It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Article 8 of the EC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I've been wondering about the European Convention on Human rights, lately. This article, reads as follows:

1. Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.

Now, the above is a simple statement stating a fact. And pretty much says, what article 16 of the UN charter says anyway. However the UN charter says it in more detail, while the EU is just skipping the cream.

But, what I find alarming is that following the above statement in the European convention is the following.

2. There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

Now, reading this. I find that within the EU convention on human rights, it states a longer issue on how and why this right can be removed, rather than describing what this right is.

I dare say, that the EU actually wrote this article. Not to ensure human rights, but to ensure that these rights can be removed.

This is what I find alarming.

edit on 30/6/2013 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bjarneorn

Good observation and logical conclusion. I for one feel that although I understand the need for national security, to know tat the collection of my data is there for TPTB to use against me is horrendous and an aberration of decent governance. At the moment there is a lawyer's TV ad to warn anyone against such a danger. He advises all those with potential income tax problems to stay off the internet, period. These are dark times.

join