It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt's military gives politicians a 48-hour ultimatum

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
This news clip about is all good. One protester says he wants these demonstrations to be a message for US & EU & to let them know the person they chosen, they as in US & EU, will be removed.

Could you imagine if enough Americans across the country began to protest the gov't? Imagine this happened when Bush was in office? I'll take Obama too, but I also want all the war criminals of past and present. Maybe this is why protesting has been ignored and mocked in America because the criminal American gov't & their cronies do not want this to ever happen. They want Americans distracted and ignorant and to let apathy, mixed in with fear, rule the lands.

That said, people have been killed during these protests and women raped so a moment of silence for them is in order. If this was ever to happen in America I pray no crimes like this would happen. Peaceful protests would be nice but trouble is always a brewin...

to let America and Europe know the person they choose (as in the US & EU) they will remove.
edit on 1-7-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Except in Egypt millions across the country are banding together in protest and they have the military supporting them, unlike Syria, so I disagree and don't see a civil war happening. There will be, however, terrorist attacks in their future. The protesters themselves are already guilty of committing acts of terror but actual terrorists organization support the Muslim Brotherhood and are always close by. Although, when the Egyptian people ousted Mubarak did they suffer from an increase in terrorist attacks? Either way, Islamist radicals/extremists support the Muslim Brotherhood and are doing their best to install Sharia Law so if their guy gets kicked out they'll probably seek revenge cause nothing gets the blood boiling faster than religion AND politics.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Redarguo

How could the military ever be separated from politics when it's politicians who rule the military... well except in this case
. Every single military is now and has forever been intertwined with politics.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mike dangerously

I'm predicting terrorist attacks which is really effin scary since so many people are in one space. I'm praying for the safety of everyone at the protests and that no terrorists dare do such a thing.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

How could the military ever be separated from politics when it's politicians who rule the military... well except in this case
. Every single military is now and has forever been intertwined with politics.

You misunderstand, all uk soldiers for example, part of there contract is to uphold the democracy of the UK, they can not interfere with politics, ie issue an ultimatum.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Muhammad Morsi, steps down, and some other pundit from the MB takes his place. Democracy doesn't work in the ME, they need dictators to keep all those radical muslims in line with the power of fear. The only power those people respect is fear. Even democracy will fail given enough time, corruption will eat it's way into anything made by the hands of men.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Muhammad Morsi, steps down, and some other pundit from the MB takes his place. Democracy doesn't work in the ME, they need dictators to keep all those radical muslims in line with the power of fear. The only power those people respect is fear. Even democracy will fail given enough time, corruption will eat it's way into anything made by the hands of men.

Strangely I think that you may have a point, a lot of tribalism in the middle east, so much sectarianism. Id probably choose freedom over stability tho.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

So by not interfering they are upholding democracy?

I understand what you're saying but each case is different. The US service members are allowed to engage in politics, just not in uniform or as a representative for whatever branch they serve, but no matter what, they are ordered to listen to their chain of command which includes the President as being numero uno. That's why I can't image this situation ever happening in the US.

But Egypts military is unlike the UK & the US.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Armed Forces enjoy considerable power and independence within the Egyptian state.[8] They are also influential in business, engaging in road and housing construction, consumer goods, resort management,[8] and vast tracts of real estate. Much military information is not made publicly available, including budget information, the names of the general officers and the military’s size (which is considered a state secret).[8] According to journalist Joshua Hammer, "as much as 40% of the Egyptian economy" is controlled by the Egyptian military.[9]

That first sentence really answers your question. This is how the military can oust any gov't representatives it sees fit. So it's nice to see the military join the protesters but lets not forget who also helps fund and supply that Egyptian military, so.... trouble is always brewin'.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

So by not interfering they are upholding democracy?

I understand what you're saying but each case is different. The US service members are allowed to engage in politics, just not in uniform or as a representative for whatever branch they serve, but no matter what, they are ordered to listen to their chain of command which includes the President as being numero uno. That's why I can't image this situation ever happening in the US.

But Egypts military is unlike the UK & the US.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Armed Forces enjoy considerable power and independence within the Egyptian state.[8] They are also influential in business, engaging in road and housing construction, consumer goods, resort management,[8] and vast tracts of real estate. Much military information is not made publicly available, including budget information, the names of the general officers and the military’s size (which is considered a state secret).[8] According to journalist Joshua Hammer, "as much as 40% of the Egyptian economy" is controlled by the Egyptian military.[9]

That first sentence really answers your question. This is how the military can oust any gov't representatives it sees fit. So it's nice to see the military join the protesters but lets not forget who also helps fund and supply that Egyptian military, so.... trouble is always brewin'.

My point is the military, police, the civil services ect should be accountable to a democratically elected body ie the government and parliament (or equivalent) not the other way around, that in effect is a military dictatorship. The Egyptian military pulled this trick last time, look like they are on the side of the protesters, they stay in power who ever seems to be running the country is replaced...and repeat. I can't remember the figure but the Egyptian military own a crazy amount of the industry, at one point forcing workers on strike to work in their factories, not long before the last revolution. like your quote hints at, they have a lot of power and influence for the armed forces.
edit on 1-7-2013 by Redarguo because: (no reason given)

Should the production of pasta, mineral water, butane gas cylinders and gas station services qualify as classified military secrets? And does discussing these enterprises in public pass as a crime of high treason? The leaders of the Egyptian armed forces believe the answer is “yes.”.........

www.egyptindependent.com...
edit on 1-7-2013 by Redarguo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Like I said I hear you but you have to take in the whole situation. Ever since Morsi took power, along with his Muslim Brotherhood friends, they've tried to take over Egypt, starting with Sharia law. The protesting in Egypt hasn't stopped since Mubarak was replaced, it's been on going ever since and the majority has always been against the Muslim Brotherhood. The MB can rally some numbers but clearly they are always going to be the minority. So after years and years of protesting this weekends demonstration, being the worlds largest to date, is the straw that broke the military's back. Clearly it's time for them to step in yet again.

