It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA spying on EU diplomats according secret papers from snowden

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Der spiegel just posted that the NSA is spying on EU diplomats.
Der spiegel article link

According those documents the NSA planted spying equipment in an EU diplomats building in Washington. Also the computer network/system in that same building has been hyjacked.
Those documents come from Edward Snowden.

Couldn't find an english site quickly yet about this but its on several Eu news sites so I translated it fast myself.
edit on 29-6-2013 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

That has been known. The French President is the one who first leaked that he was being spied on. I guess it was fine and dandy when he was doing it with Bush to ever one. Then it turned on him and he threw a fit. Remember it was a French company that helped get it in the system. Just like the media always thought it was ok until it was used on them.

www.techspot.com...

Good thread on the US spying on other governments when the French President complained.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 29-6-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

It's not the same news, or is it? and in your link they think the US did that, no proof?
But yea it's related.
edit on 29-6-2013 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Has to be rough when you have a operation like GAUSS and your IP gets outed as a C&C.

www.securelist.com...

Known Gauss C2 server IPs:

Server Location
182.18.166.116 India, Hyderabad
109.71.45.115 Portugal, Constancia
173.204.235.204 United States, San Francisco
173.204.235.196 United States, San Francisco
173.204.235.201 United States, San Francisco

Namely the bottom one 173.204.235.201 United States, San Francisco. Belongs to Jonathan Kimball.

www.linkedin.com...

Jonathan Kimball jkimball.com's Experience Cyber Solutions Analyst Cyveillance Public Company; 51-200 employees; Internet industry December 2010 – Present (2 years) Memetic engineering IO / Psyop Planner / Propaganda Analyst Lincoln Group Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Public Relations and Communications industry November 2008 – December 2010 (2 years 2 months) Created a new format for synthesizing IO events and actions across the battlespace as a daily deliverable. Engaged in detailed analysis of PSYOP implications, both friendly and otherwise. Prepared biweekly IO briefings at the Division level. Automated PSYOP product tracking, including geo-referencing across the AO. Prepared and tracked CONOPS for Special Technical Operations. “Seeded” the local IO Wiki to enable growth of a long term knowledge base. Senior Database Administrator WVnet.edu June 2007 – November 2008 (1 year 6 months) Director of Business Development Extreme Endeavors (Sole Proprietorship) April 2005 – April 2006 (1 year 1 month) Psychological Operations Sergeant 305th Psyop Company April 2001 – April 2006 (5 years 1 month) Team Leader of the Product Development team; in charge of all media produced by the 305th, focusing on print. Manage team of 3-4 illustrators and designers, as well as conduct training for entire company. Also serve as IASO.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

There is proof just like the post above but your not supposed to know that. It is part of the conspiracy to attack antivirus companies for tracking C&C controllers that are running the malware. The reason Kasperskys kid got kidnapped when he outed STUXnet. The reason McAfee got attacked in South America. They don't want there IPs and C&Cs outed. Like the above post.

www.themoscowtimes.com...

www.pcmag.com...
edit on 29-6-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

Reuters has the story in english: U.S. bugged EU offices, computer networks: German magazine

Also interesting

: Glenn Greenwald: NSA Can Store A Billion Cell Phone Calls Every Day

Guardian journalist Glenn Greenwald says he has another big scoop about the National Security Agency's surveillance practices up his sleeve...

...his story on it hasn't been published yet...

..."It talks about a brand new technology that enables the national security agency to redirect into its own repositories one billion cell phone calls every single day...

edit on 29-6-2013 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
People have to realize that it is all related to STUXnet. Every country has it's own version that is tied to the US. STUXnet was Iran. but you also have Gauss which was Lebanon. You have DUQU, Flame, Star, Skywiper, the list goes on. The US has created one for each country. Yes they leak over borders but that is because it shows who in other countries are tied to the country they targeted with a specific Malmare Virus. And if they get caught they quickly change out the C&C controller locations and you have to go fishing all over again to find them.

The Antivirus companies began to see there reputations destroyed over not being able to protect from this so they decided to trace and track them. Then the Antivirus companies began to be targeted by shutting the antivirus software off. The antivirus companies started targeting these viruses and C&Cs even harder then they targeted the Antivirus company owners personally with kidnappings and attempted murder even smear campaigns.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Really they're pretty much stupid diplomats for expecting the room provided to be bug free....probably better to get back to the embassy you know is secure....the simple rule is that if you can't prove the place is secure it aint and thus treat it as if you're giving a press conference where everything's recorded

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
.....and this is where Snowden loses my respect and support, I do believe.

