience.

Ed Wardle was more equipped than most anyone would be in a SHTF or survival situation and he still had an extremely hard time keeping up with his calorie requirements and handling the psychological effects of loneliness in the wild for 3 months. This is evident when at the very beginning right after the plane flies away he is hit with the sudden realization of aloneness and isolation.

There is some speculation that this video was scripted, however whether it was or not, which I really don't think it was due to his actions, it is a very good insight of just how rough surviving in the wild actually is even with the gear and preparedness that he had.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
There was a show on PPS about a guy named Tom Riddlen (Sp) he did the same thing back in the 60 he lived the rest of his life in the wilderness. He used nothing but the basic tools to build a cabin ect. Look it up good story as well.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Actually cried a tad at the end. Sad to see him go so far and not be able to complete it. But he should have also called it off as soon as he accepted the food they dropped.
I myself wouldn't have the same issue with the not having people around. Not much of a people person myself.

I think if he was able to kill big game he might have had a better chance and in a survival situation I'd also like a pellet gun because birds are food as well. And that bear he was afraid of well it's also on my food chain.

Speaking of a bear a good bear movie would be The Edge it's a airplane crash type movie with a blood thirsty bear. Survival type in it's own way.
Thanks for posting this OP enjoyed watching it.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I myself wouldn't have the same issue with the not having people around. Not much of a people person myself.

Yes. you will and more than likely be worse off than others because your in denial about a psychological aberration you have never experienced.

Myself, I knew from others that taking any kind of mementos was a bad moment waiting to happen. However I did have a calender that I used in making a celestial map and therefore I knew the exact date of Christmas and that is when I had my biggest psychological issues.

As far as if this is scripted or not I don't really know. This gentleman emotion is similar to what I experienced so I would conclude that he has experienced SHU syndrome (Social-Sensory Deprivation Syndrome) and he understands how to get on top of his fears with a positive attitude.

You can learn some things from these videos however it is very limited what you can learn from them that you can use in a survival emergency. Les Stroud is a very good instructor when it comes to the problem of Sensory Deprivation and talks frequently about the need of a positive attitude.

The early trappers and so called 'mountain men' that first came into the Cumberland Gap in the late 1700's had developed sensory skills far superior to the early settlers simply because they spent so much time alone among the wildlife-and there was 10 times MORE wildlife then as there is now. They domesticated and made pets out of any creature they could capture and care fore. I knew this and made pets out of mice and a terrapin (land turtle) that I accidentally dug up. If you can learn and understand how people survived-when they had no choice-it's a much bigger help than watching some video done in modern times when the situation in never in doubt. The person in the video is never in any real danger except for an accident of some kind and everyone knows that you can slip and drown in a bathtub with an inch of water in it.

These shows are OK for beginners however they simply don't have the realism of death that forces you to adapt mentally and physically and use your own primitive ingenuity(that we all have) to survive.
edit on 2-7-2013 by spooky24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I think different folks will respond differently to the psychological aspects. A typical loner may have no trouble...whereas someone with a family will miss that family soon. Just look at the TV show Survivor. It's only what? 45 days or so? Yet these people break down when getting a note from home or seeing a loved one. A technology addict will suffer more than one who would prefer never to carry a cell phone. Etc.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Think this old timer has this guy beat.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Ya, dick was a true boss at what he did.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
He had good survival skills, tools, beautiful place, not too hot, not too cold, and he lasted 50 days...

The whole food thing was a major contributing factor IMO.. A Moose or two would have kept his tummy full and spirits a bit more positive......

The psychological aspects of his quest for the first 30 days or so IMO was completely normal with the highs and lows of his attitude. Same thing to a lesser extent happens when some people changes jobs...At first the excitement of the new job, then what have I gotten myself into, no like , and then after a few months hey this ain't so bad after all...Change affects different people in different ways but hunger eats the body and spirit away about as fast as anything until you get to the point of giving up laying down to die because you have no energy for anything else.

Thank you for posting the video........ let us all hope none of us ever have to face that type of survival situation unless it is by choice and we can call someone to come save us when we find the dream is not based in the reality of what it takes to survive.....

new topics

top topics

join