It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to simply dislike homosexual behavior without being labeled a homophobe?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by Paschar0

Making a general statement like "those kinds of people" is often used for bigotry.

Next time just wait till you've thought of the best way to convey your thoughts. Could have saved you some hassle.

Finally!

Can't have a homosexuality discussion without someone bringing up BIGOTRY . . .

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

No your right i wouldtn do that, but i know some that might do that hehe

I agree with you in this - the only part i dont agree with you is when you
say that being exited over 2 girls is just as unnatural as two guys getting together.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sepium
It's a fine line between disliking the behaviour and being homophobic. I think the issue is more or less that the kind of behaviour is typically seen as a representation of homosexual men, even though not all of them act in that manner. It's a stereotype that a lot of them play true to because it's one way to project their identity without being disrespected. The problem is that homophobia has been present for a long time, and in that time homosexuals have been repressed and dehumanised by ignorant people. Acting in that manner is a way to be proud of their sexual identity, it's like a barrier against all kind of homophobic idiots.

I think that having that opinion in this day and age will equate to homophobia in the eyes of many people, not because it is necessarily homophobic (in your case) but because any kind of disdain for that behaviour can be perceived as an attack on homosexuality. That is because it's a behaviour and a stereotype that homosexuals have identified with because it allows them to be openly gay, it's like a barrier. In short, any attack on that kind of behaviour may be perceived as an attack on homosexuals and the LGBT community.

With all that being said, even if you do have a problem with that kind of behaviour you don't have the right to voice that opinion to anyone acting that way, whoever it may be, because no human has the right to attack and abuse someone else's identity.

Homophobia implies a fear of homosexuals.

So far it doesn't sound like anyone is really afraid of homosexuals so much as extremely flamboyant, attention seeking behavior annoys them.

EDIT
www.merriam-webster.com...

Definition of HOMOPHOBIA
: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals

Are you trying to identify flamboyant behavior as indicative of homosexuality?

How do you consolidate this with the large portion of the homosexual population that does not engage in this behavior?
edit on 30-6-2013 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FriedBabelBroccoli

Originally posted by sepium
It's a fine line between disliking the behaviour and being homophobic. I think the issue is more or less that the kind of behaviour is typically seen as a representation of homosexual men, even though not all of them act in that manner. It's a stereotype that a lot of them play true to because it's one way to project their identity without being disrespected. The problem is that homophobia has been present for a long time, and in that time homosexuals have been repressed and dehumanised by ignorant people. Acting in that manner is a way to be proud of their sexual identity, it's like a barrier against all kind of homophobic idiots.

I think that having that opinion in this day and age will equate to homophobia in the eyes of many people, not because it is necessarily homophobic (in your case) but because any kind of disdain for that behaviour can be perceived as an attack on homosexuality. That is because it's a behaviour and a stereotype that homosexuals have identified with because it allows them to be openly gay, it's like a barrier. In short, any attack on that kind of behaviour may be perceived as an attack on homosexuals and the LGBT community.

With all that being said, even if you do have a problem with that kind of behaviour you don't have the right to voice that opinion to anyone acting that way, whoever it may be, because no human has the right to attack and abuse someone else's identity.

Homophobia implies a fear of homosexuals.

So far it doesn't sound like anyone is really afraid of homosexuals so much as extremely flamboyant, attention seeking behavior annoys them.

I never said anyone was afraid of homosexuals... I was pointing out that attacking that behaviour can be interpreted by people as homophobia because of the connection that behaviour has with homosexuals, and further more, with homophobia. That behaviour is often used by homophobes as the stereotypical image of gay men, and some people would say that having a problem with that behaviour equates to homophobia.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FriedBabelBroccoli

So doesn't it makes sense that "..extremely flamboyant, attention seeking behavior..." would have been the better expression of his feelings than the classic "...those people.", or "...you people."?

Is it not a popular meme "you people" and "those people" being used in hate speech against African Americans?

Does it surprise you that someone could mistakenly hear bigotry or racism in those words?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by FriedBabelBroccoli

So doesn't it makes sense that "..extremely flamboyant, attention seeking behavior..." would have been the better expression of his feelings than the classic "...those people.", or "...you people."?

Is it not a popular meme "you people" and "those people" being used in hate speech against African Americans?

Does it surprise you that someone could mistakenly hear bigotry or racism in those words?

He defined the behavior in the first few lines of his post and then refers to it as 'them' or 'those people' so as to avoid unnecessary repetition of the previous statement. This is a common literary practice.

You on the other hand clearly ignore that and are looking for any means possible to compare the OP to a bigot, if not outright calling them one.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by FriedBabelBroccoli

Are you trying to identify flamboyant behavior as indicative of homosexuality?