I was afraid it would happen and really questioned from the start whether he'd stick to his initial words of not doing harm to individuals and national security itself.

This isn't about abuses against the charter of the agencies and US law to build Super-Databases on Americans, as is illegal except it seems, by the secret court staffed by secret judges writing secret orders. That part really is illegal.

THIS part is what ALL agencies from all nations either DO or HAVE done. The U.S. had to all but literally abandon a construction project of the US Embassy in Moscow for how hopelessly riddled with devices it had become during the building phase in one almost comic Spy vs. Spy episode that didn't really end until 2000. The SVR had a high ranking defector not that many years ago saying the level of spying didn't reduce after 1989. It went up continually across the 90's.

We can't burn the whole US house down to get out the rot. (Tho I sure agree, rot there is...in abundance) Others are still very much working against national interests and just never stopped. It's nothing new, but even our own leaders these days seem so fixated on Al Qaeda and rag tag terrorist groups, they forget nations aren't all chums or friends.

Bugging other Governments and Diplomats is what intelligence services with secret agents have been doing since time began. That's the whole reason any nation has them and that's now what he seems to be burning. Well, without a Russian Snowdenski or Chinese version to match? This phase of the leaking accomplishes nothing but damage to the US at the direct benefit of adversaries, both friendly and downright hostile alike, IMO.

This isn't the leaking of a Whistle Blower, in my personal opinion.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well, you get to the point where whistle blowing does literally nothing to change anything. I doubt even if Snowden released all the dirt he had, if it would change a damn thing.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
And the desired effect is taking place. People give up, lie down and shut up. Defeated...

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by introV

I think the point it can reach is where actual national security damage is done. Personally, I live here. I rather like speaking English and not Russian or Mandarin. I like being a nation and not a protectorate or annexed property to another. There is absolutely a line where protest becomes...dare I say it? Yes. Treason. Where the benefit to the specific information being released no longer relates to the goal? Like.....correcting corruption vs. doing serious damage to America's ability to maintain defense? Treason is the proper and defined word.

It's really starting to get hard not to see it that way, as the nature and impact of what is coming out is changing.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I was afraid it would happen and really questioned from the start whether he'd stick to his initial words of not doing harm to individuals and national security itself.

This isn't about abuses against the charter of the agencies and US law to build Super-Databases on Americans, as is illegal except it seems, by the secret court staffed by secret judges writing secret orders. That part really is illegal.

THIS part is what ALL agencies from all nations either DO or HAVE done. The U.S. had to all but literally abandon a construction project of the US Embassy in Moscow for how hopelessly riddled with devices it had become during the building phase in one almost comic Spy vs. Spy episode that didn't really end until 2000. The SVR had a high ranking defector not that many years ago saying the level of spying didn't reduce after 1989. It went up continually across the 90's.

We can't burn the whole US house down to get out the rot. (Tho I sure agree, rot there is...in abundance) Others are still very much working against national interests and just never stopped. It's nothing new, but even our own leaders these days seem so fixated on Al Qaeda and rag tag terrorist groups, they forget nations aren't all chums or friends.

Bugging other Governments and Diplomats is what intelligence services with secret agents have been doing since time began. That's the whole reason any nation has them and that's now what he seems to be burning. Well, without a Russian Snowdenski or Chinese version to match? This phase of the leaking accomplishes nothing but damage to the US at the direct benefit of adversaries, both friendly and downright hostile alike, IMO.

Did you see this thread?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Maybe instead of what you predict, this revelation will bring about awareness of world wide surveillance. In that case the people of the world win.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Not sure if the EU is spying on the US, it's their ally/friend. Our political figures are probaly shocked and can't believe it (they are clueless). Didn't suprise me at all.
It's the same news that the people are being spied on basicly. Also people in all over the EU, company's.
No other nation got such big ''machine'' to spy on almost anyone.
But sure this damaged relations probaly but then again that's the risk they where probaly willing to take.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

reply to post by introV

I think the point it can reach is where actual national security damage is done. Personally, I live here. I rather like speaking English and not Russian or Mandarin. I like being a nation and not a protectorate or annexed property to another. There is absolutely a line where protest becomes...dare I say it? Yes. Treason. Where the benefit to the specific information being released no longer relates to the goal? Like.....correcting corruption vs. doing serious damage to America's ability to maintain defense? Treason is the proper and defined word.