Now the problem here is that Washington DC has become cushy friends with the Brotherhood so will they threaten to end foreign aid to Egypt's military? Keep an eye on DC.

The Egyptian gov't wing that represents the military backs their statement.

Multimedia Egypt interior ministry declares support for armed forces' statement

english.ahram.org.eg...

Egypt's interior ministry has issued a statement declaring its "full support" for the armed forces' Monday statement regarding political developments in Egypt.

"The police forces announce their full solidarity with the armed forces' statement out of concern for national security and Egypt's best interests at this critical juncture," read the ministry statement.

The interior ministry reiterated its vow to perform its role of protecting the citizenry and vital institutions, as well as safeguarding protesters' security.

"The police force stands at equal distance from all political powers; it is not biased towards one faction of society at the expense of another," the statement read.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Like I said I hear you but you have to take in the whole situation. Ever since Morsi took power, along with his Muslim Brotherhood friends, they've tried to take over Egypt, starting with Sharia law. The protesting in Egypt hasn't stopped since Mubarak was replaced, it's been on going ever since and the majority has always been against the Muslim Brotherhood. The MB can rally some numbers but clearly they are always going to be the minority. So after years and years of protesting this weekends demonstration, being the worlds largest to date, is the straw that broke the military's back. Clearly it's time for them to step in yet again.

Now the problem here is that Washington DC has become cushy friends with the Brotherhood so will they threaten to end foreign aid to Egypt's military? Keep an eye on DC.

The Egyptian gov't wing that represents the military backs their statement.

Multimedia Egypt interior ministry declares support for armed forces' statement

english.ahram.org.eg...

Egypt's interior ministry has issued a statement declaring its "full support" for the armed forces' Monday statement regarding political developments in Egypt.

"The police forces announce their full solidarity with the armed forces' statement out of concern for national security and Egypt's best interests at this critical juncture," read the ministry statement.

The interior ministry reiterated its vow to perform its role of protecting the citizenry and vital institutions, as well as safeguarding protesters' security.

"The police force stands at equal distance from all political powers; it is not biased towards one faction of society at the expense of another," the statement read.

Fair point. I edited my post above to give an alternate take on their military,. Another point I would add is that although Mubarak was a dictator, who sent people to be tortured, it was the same military structure that was carrying it out. Maybe they are the only ones that can bring stability tho . I'm just curious tho as to why the don't have a legal (for lack of a better word) method of removing a government that obviously lack both political and public support, ie early election.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Without a doubt I'm sure a thread could be created that focused on the Egyptian military in a negative light. What major corporation couldn't be painted in such a way? I'm sure that military is guilty of a many things.

As far as it being legal? Well, we have 2 days to see what develops. It could turn in a complete legal matter, but it could not. If Morsi refuses what then? I think the military is very worried about millions of people angry and in the streets. Mob mentality is a stupid and dangerous mentality so I suspect the military doesn't want to fight the people so they are letting Morsi and his gang know the jig is up and it's time to give these people an answer they are happy with because this is about to blow up.

God help Morsi if he doesn't satisfy the millions of Egyptians!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Without a doubt I'm sure a thread could be created that focused on the Egyptian military in a negative light. What major corporation couldn't be painted in such a way? I'm sure that military is guilty of a many things.

As far as it being legal? Well, we have 2 days to see what develops. It could turn in a complete legal matter, but it could not. If Morsi refuses what then? I think the military very worried about millions of people angry and in the streets. Mob mentality is a stupid and dangerous mentality so I suspect the miltiary doesn't want to fight the people so they are letting Morsi and his gang know the jig is up and it's time to give these people an answer they are happy with because this is about to blow up.

God help Morsi if he doesn't satisfy the millions of Egyptians!

Aye, definitely. Hope the people get peace tho

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I'm hoping the world is getting sick of war and would like to try something new, like being peaceful in everything they do.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
I expect Egypt to devolve in to another Syria

it is almost there.

Civil War.

wow, I hate the thought of that,

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Arab Spring 2.0
This is very similar to what Turkey is experiencing...and what Iran experienced in 2009 (when Obama failed to help).

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

That's right. It's easy to forget Turkey is in turmoil too. The Middle East is shaky these days, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Libya, Iraq, Syria, Iran is okay cept for the constant bullying, and now Egypt is breaking down again looking to rebuild.

Arab 2.0 indeed.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Looks promising so far.

Armed forces spokesman: Egypt military doctrine does not permit coups

english.ahram.org.eg...

Following Monday's armed forces statement, military spokesman asserts that Egyptian army doctrine does not allow for 'military coups'

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

You'd have to rally your people for the largest demonstration in history first, like the Egyptians did last sunday.

*Demonstration as in 14 million people on the street (in a nation of 84 million).
I'm afraid a flashmob-picnic at Chic-fil-A just won't cut it...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Looks promising so far.

Armed forces spokesman: Egypt military doctrine does not permit coups

english.ahram.org.eg...

Following Monday's armed forces statement, military spokesman asserts that Egyptian army doctrine does not allow for 'military coups'

Yeah ive been reading some news that's says they are ordering , cross party agreement to settle the crisis, or they will step in. Much more acceptable than I originally thought.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join