How do you consolidate this with the large portion of the homosexual population that does not engage in this behavior?
edit on 30-6-2013 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

I'm not saying that all homosexuals act in that manner, I merely mentioned that the stereotypical behaviour mentioned in the original post is often played up as a defence mechanism. It is not indicative of all homosexuals. It would be oppressive and ignorant to assume that every single gay person acted in the same manner under the same identity, and I didn't say anything along those lines. I pointed out that attacking that kind of behaviour can be perceived as an attack on all homosexuals purely because it is a behaviour that is often (unfortunately) related to them. I also attempted to explain the way sometimes this flamboyant behaviours is played up in a means of defence against homophobes.
edit on 30-6-2013 by sepium because: .

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Is it possible to not like black people and brown people without being labeled a racist?

I didn't realized that being black or brown was a behavior....

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Calling someone a bigot or homophobe is the modern way of calling someone a ni**er because they don't support the same POV as you do.

www.merriam-webster.com...

Definition of BIGOT
: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Your words in this and other threads reflects the attitude cited in the definition. For example, when you make posts along the lines of 'can't wait for people like you to die out.'

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paschar0

Why do you need to say anything? Why can't you just let people be? If you "don't like it" you don't have some kind of obligation to make it clear.

Because when you're standing next to me acting like an ass it's intruding on my personal space.

This is the hypocrisy I'm talking about, "I demand my right to act as I want, while refusing others that same right".

You can't have it both ways, if you want the freedom to be who you want to be, you have to afford others that same right.

You don't need to intrude on others because YOU find them "annoying". A bigger man would accept that there are people different to them and keep their opinions to themselves in social situations.

And I agree, we probably wouldn't get on. I'm a straight acting metaller, I've learned that judging people by their appearance or mannerisms never works, I don't feel the need to judge others on such meaningless drivel, I judge people by their actions, personality and character.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

Could you hang out or be friends with gay guys just as long they didn't act "gay"?

Odds are that you already do.

I could and I do.

My father-in-law is gay and we get along just fine. If he pranced around like a fruit loop and acted like the group the OP described I would go out of my way to avoid him because it would annoy me.

How does that work - is he married to your dad?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013

And I agree, we probably wouldn't get on. I'm a straight acting metaller, I've learned that judging people by their appearance or mannerisms never works, I don't feel the need to judge others on such meaningless drivel, I judge people by their actions, personality and character.

So there is no behaviors that you dislike or disagree with? Not a single one develops a single negative reaction on your part?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I would dislike a bunch of ugly drunken poor women, smoking and holding each other up with rolls of fat handing out and make up smudged across their face as they sing in the street at 2am.

Does that make me gay?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Basically its thought crime now to dislike anyone that society says its not okay to dislike. Its a horrible double standard really. You are supposed to be open and accept everyone except for those who dislike others.
What it comes down to a large portion of the US is in fact retarded and what people have done is take all this political correctness brainwashing and embraced it like it puts them on some moral high ground.
If you don't like homosexual behavior its okay, you are not a homophobe or a bigot or anything else the mindless may call you. Funny, just now i used a shortened version of homosexual but i put the full word because someone would be bound to alert the moderators after they recovered from their mini stroke.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
kk..sat with along time friend of mine who at one point accused me of being a homophobe.... it took all my will power not to slap him into next week.....

so i took him to one side and said this..... '' all homosexual practices i find abhorrent but not the persons who practice them..that defines my sexuality as a hetrosexual...now lets turn this around '' ... i said....'' imagine waking up one morning and you're naked..next to you is a beautiful naked woman..how would you feel and react ? ''....... he looked at me horrified and answered ... '' omg ...noo..no.no no..that will never happen'' .... '' Why'' ? i said .... ''ok..point taken'' he answered.....

we are what we are and need never to be ashamed of our sexuality... whether LGBT or just straight.....

Nuff said....

Weavs

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Yup it's just about that time of year again. So where's my hetero parade? I wanna dress up in a business suit or construction outfit and mack on my girl publicly while shooting water guns.
edit on 30-6-2013 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Minus
No its absolutely NOT possible.

You will be hunted down by the gay community as they try to convince you to like them OR at least understand and accept them, OR just maybe they will say how screwed up you are not liking them - they are like a raging band of mosqitoes at your BBQ.

for some odd reason its OK to be gay, but NOT OK to dislike them

I am like you also BORN to dislike gays

edit on 30-6-2013 by Minus because: i can

Why would you be BORN to dislike gays? Seriously, you are just another homophobe hiding behind an excuse.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Yes you are a homophobe for not liking gay people.

It is one thing to feel disgusted in homosexual acts and not want to participate. That is just natural behavior for a straight person; but to actual hate gay people because of a small part of their life (sexuality) that is something taught.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bone75

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

When you say you are repulsed by homosexual behavior. Do you think about gay sex?

Do you sit there and think about two dudes going at it?

Haha you're a funny fella aren't ya

I said exactly what I meant, I find the behavior repulsive, not the thought of it.

Nice you find the behavior repulsive, don't participate in in it. I find beatiality repulsive so I don't participate in it, please follow these guidelines. However, I do not feel the notion to tell others how to live their lives.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I have always thought that people blindly support the gay pride thingamajig.. Honestly, why should we support every single gay person out there? Why should we support the obnoxious gays as well and not JUST the ones who are constantly bullied etc and actually NEED our help?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join