It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ecuador snubs US trade 'blackmail' over Snowden, offers human rights training

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Ecuador snubs US trade 'blackmail' over Snowden, offers human rights training

rt.com

Ecuador renounced trade benefits which the US threatened to revoke over the Latin American country’s consideration of harboring NSA leaker Edward Snowden. It offered $23 million a year to fund human rights education for Americans instead.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I know Ecuador has it's own internal problems, as does any other country, but I think the response from them should be taken very seriously by the U.S.

Clearly with projects like Guantanamo Bay still in full swing and now this trying to rope in a whistle blower as a traitor, they've clearly lost their way on human rights.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

The US lost its way when it started wars without thinking it through, under the administration of the only functionally mentally disabled person ever to be elected as a leader of a nation. What the US is doing now, is finding a way to navigate the dark holes it has dug for itself and its allies over the last decade and a bit, figuring out how to move around in the depths to which it has fallen.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Spot on, in my opinion American could do with some education regarding Human rights, at least their political leaders could do with some! LoL

edit on 28-6-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
hahahaha

Brilliant. Couldnt have thought up a more classic and brillant reply myself

Shame Britain wasnt offerd some money to train our goverment too

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

The US lost its way when it started wars without thinking it through, under the administration of the only functionally mentally disabled person ever to be elected as a leader of a nation. What the US is doing now, is finding a way to navigate the dark holes it has dug for itself and its allies over the last decade and a bit, figuring out how to move around in the depths to which it has fallen.

I disagree with this sentiment very much. The US, and pretty much every other people in the world, has never experienced a period of true, universal, respect to human rights. It's not something that started recently, it's deep deep history. That hole we're climbing out of is centuries old at least, and I'm not sure that humanity has fallen as much as slowly trying to learn how to stand up for the first time.

Maybe part of the struggle in America right now is a difficulty aligning the deep principle of exceptionalism with an increasing evidence of flaw. We've been so convinced of our superiority, in the Western world in general really, that it's becoming hard to take a collectively bold step into a truly great civilization because that would require an admission that we haven't ever had one.

edit on 6/28/2013 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Can back this up as it is mention here:
www.bbc.co.uk...

Ecuadors response is down the botton of that artical.
edit on 28-6-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
What a great idea.
But would have been better if it said

It offered $23 million a year to fund human rights education for American Presidents instead.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
That response just made my day

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
What a classy way to give us the finger.
I see what you did there Ecuador. lol

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Anyone else think it sounds like something Julian may of said?

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

LOL. Hmm, guess that's a one liner.

2nd line, ROFL. Hmm, still seems a little short.

LMFAO! Yep, that is all.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PatrickGarrow17

Where evidence is present, an admission is utterly unimportant. There is no need to admit the flaws in the developed world, because vast sky scraping office blocks have been built in thier name, history books are littered with the wake of thier passage, the flaws are so obvious that to require an admission is somewhat like requiring a confession from a man who you have just personally witnessed slaying four people with an axe, before being willing to charge them with a crime!

It is utter nonsense.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PatrickGarrow17

I take any comment offensive that says We as a Americans see ourselves as being superior. Honestly.... That is a joke and nothing more then propaganda bull#. Considering Americans are from just about every single country on earth. Yea My government has screwed the pooch. We will pay the price most likely with our blood and not yours.

However history shows that any country who has held super power dominance has done the same thing. From France to Britain to Spain, Germany,Russia, Egypt,Alexandria all previous world powers showed clear signs of wanting world dominance.

I'm glad Ecuador told the U.S. Government to hell with you. The way they worded it was a nice touch as well by saying they will fund human rights.that is pretty much saying to the american public that we do not hate you just your government.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
A little insight into why Ecuador will not help the states with snowden.

If you've paid attention to the case of Edward Snowden, you might have heard Ecuadorean officials refer to some bankers the U.S. is refusing to hand over. Ecuador, of course, is considering an asylum request from the NSA leaker. The U.S. is pressuring them to abide by an extradition request, while Ecuador is taunting the giant. During a press conference on Thursday, National Communications Secretary Fernando Alvarado said the United States should have been more thorough in analyzing its extradition request for "the bankers."

