It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MMA, Boxing, and Brain Damage

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Astrocyte

Dude, seriously, what in the hell are you on about??

Nobody here has disputed the fact that fighting is dangerous. You are preaching to the choir, bro. What's more is your condescension literally jumps off the page.

Why don't you go ahead and get it over with. Call everyone here an idiot again. Does it make you feel cool to do that from behind your computer desk? (oops, there goes that extrovert behavior)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FriedBabelBroccoli

Lifting weights and playing basketball is dangerous as both have the risk of disabling injuries which would lead to a sedentary life and thus the conditions associated with it.

huh. You may be confirming my theory for me. This was an insanely irrational thing to say. The difference between MMA and basketball is tantamount to the difference between a jaguar and a kitty cat. And again - stay on topic - Were talking about BRAIN INJURIES.

For as long as I've been watching basketball, I have only seen 4 or 5 concussions. Do the math. How many players played during that period (15 years)? How many games (82 games in a season)? The probability would be too low to take seriously.

In all my years of playing basketball, I have never had a head injury. I broke an ankle - which healed. I deal with tendinitis in my shoulder and foot, but these are all manageable: most of all, they don't affect my cognitive functioning.

^ This is what your argument looks like to everyone else.

Perhaps to people who've been punched in the head one too many times.

I may not fit your assumptions but, ironically, you fit mine.

LOL, that doesn't even make sense! How would you know whether I "fit your assumptions"? Have you met me? And secondly - I was mocking your attempt to "figure me out".

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

You likely have not been in any truly dangerous situations which would require risking one's one health to escape. MMA and contact sport are a modern simulation of those situations which mankind encountered often in the past and even today.

Your theory is based upon a lifestyle of complete protection or ignorance of danger.

Also you identified your mental acuity as your most prized feature. Therefore it is something which you would actively engage in protecting.

However there are others who prize other things over mental acuity and don't hold it in the same 'holy' regard which you do. Its not always something simple like ego, women, or fame in many cases it is a process of self discipline in the face of a challenge. Think of it as overcoming fear itself, or not intending to get hit but finding yourself back on your feet.

You are blinded by your own love of your brain like a mother for her children.
edit on 29-6-2013 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Non of this evidence changes the fact that i wouldnt give up being a fighter to be anything else. Oh well...

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

You're taking it too personally.

As a social phenomena, I find it interesting. I was hoping there would be other people - people who don't actually feel comfortable with the risks involved in MMA or Boxing - who could add some illuminating commentary.

But, so far, all I've gotten are people who participate in MMA, and understandably, have taken offense to my seemingly patronizing remarks. But can you really dispute the facts?

You mock my mentioning the fact that extroverts are mainly the ones who will chase the "reward" of being seen as strong in other peoples sights, but research has shown that extroverts are more sensitive to this reward mechanism (located in a brain region called the Anterior cingulate cortex). Although there likely are some introverts who participate in MMA (which you could vouch for) the majority of fighters are extroverts who aren't put off by the tense social effects associated with fighting.

Obviously, I am barking up the wrong tree by posting this here. I would get far more incisive responses at a university board forum, or a science forum. But, still, I thought I could manage to lure a few people with something interesting to add to this conversation. But all I've gotten is resentment and anger
. Justified on an emotional level - I'm excoriating the sanity of letting someone punch you in the head.

If anything, this shows just how nuanced criticism of these sorts of things has to be presented. Lest feelings be hurt.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Oh, I think anyone reading this thread has you figured out, buddy.

Your thread makes no point other than stating the obvious.
If you think you have stumbled onto some revelation with the observation that putting one's face in the path of a fist repeatedly leads to concussions, I honestly don't know what to say.

As far as the insults and condescension go, I would suggest that your face hasn't been put in harm's way nearly enough.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   

I agree you would probably enjoy discussing this with others who agree with you but likely have no experience of it.

That sounds like the first good idea you have presented in this thread.

Good luck with that.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   

You mock my mentioning the fact that extroverts are mainly the ones who will chase the "reward" of being seen as strong in other peoples sights, but research has shown that extroverts are more sensitive to this reward mechanism (located in a brain region called the Anterior cingulate cortex). Although there likely are some introverts who participate in MMA (which you could vouch for) the majority of fighters are extroverts who aren't put off by the tense social effects associated with fighting.

Obviously, I am barking up the wrong tree by posting this here. I would get far more incisive responses at a university board forum, or a science forum. But, still, I thought I could manage to lure a few people with something interesting to add to this conversation. But all I've gotten is resentment and anger . Justified on an emotional level - I'm excoriating the sanity of letting someone punch you in the head.

Your ignorant. But im an idiot so whatever.

I'm not an extrovert i happen to sit on this website all damn day and play world of warcraft. I dont know where you get that info from. You have no idea what your talking about. You know why i say that? You have never participate in competition in mixed martial or boxing so you have never realized its impact on a personal level. This is why i say your position is ignorant. You calling us idiot wouldn't you expect an emotional response? Noone is refuting the fact that is causes brain injury, sorry if i don't like being called an idiot by someone who is not involved on any level with the sport. You wouldn't understand.
edit on 29-6-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

Im starring all of your competition in this thread just cause! lol.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

You likely have not been in any truly dangerous situations which would require risking one's one health to escape

We live during a period of social stability. We have courts, police, schools, hospitals. There's no doomsday on the horizon, no pressing need to learn martial arts.

