It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name a couple foods that are tasty, and that you can use in a grab n go emergency.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
If I ate the mushrooms that grew in the pasture...I probably wouldnt care abo
ut much of anything...

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
If not already mentioned, Potatoes and Onions.

Potatoes can be eaten raw and be planted for next year, using only a small portion of the potato, leaving the rest for eating.

Onions, well the French resistance lived on them, eating them raw, so cant be too bad an option, and probably can be grown on for seed production, although it takes a long time from seed to onion.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
One of the big problems of "marching" if you are not a regular hiker, is that your body doesn't keep your alimentary canal properly hydrated, even if you are drinking a lot of water (which you almost certainly are not....).

The problem with MRE's, is that they are only designed for a 1-3 day tour; suffice it to say that the Army doesn't want you need to stop and poop while on combat duty.

But it is a problem with ALL hiking, if you are not in shape---you'll get stoved up.

When my buddies and I go camping, we get a loaf or two f hard french bread (insects cannot get into it in your backpack), a sack of plums, a stick of genuine summer sausage, and a block of genuine smoked swiss or other white cheese. We make sandwiches and eat the plums on the side. The plums will replace electrolytes you won't get otherwise, and will keep you from getting stopped up. Substitute a bag of dried apricots if you don't like plums.

Part of our survival stores include the "bug-out gear." Our kids know to load the grab-and-go food into the "burban" (survival suv is a Suburban). The first 3 days are composed of what the kids consider "party food"---comfort foods that will help them transition to life on the road.

Toaster pastries
Peanut butter & crackers
beans & viennas in a can
canned ravioli
crackers in the shape of fish (they are baked, not fried)
single serve cups of fruit cocktail

There is food in the boxes that don't even need cooking for the first three days. That gives us time to travel, and set up camp at our destination or en route, without the risks and time involved in cooking. Also included are candy and playing cards, to help the little people transition to life without electronic toys.

edit on 29-6-2013 by tovenar because: Who's editing the editors?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
longpig, available absolutely everywhere, slow, stupid, and usually very weak.

On the plus side, they carry themselves, so no added weight.

Worked for the Donor Party.
edit on 29-6-2013 by HauntWok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Watermelon

Chicken

Melon

Ribs

Salmon

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join