It goes on to explain

Turns out they are the defendants in a lawsuit filed by the government of Ecuador in a Miami-Dade County court. The lawsuit was decided in the bankers' favor on May 31. We tracked down the final judgment, in which Circuit Court Judge John W. Thornton lays out who these two men are. According to Thornton: Roberto and William Isaias Dassum were the president and vice president of Filanbanco, Ecuador's largest bank. In the late '90s, Ecuador descended into a severe banking crisis, so it created an agency a lot like the FDIC that pumped $1.16 billion into Filanbanco to keep it afloat. That failed and, according to the government of Ecuador, the Dassums fled to Miami after allegedly embezzling millions.

So Ecuador actually convict their bankers of fraud, I am loving these guys more and more

Read the rest at
www.npr.org...

edit on 28/6/13 by Todzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
It's quite ironic that Ecuador is trying to portray itsself as the bastion of free speech. Human rights watch obviously don't think the same way...

Human Rights in Ecuador

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

You talking about Slick Willy of Bamby?

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by guitarplayer

I am fairly sure that refering to "Slick Willy" is probably a violation of the T&C, and that Bamby has no part in this discussion. George W Bush however, is a functional moron who should never have been allowed out of his house on his own, anywhere near his own shoelaces, or indeed allowed to think without wearing a crash helmet, to keep his brain from exploding.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

Are you kidding me? Didn't think things through? They know exactly what there doing and have been for longer than you or I can comprehend. Every move the American goverment makes is calculated thoroughly, they only have to deal with minor setbacks every now and again, and as anyone that is skilled at manipulating they figure out a way to use those setbacks to there advantage in the end. what we are seeing now is a culmination of there plan, and there reaction to all the setbacks that have come there way since the original constitution was put into effect and even before that.

The American goverment is smart and very good at there job, just because your biased dont spread ignorance.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

Its not bias to say what you see.

It is observation.

The US government, like all governments of powerful nations, is run by the most successful politicians. That does not mean, what it ought to mean. What it ought to mean, is that it is run by people who have such stout belief in the people of thier nation, that they will represent them to the exclusion of all other interests, follow thier needs, and thier ORDERS without hesitation or question, and refuse to compromise on thier behalf without thier express permission.

What successful politicians ACTUALLY are, is the people who did the best job of making the people think that they respect thier opinions, and will fight for them, while actually defrauding people of thier rights, thier money, and thier ability to control thier own fate. This is the function of modern governments, no matter how they may be aligned politically, wether they be blue, red, communist, democratic, right wing, spiritually informed, or otherwise.

Every great power structure there has ever been, has relied on deeply motivated (and very often psychopathic) leaders and functionaries, who simply by being fantastic manipulators, can achieve a result that looks good enough on paper to pass muster, while completely embuggering the people, and making things half way impossible for whomever follows them. It happens in my nation, and it happens in the USA, and it happens in Russia, and it happens in Japan, and in every other centre of power throughout the entire world.

The entire idea of a centralised power structure, the idea that any person can have control of a nations resources and direct them, is anathemic to democracy, to freedom, to individual right to self determination, and does NOT allow for the majority to be represented fairly in political matters. What it allows for, is corperate interests to buy the favour of powermongers, thus growing thier power and wealth to ever greater heights of deplorability, and errodes the control of the nation by its people.

I am not having a dig at the US in exclusivity here. The whole bloody idea of politics at the moment is RIFE with a cancerous self interest which prevents people who want to represent the people, from actually getting a good word in edgeways, while promoting ideals and policies which cannot serve any purpose but to reinforce that situation. It is an unending cycle of seperation, driving a wedge between the majority and the government, the people and the power. It will not stop unless it is stopped by activity. Unchecked it will continue until voting is performed by probabilistic analysis rather than by ballot, and at that point, the whole world will be under a dictatorship, and anyone not directly involved with that will be living off barren land, under draconian laws, unable to feed or clothe themselves beyond the capacity of your average caveperson, and wondering what happened to thier precious liberty.

There hasnt been any liberty, in any governed nation, since the idea of governance came about. You will not find it anywhere you have ever been, no matter wether that place had a constitution or not. These things are NOTIONAL, they have never truely existed, but for the place in the mind where such things can take root.
edit on 28-6-2013 by TrueBrit because: reasons

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join