It's really starting to get hard not to see it that way, as the nature and impact of what is coming out is changing.

Live here too. Vastly changing every day, deviating from the foundation. A constitution slowly burning away. I rather like speaking English too. But it's getting to be frightening. The citizens in the crowd don't know what's going on behind the curtain, but rather get to hear talking points from a Media outlet (circus). Even Obama is touching on issues that, dare I say, racially charge things? Zimmerman can't even get a fair trial here, if he doesn't get convicted people are saying they're going to kill people. THAT is more scary than the threat of some mythical bad guy in a turban blowing me up with a bomb, that they want everyone to be scared of.

I see the President increasing the potential for us to be harmed by pissing off the whole world. Is that Treason? Is it Treason that I don't want a profile made on me, containing my every health problem, e-mail, text, phone call, search, facebook status, tweet, chat, purchase, my movement, basically every single decision I make, tracked and recorded till my death? Can't wait till they start recording our keystrokes in real time, all in the name of security right?

How does the information/leak not relate to the goal? How long did you think this huge financial crisis/WAR was going to continue before the curtain started being pulled up? Snowden basically confirmed a couple things we all had suspicions of. The public finding out PRISM is a real and functioning thing is going to damage our national security? What's going to damage our national security is making decisions that puts blood on our hands. Decisions to put countries in poverty or war. Decisions akin to playing chess with the world. If the U.S. didn't have all this $#!T on their hands than this "National Security" program wouldn't be that big of a deal.

It's as simple as arming a felon with a gun. It makes EVERYBODY uncomfortable. But if it was just a regular joe with a gun, nobody would bat an eye. "Oh, but everyone does it, wah wah, we're going to be left in the dust and blown to smitherines if we don't spy on every body and record every aspect of our lives". BULL.

Our financial crisis is more detrimental to our National Security than the world knowing about our extreme Surveillance State.

Let's rename the National Security Administration to the Executive Security Administration, because we all know that's what it's really for. Protecting these executives who are manipulating and taking control of the World for their own nefarious gains.

Provide me with a list of potential terrorists foiled by PRISM who are sitting in Jail right now.

Where the benefit to the specific information being released no longer relates to the goal? Like.....correcting corruption vs. doing serious damage to America's ability to maintain defense? Treason is the proper and defined word.

The irony in this statement is profound. Whose benfitting from the information we are gathering from these EU diplomats? We need to correct this corruption before it seriously damages America's reputation (lol). Treason is the proper word for THIS ACT that we are committing against our allies.

Think about it. Nobody is going to die of a terrorist attack from PRISM coming out of the closet. They ignored TIPS about 9/11 and Boston Bombing. I don't expect PRISM to do a damn thing if they ignore DIRECT tips. They didn't need this huge NSA program to figure out about Tsar Bomba..

And if you plan on bringing up the point that some American's have been killed overseas because of anti-obama/anti-american protests that have sparked because of these revelations... Please open your eyes and understand that they've hated us before this. Every single stupid decision we make to dip our hands in everybody's business is what makes them hate us. If they didn't hate us already, this wouldn't have happened. Also, people have BEEN being tortured/killed for simply being American long before these revelations. In other words, nothing has changed other than more people being increasingly fed up with us.
edit on 29-6-2013 by introV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

Maybe instead of what you predict, this revelation will bring about awareness of world wide surveillance. In that case the people of the world win.

It would be nice if it led to that. Unfortunately, there are dozens of other nations that have absolutely no interest in working together with everyone else. That includes us with some of them, however friendly they are in public. The machine of international geo-politics keeps grinding on.

After all, what would All these intelligence services do, from some of these enormous headquarter buildings if not spy on each other and play their games right up to (and sometimes over the edge of) war?

@Plug-in

Check the link above, first one. That is a quick list of links out to most intelligence services and related agencies in the world, by nation. Almost all major nations have one or two or a few and EU nations still largely maintain their own. Alliances exist of course.There are a number of comparative listings for world intelligence but This one is what I found best for showing some numbers which appear in other drier texts. 350,000 is what that source estimates for Russian intelligence, although I've seen a number of estimates closer to 250,000. Thats not the entire community, just one part of it. They still dwarf US intelligence by orders of magnitude. The US just has the toys to really get obnoxious without putting much work into it.