MMA and contact sport are a modern simulation of those situations which mankind encountered often in the past and even today.

Can't people simulate with head gear? Or is it crucial that it be as authentic as possible - that the risk for brain damage be as real as possible?

Your theory is based upon one of complete protection or ignorance of danger.

Or, simple practicality. We live in a world of laws and regulations. If you break the law - if you tried to use your knowledge of Muay thai (or was it jiujitsu?) against me, you're going to be punished for it. Likely worse than someone who didn't have training in a martial art. Why? Because this society - this great world we've built for ourselves - is predicated upon reason. It is unreasonable to attack someone. And it is especially unreasonable to attack someone when you have the ability to really hurt that person. Hence, your knowledge and training entails a HIGHER LEVEL of self restraint.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Can't people simulate with head gear? Or is it crucial that it be as authentic as possible - that the risk for brain damage be as real as possible?

This is all i even really need to address. This shows what little knowledge you even possess about the sport.

How do you propose they do jiu-jitsu and wrestle with headgear on? Just saying...

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

I never said Muay Thai or Jujitz would be used in that manner.

I say you obviously have never lived in a dangerous neighborhood or been confronted with feral animals.

The courts and police only arrive after a situation has gone down.

It is the concept itself, think 'Allegory of the Cave'.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Or, simple practicality. We live in a world of laws and regulations. If you break the law - if you tried to use your knowledge of Muay thai (or was it jiujitsu?) against me, you're going to be punished for it. Likely worse than someone who didn't have training in a martial art. Why? Because this society - this great world we've built for ourselves - is predicated upon reason. It is unreasonable to attack someone. And it is especially unreasonable to attack someone when you have the ability to really hurt that person. Hence, your knowledge and training entails a HIGHER LEVEL of self restraint.

This is ridiculous nonsense. What does this have to do with the sport? Reason? Train and compete before you challenge my reasoning for training and competing.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Jiu-jitsu is one of the most controlled forms of combat athletics there is. The fact is it is all about control. Jeez.... get some info before your next post man your clueless. I mean this not to you but to him.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Social stability??!
Jesus.
Listen to this crap. This world is FAR from stable and we have ALWAYS had laws of some sort.

Sports, or all games for that matter, are the result of a biological drive to keep the body prepared to do what is necessary in the event that this "social stability" breaks down and we DO have to fight and claw our way through existence.

In this respect, fighting and playing cards are no different from eachother. Each game hones a potentially life saving skill.

Oh, I shoulda put the definition of a few of those words in parenthesis for our OP here.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Risks involved with MMA........

Risks involved with driving a car, riding in a plane, riding on a train, riding a horse, playing baseball, hockey, and even having sex and many more things.

The point is that to live is to take risk, everything you do is a risk. There are some of us in this world that seek the excitement of feeling the fight or flight response kick in and enjoy the feeling of harnessing and controlling the "flight" side of that reaction.

You cannot live life worried about the "what if" part of risks, if you do then there is so much in this life you will miss out on. The people that engage in activities such as MMA are aware of the risks and make a conscious decision to do so and if that is what makes them happy in life and gives them the stimulation they seek then what is wrong with it.

It's no different than me jumping out of a perfectly good running airplane, or going miles back in a submerged cave when I'm cave diving. I know the risk and choose to do it because it makes me happy so where is the big issue?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Because this society - this great world we've built for ourselves - is predicated upon reason.

This world that "we have built for ourselves" and this society is sick and the last thing it is based upon is reason. It is based upon control and greed and I'm sorry but this isn't the world I built for myself, no one asked my opinion and my approval of all the various laws and regulations that seek to do nothing for society than to control individuals.

Other than saying that I would like to know what that has to do with MMA?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

I say you obviously have never lived in a dangerous neighborhood or been confronted with feral animals.

In the event that I am confronted by a ferrel animal, I am gonna call on all those episodes of Call of the Wildman I watch before any Jiu-Jitsu skills I have.

I agree with your point, just sayin' I am not gonna try and arm bar a bear.

Yeyeyeyeyeye!

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

It is the last resort line of defense for this type of argument. You hear it ALL the time in "intellectual" circles.

Ultimately it comes down to the "intellectuals" not feeling as though they are appreciated to the same degree as the dumb brutes who get all the women, attention, and 'glory'.

It is no different than a group of girls talking bad bad about another girl because she is 'dumb' hot and getting a lot of attention.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

In the event that I am confronted by a ferrel animal, I am gonna call on all those episodes of Call of the Wildman I watch before any Jiu-Jitsu skills I have.

I agree with your point, just sayin' I am not gonna try and arm bar a bear.

Yeyeyeyeyeye!

Lolz!

Jajajajajajajajaja!

I would not recommend Jitz on the bear, but a solid shot at your companion might do the trick.

I kid I kid.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

I chose the rear naked choke for a bear i wrestled to death last week. Just saying...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join