It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2013 Dead Zone in Gulf of Mexico may be Largest Ever

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I was about to say the same thing but not so eloquently. Nowadays, a person has to stop using common sense and logic in regards to, well, anything.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
As a full blooded Cajun, there is nothing I love more than good Cajun seasoned fried fish and shrimp.The algae bloom may be bad but i can't help but think all the oil and chemicals PB dumped in our waters are contributing to this dead zone.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I have a question.....what about all the damn OIL and COREXIT that we dumped into the GOM???
In spite what any "authority" says, I absolutely believe that the MAJORITY of this # is still on the bottom of the GOM......as well as probably into the Atlantic basin by now.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
imagine if there is a natural disaster on the planet on a global scale now times the amount of oil rigs in the world .

some of that oil is under 10 tonns per sq inch pressure that was one rig that went up ?? look at the mess it created

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I remember when they outlawed styrophome cups and plates from my home town on the west coast, and then walking down to where the surfers put in and to my right seeing a continuation of sewer being dumped into the ocean (cleaned sewer but still). I'm sure that's changed by now but more people equals more problems of where to put waste products.

I really like fish a lot but the oil spills, Japan scenario, raw garbage dumping, filtered garbage dumping, over fishing, run off, dredging, - coupled by baby sea lion and dolphin illnesses and deaths, and regularly occurring fish die offs I question if its even safe to consume anymore.

There seem to be some problem solvers in here. Send your ideas to the EPA. They know how to work with big business and have the backing to do so.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

this was planned by obama & co look at the regulation or lack off and the share trade for the banks who had shares in Brit Poisoners

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
There is no doubt we are killing our oceans and the wildlife in them. The algae blooms as well as depleting the oceans of oxygen can also contain a deadly toxin called Democ Acid. Demoic Acid is now thought to be responsible for the deaths and sickness of hundreds of California sea lions each year and is now beginning to affect dolphins and whales also. It causes them to have seizures and even if they survive, they are left unable to navigate properly. Seabirds are also known to have been affected. It is thought that the chemical urea, widely used in fertilisers is to blame for the algae blooms.

"Toxic Algae Killing West Coast Animals
Birds falling from the sky. Pelicans having seizures. Dolphins dying on beaches.

For two months, a growing number of marine mammals and birds have been dying along the California coast. About 70 dolphins have washed up on state beaches, while more than 200 sea lions and 200 seabirds have gotten sick or died.

One of the leading suspects is domoic acid, a potent toxin that attacks the brain. The naturally occurring toxin is produced by the plankton species Pseudo-nitzschia.

The toxin moves up the food chain from the slender, glass-shelled diatoms to sardines, anchovies, crabs and other shellfish that, in turn, become dinner for birds and marine mammals.

"There's dead pelicans on the beach, and then these weird ones having seizures," said Jay Holcomb, director of the International Bird Rescue Research Center. "We had the public calling in, saying, 'These birds are falling out of the sky.'"

Blooms of Pseudo-nitzschia have occurred before but experts said it was only recently that sea life kills were linked to them. Scientists caution that other types of microscopic sea life also can produce toxins.

This month record high levels of domoic acid, ranging up to 380 parts per million, have been found in mussels taken from Santa Barbara waters. The federal alert level is 20 ppm, said Gregg Langlois, a marine biologist with the state Department of Health Services.

No human illnesses have been reported in California but state health officials advise against eating locally sport-harvested shellfish, crabs, sardines and anchovies. Commercially harvested seafood is considered safe because it is inspected."

www.cbsnews.com...

Although this news article is a couple of years old, the problem seems to have been getting worse each year. The time for taking action to stop the suffering of these poor animals is long overdue before we wipe them out completely.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by cluedup

ever get the feeling this planet is going to hell and is well on its way there .

reading stuff like this i am glad i never had children when all you can leave them is a poisoned planet

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Use the blooms!

algae oil

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by cluedup

CBS news eh? Ok sounds like good sound imformation to me!!

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by darkstar111

Not good enough for you ok :

www.nmfs.noaa.gov...

whalerescueteam.org...

www.acvp.org...

and finally National Geographic :
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Theres plenty more where they came from.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
The thing is that Americans have been hounding BP with as much ire and self righteous indignation they could indecently muster after the tragic accident. There has been such a money fest! Such unrestrained glee in the billions extracted by fat lawyers! Such pomposity from the politicians and environmentalists, all who are now quite and sated by their new found riches, courtesy of BP.

It is quite sad that the Americans seem unable to direct such attitude to the pollution of the Gulf which has been going on for decades. Come on Mr America, wake up, BP didn’t destroy the Gulf, you did!

Regards

edit on 28/6/2013 by paraphi because: just added a bit more!

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Very sad... oil on one side, radiation on the other. Just need to destroy the Atlantic and we'll be surrounded by Toxic water.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
There is also now taking place due to pollution, the wiping out of the Kruger National Park crocodiles - yet another population destroyed by the greed and stupidity of humans:

''Crocodiles have been in the gorge for 200 million years...and in just two years humans have almost wiped them out here.''

rickrideshorses.hubpages.com...

Heartbreaking, truly heartbreaking, when will we ever learn?

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Olivine

In 2007, the United States raised 67.8 million hogs--they aren't native to North America. At 1.5 tons of waste generated per swine, that is a massive amount of poo to keep out our waterways.

I realize it's not just the cattle. Alas, I did a poor job of making my point; that being that North America was teeming with wildlife pre-European colonization. I would argue there are certainly as many animals in North America today as there was prior to the arrival of Columbus. Europeans decimated the animals population in the Great Plains. It's not just the bison, it's the deer and the elk and any number of other species.

According to the above article 59 % of our rivers, 31% of the lakes, and 15% of estuaries have been impaired by agricultural pollution.

The conversion of the Great Plains to farmland is our biggest problem, in my humble opinion. It is not, not, NOT related to animal feces; that has been flowing downstream for centuries -- in one way or another.

I live on a ranch. My husband is an agricultural farm manager. It is the pesticides. It is the fertilizers. It is what we are spraying on our crops. We are killing off our natural resources with man-made chemicals, not animal poop. That is, at best, a minimal contributor despite what some people might perceive as a massive amount of doo-doo flowing downstream. I just don't see it, although I do agree that shi@t flows downhill.

In any event, I appreciate your reply.

Pam

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Looks like WW3 won't be about oil, it's about water. And the sources of free, clean water.

Maybe that was the plain after all? Pollute the waters, make the food unable to eat unless you have the antidote, and you got yourself a slave population, or a really good scifi movie, anyone wanna help msg me.

other another note, all I see up this way in Maryland is ads about how BP cleans up the Gulf and summertime tourism is back on, lol I can't see how it's further from the truth.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
100% guaranteed if you go out in that water to fish, you will be pulling them in like crazy. They've been going with this hokey "dead zone" story for years before BP ever happened. It's a crock. Go to a Gulf charter fishing website and check out the pictures of their clients reeling in redfish, trout, red snapper, tuna, mahi, etc etc.

Dead Zone Schmed zone. As our deputy BSer in chief would say...malarkey.

We are still contending with the occasional tar mat from BP and likey will be for years. But no dead zones.
edit on 28-6-2013 by SELAboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
this is sad : /

Incoming Mrs. Cleo is predicting more shark attacks on humans in the near future....YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Nuke2013

Another who has payed attention to an important discovery x)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nuke2013
I see a business opportunity here....Let's cultivate the algea and make fuel from it....Hummmm....

2nd.

Better still, filter out all those fertilizers out of the water and recycle them for farming, then returned the purified water to the sea.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join