It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 30 Million Bees Found Dead In Elmwood Canada

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Hi peeps...

Yet again there has been another huge dent in our bee-loved bee population. A man who runs a honey operation in Elmwood, Ontario, Canada has lost 600 hives...

About 37 million bees were found dead. Dave Schuit is blaming neonicotinoids.

Shortly after 50,000 bees were found dead in an Oregon parking lot (read more here), a staggering 37 million bees have been found dead in Elmwood, Ontario, Canada. Dave Schuit, who runs a honey operation in Elmwood has lost 600 hives. He is pointing the finger at the insecticides known as neonicotinoids, which are manufactured by Bayer CropScience Inc. This also comes after a recent report released by the British Beekeepers Association (BBKA) that recorded its largest loss of honeybees ever. You can read more about that here. The European Union has stepped forward, having banned multiple pesticides that have been linked to killing millions of bees.

The loss comes after the planting of corn. Neonicotinoid pesticides are used to coat corn seed with air seeders. This results in having the pesticide dust blown into the air when planted. The death of millions of pollinators was studied by Purdue University. They discovered that Bees exhibited neurotoxic symptoms. They analyzed dead bees and found that traces of thiamethoxam/clothiandin were present in each case. The only major source of these compounds are seed treatments of field crops.

www.collective-evolution.com...

If we carry on continuing to turn away from the bees. We will suffer for it. And too right. We all know the neonicotinoids are one of the main problems. The other being the bizarre weather this year..

If you want to help the bees, Build them a bee hotel. Plant bee friendly flowers. Many of which are liked by butterflies and other insects aswell. Support your local honey suppliers. Do as best you can...!

Peace
Fluff

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

"Over 30 Million Bees Found Dead In Elmwood Canada" could Monsanto and the promotion of GMO crops be involved in all of this?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

"Over 30 Million Bees Found Dead In Elmwood Canada" could Monsanto and the promotion of GMO crops be involved in all of this?

Hi caladonea...

Yes most probably. The man who owns and cares for the honey operations suspect it is the neonicotinoid pesticides. Three neonictonoids have been recently banned in the EU. But over seas sadly it is not..

There may be a follow up after wherein there is an explanation as to what and how these bees died. Dying in the millions like that all at once. Seems easily plausible that the pesticides have a hell of a lot to answer for..!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
That is a lot of bees. I think we lost of honey bees here from the severe winter, I see some bumble bees but none of the honey bees. I suppose that is normal around here, the winter was long. I think it may be a bad year for blueberries and raspberries this years with less bees. We'll have to wait and see.

I hate hearing about bees dying. They are one of the most necessary creatures in this world. Earthworms are just as necessary, needed to break up dead material. The pesticide also kills earthworms. Talk about a double whammy.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

Its the GMO corn, after recent plantings.

The loss comes after the planting of corn. Neonicotinoid pesticides are used to coat corn seed with air seeders. This results in having the pesticide dust blown into the air when planted. The death of millions of pollinators was studied by Purdue University. They discovered that Bees exhibited neurotoxic symptoms. They analyzed dead bees and found that traces of thiamethoxam/clothiandin were present in each case. The only major source of these compounds are seed treatments of field crops.

Monsanto, and Bayer, partners in international bee crimes.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

could Monsanto and the promotion of GMO crops be involved in all of this?

from the books I have read bees appear to have a higher immunity to the bt toxin in gmos, not that it could be some unknown protein or other toxin in them. Its more often pesticides from Bayer like was mentioned in the OP

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
This is very sad. Such a small insect yet it has such a huge impact on us and whether we eat or not. This is an ongoing issue, with science looking at the nicotine based insecticides, GMO crops and assorted other factors. Here is an article with a recent study here in the US. Excerpt is quoted below.

U.S. beekeepers have been reporting annual hive deaths of about 30 percent or higher for much of the past 10 years, but this past winter marked the worst loss ever — nearly 40 to 50 percent or more. The loss was so bad that California’s almond growers had to scramble to find enough bees to pollinate the state’s 800,000 acres of almond trees this spring. Tim Tucker, vice-president of the American Beekeeping Federation and owner of Tuckerbees Honey, which lost half of its hives this past winter, told The Guardian: “Other crops don’t need as many bees as the California almond orchards do, so shortages are not yet apparent, but if trends continue, there will be. Current [bee] losses are not sustainable. The trend is down, as is the quality of bees. In the long run, if we don’t find some answers, and the vigor continues to decline, we could lose a lot of bees.”
billmoyers.com...

The main thing is that we find the cause and fix it.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
as the story states bees word wide are having a hard time with mites / pollution from pesticides and wifi which many think are having a devastating effect .

i worked as an apiarist for a while and understand when the bees go we will follow soon after

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
our world has been hijacked. what's good is bad.
and it is coming everyones way soon.

the bee plays a big role in freemasonry and it's symbology.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Boy, this just ticks me off to no end!! When are our scientists and chemical companies going to realize they are putting us on the path to annihilation?!! Why haven't they looked down the road to see the inevitable consequences?! Are they really that short-sighted?

This world needs a reboot fast!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I feel for the honeybees and the people who own apiaries, but we need to start thinking about saving the native bees now. Without access to wild pollinators, we will be in big trouble in the next decade.

www.fruit.cornell.edu...

www.ces.ncsu.edu...

www.nyshs.org...

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Folks, I hope you understand we Don't have to do a damn thing, if we keep things up, we won't have a choice, the earth is going to just shake us off like fleas to a dog. Even a bad infestation a dog will submerge himself in water, rinse and repeat until they are gone to a level that is tolerable.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
As much as I hate an am scared of bees this is quite saddening given how beneficial the bees are to our eco system. Given how much they do for us we should be looking for ways to save and re-balance our eco-system, yet it seems most are more in it for imbalancing it even more.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I read a quote from Einstein (globalclimatechange.wordpress.com...) that if the bees go, we have about 4 years to live. Sounds about right.
I was talking to a co-worker and I said well, the aliens should be able to help us if they are really here, and he said, "maybe they don't want to help us" which is a good point. What better way to clear off a planet? Make a nice clean living planet for a new species. Then they could re populate with their own bees and civilization without destroying to much of the habitat.
Good thinking aliens. They probably gave the gene splicing technology to a select few scientists and guided humanity on this path of self destruction.
Brilliant.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
The real problem is, instead of banning the products that are killing bee's, we now have funding to create robot pollinators. So yet another creature can become extinct, and we as arrogant humans think we have a solution that will make it ok.

Sorry, but we are idiots.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Does anyone know what the range of a honeybee is?
I've always wondered how far they travel from the hive as we've seen fewer honeybees this summer.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Here is an interesting study about that. It's older, but an interesting read.
Bee's travel

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I think most honey bees fly within 2-4 miles of the hive. But they have been seen to go and twice and even three times that distance. I think really it depends on a few factors. Mainly how far do they have to fly to find food..

www.beesource.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Completely agree with that. When I first saw the 'robo-bee' I was completely puzzled. Why on earth would you need 'robo-bees'. Are they planning on getting rid of our bees. If so why. Bees will do a much better job and a pretty to look at. Also the robo-bees do not make honey. Why waste all that energy making the robo-bees in the first place when nature had an idea for that long ago.

Does not compute in my head. We are shooting ourselves and the lives of millions of other beings and the earth, in the bloody foot...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by wrkn4livn

I had read that too. Although I looked it up and we would survive but a huge amount of the population would die..

Not really the way to go..!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join