All nations do it and truth be told, ALL nations NEED to. Unfortunately, I think it's also true to say MOST nation's services do go too far and abuse it. The US is getting caught along side the UK and Australia at the moment. Germany has a scandal brewing as well by headlines. It's a global issue and the US has no corner on the market is my main point.

@introv

I see the President increasing the potential for us to be harmed by pissing off the whole world. Is that Treason? Is it Treason that I don't want a profile made on me, containing my every health problem, e-mail, text, phone call, search, facebook status, tweet, chat, purchase, my movement, basically every single decision I make, tracked and recorded till my death? Can't wait till they start recording our keystrokes in real time, all in the name of security right?

I see it too... So THIS is what you think is the best moment to have a loose cannon out firing national security leaks in all directions? If it keeps going in this direction then the US will literally lose avenues of knowing what other nation's real intentions are. Others won't have lost the equivalent. That's a problem for who caused it to happen when he's a U.S. citizen.

Sometimes, knowing those intentions can prevent war and conflict too. Knowing when a bluff is a bluff, for instance.

The public finding out PRISM is a real and functioning thing is going to damage our national security? What's going to damage our national security is making decisions that puts blood on our hands. Decisions to put countries in poverty or war.

The public learning of PRISM was good. What this thread is about is NOT PRISM. I see an enormous difference and find it scary others don't.

Also, the blood on our hands is blood shared by the world's powers. China is dumping AK-47's into a half dozen African nations right now like they are trinkets at a road side stand. It's about strategic resource control for them. Thats just ONE example of other world powers doing the same thing.

In THIS 'game', one player turns weak at their peril and to the delight of the others still intact. Snowden's leaking BEYOND what is directly impacting domestic (hence ILLEGAL) targets is then doing outright harm to the nation's ability to maintain defense and security.

You say PRISM..and I'll agree. Snowden's gone well beyond that now though...as this thread shows. Specific times, places and targets of FOREIGN "targets".

Just what the heck did everyone think these agencies were supposed to be doing all this time? People act like their whole mission (publicly STATED Mission statement, for goodness sake) is evil itself and somehow surprising. What this thread is about *IS* the mission of US and every other nation's intelligence. They'd be derelict in their jobs if they weren't doing this stuff. It's what they did beyond it that broke laws.

Here is another breakdown of the major ones: Top World Services and one I personally use: The Intelligence Search

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

The problem is they have it all in one bag being the cloud. If they did not spy on US citizens and put it in the cloud with the rest of the information they could easily correct the problem. But they tried to hide it behind the Patriot Act and Terrorism and they failed. Now they have to pop that bubble of a cloud and filter the crap out they were not supposed to have. It is there own fault not Snowdens or Wikileakss or any reporters fault.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Well, it has been their problem but lets not go missing the point we're reaching here. It's not "their fault". It's OUR fault. They've been doing this in our names and with sloppy to no oversight from the people we elected. How many times has anyone here written their rep. about the interest for intelligence oversight or reform? (crickets). One? Two? I'll be honest and admit I never have ..and that makes me part of the problem too, in frank terms.

Now what do we do about it? Is it helpful to literally re-form the area of Government which must exist in some way...by destroying it in the process? This isn't a game in the true sense across the world, where we can ask the other nations to have a little time-out while we drop our defenses entirely to rebuild them.

The problem I think we face is how to basically cut out the rot while leaving the structure intact for proper use of it, as intended and as rightfully needed afterward? What is starting to happen now is destruction of a nation from within....and that is not in any American's best interests at all.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
old news not really much of a revelation.
en.wikipedia.org...

The papers broke another similar story on the UK a few weeks back a g8. Do people have amnesia? next week, more breaking news, spy agencies caught spying.

edit on 29-6-2013 by Redarguo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I don't think anybodys input was requested when the FBI Operation Going Dark took place. That is where the FBI was coming up with new ways to allow law enforcement every where to hack US citizens. They felt CALEA was getting in the way and wanted to bypass it. Did they ask you well they never asked me. Maybe it is in the secret FISA court rulings were not allowed to look at? Or maybe it is part of the Secret portions of the Patriot Act that a congressman once wanted released to the public. Considering nobody has ever even heard of it.

And one problem is when they look at the public at large as the same as terrorist or foreign countries that want to do harm to the US. Who are they protecting? Them selves. When a terrorist can bomb a marathon and nothing happens. But those same two shoot a security guard and the whole city gets put on lock down and they have door to door searches. Who are they protecting?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join