It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attacks from America: NSA Spied on European Union Offices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
This is an article that has just gone up on the German newspaper website Spiegel Online reporting that documents have come to light that show that the NSA was spying not only on European Union citizens but also on EU institutions housed within the US including the UN.

It's fairly galling that when the US called out for help with its incursions into Afghanistan and Iraq, the EU countries stepped up to give a hand. And yet the thanks they get from the US are bugs in their offices and secret surveillance of their citizens. Just what you want in an ally (not).

The documents SPIEGEL has seen indicate that the EU representation to the United Nations was attacked in a manner similar to the way surveillance was conducted against its offices in Washington. An NSU document dated September 2010 explicitly names the Europeans as a "location target"

The documents also indicate the US intelligence service was responsible for an electronic eavesdropping operation in Brussels. A little over five years ago, EU security experts noticed several telephone calls that were apparently targeting the remote maintenance system in the Justus Lipsius Building where the EU Council of Ministers and the European Council is located. The calls were made to numbers that were very close to the one used for the remote administration of the building's telephone system.

NSA Spied on European Union Offices

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
When you combine this info with the info about the NSA blackmailing US Supreme Court Justices, members of Congress, etc, you start to get a clear picture of what is really going on.

I fear we are all in store for some very dicey times in the not too distant future.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This is some pretty damaging stuff!
I wonder if this was also in the name of "national security"?
Who needs enemies with an allie like the USA?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Is there any one that is NOT on their target list?????

Damn this is getting embarrassing....

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Archie

It amounts to a violation of human rights under European Law. Further what the hell do they need all that information on everyone for. A lot I guess would be for control and economic manipulation.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

For blackmail, of course.
All politicians have dirt.
Now the NSA has it as well.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I have been wondering why Russia has remained quiet about being spied on. Wonder if other countries will continue to follow suit or actually do something. Not even an oversight agency would make any of this ok. Too much corruption and too many people who can be blackmailed. Identity theft with a whole new meaning.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
I fear we are all in store for some very dicey times in the not too distant future.

To put it mildly. This will have a major impact on EU countries. It will be interesting to see how the US government plays this when their European counterparts request answers. I doubt they'll be able to get away with the "That's classified information as to answer it would put our nation's national security at risk."

new topics

top topics

join