It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skype or not to Skype

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Well yesterday I thought I would install Skype to see what the fuss is all about. My brother who I phone every week stays about 400 miles away and I have not seen him for about 15 years.
I was amazed at how good the quality and sound was and it is free which is a bonus if we use our laptops, I also tried it on my iPad and it worked just as good.
I know its been out for a long time, but I will definitely be using it more when I call him.
Possibly some use it as second nature but I am glad I took the plunge and tried it and will continue to use it.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

I use Skype, not through choice, but because it replaced MSN messenger not too long back. Personally speaking, I find the video quality on chat to be lower than on MSN, in terms of the likelihood of getting jerk-o-vision issues. A lady friend of mine, and I, would chat regularly using MSN, via webcam, but these days we do not use the internet so much to talk, simply because constantly having to sign out and then back in, just to get decent frame rate, prevent audio drop out, and so on, and so forth.

We live less than four miles apart, so there is no excuse for this crap. Personally, I would take MSN messenger back in a heart beat.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I use it for 5+ years but only for text chat. It was (and still is) very useful in field of my work (IT administration) because even not "tech" people have no problem to use it, there is option for group chat (ie X people can see what I say, they can ask and past literal wording of exception messages, I can past them literal strings of commands and so on in real time). BUT ... Skype was bought by one of devils called Microsoft few years ago so if you are looking for safe communication it is no longer viable option. I'm still using it but not for sensitive stuff.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I couldn't live without Skype and use it very frequently! My husband works all over the world and is gone sometimes for months. We use Skype to see each other every day no matter where he is. In some parts of the world cell phone service is unreliable to say the least, but so far there hasn't been any place that hasn't had decent internet service. My husband even tells bedtime stories to our grandchild via Skype when he's away, and occasionally even plays "tea party" with her. It has been a Godsend to our family.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

What happens if I use my iphone4 to Skype video, would it still be free, also if I use my iPad would that be free also?

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I have neither, but while Skype itself may be a free service by using it on your Iphone or Ipad I would think it would probably use up some of your wireless plan minutes unless you are logged onto a WiFi modem.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Yes I am logged onto a wifi modem....

top topics

join