It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foreign reporter raped in Tahrir Square

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Didn't you get sort of depressed when you found out about how women's rights can be ignored over in that area? I read a few articles about the customs as applied to rape when my daughter was going school in India, it was kind of depressing. My daughter wore the wraps while she was in India and wasn't bothered. I told here that our family name may also protect her there as it is a holy name in India.

Depressed is putting it lightly, here we are in the 21 century and nothing changes.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

The infiltration is hard to ignore. Not that I would have voted for McCain,
but his constant attack on those who question Obama makes him obvious
for the stooge that he is.

Here is a good video with insight into the real situation.
One point that is made in the video, how interesting it is that Morsi's
supporters in Egypt carry al qaeda flags.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

The infiltration is hard to ignore. Not that I would have voted for McCain,
but his constant attack on those who question Obama makes him obvious
for the stooge that he is.

Here is a good video with insight into the real situation.
One point that is made in the video, how interesting it is that Morsi's
supporters in Egypt carry al qaeda flags.

www.youtube.com...

LOL@ McCain, obvious to me now that election was a farce,

TY for the video, will check it out,

We have been predicting so many things that are coming to fruition, I don't know how some can still ignore it,

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Oh, I missed the more recent one. Ack.. My bad. I'd seen headlines this morning about this older one in a number of places around the world and had been rather put off already by that.

I guess it's a brutal way to learn the Press Card isn't a badge or shield and to the local people of any country they're reporting in? They're actually seen as worse than average, all too often. I wouldn't enter Tahrir Square without a full crew with me and I'm not female. Even there, I'd be watching my OWN back as much as those I was having paid to do it were.

Dangerous place for anyone not directly a part of events there. INSANELY dangerous place for a Western Female. I know we're all about equal this and equal that in the West. That isn't the West. Egypt is great about education, culture and civilized behavior for the region of course...but plenty of the individuals there still figure a woman's place is at home and should be beaten mercilessly if she forgets that.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
What do you expect from the egyptian society where many(not all) believe in female genital mutilation. Its a very male dominant society. That too at a politically charged rally and protests and the presence of a 'foreigner'. Why do networks keep sending female reporters into a troubled and unstable region for news coverage? This isn't the first time a foreign reporter has been raped/molested in Egypt.

It has been condemned by international health organisations for years. It was made illegal in Egypt in 2008, and yet it is still very widely practised.
In some rural areas in Egypt, it is estimated that more than 75% of women have had the procedure, but it is common in urban areas too.
In fact, of course, the procedure means varying amounts of a girl's genitalia are cut away. In rural areas it is often done without anaesthetic.
"I had the operation done for each of my three girls when they were 11 years old," Ms Abdel-Razek tells me. "I told each daughter this operation is extremely important, and that it is just like having their tonsils removed."
In very extreme cases so much is removed that the wound fuses to leave only a small hole through which to urinate.

Then we also have idiots who make statements like the one below in Egypt.

While, in the past, some clerics in Egypt have stated that female genital mutilation has no religious basis, other clerics continue to openly advocate it.

"'Circumcision' is ordered by Allah, Sharia [Islamic religious law] from Allah. Orders from Allah must be realised," says Sheikh Yussef al-Badri, a cleric who has repeatedly petitioned the country's courts to make female genital mutilation legal again.

SOURCE
edit on 1-7-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
her employers have a lot to answer for as it is well known that women are abused at this square in Egypt .

i hope she sues them not that money can make up for a rape but her bosses never really thought that one out .

where were her fellow workers or bodyguards / shocked

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Not to poke fun by any means at this sad and horrific incident but what if they used fat and ugly women instead? What would be the outcome? Is it more about asserting power or domination from the general male population (not all) similar to a prison where men rape men generally for domination? Or it was a sexual opportunity with a descent looking western female reporter regardless of the political belief?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join