It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good wife lawsuit is fact not fiction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
If your in to the good wife then you know the show and the episode, but this is not CBS or tv this is in real life
www.nbcnews.com... form the link

Mom sues Monster energy drink over teen's death
The Associated Press Associated Press

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
GooglePlus
Email

6 hours ago

The mother of a teenager who died from cardiac arrhythmia last year is blaming his death on Monster Beverage Corp., alleging in a lawsuit filed Tuesday that his death was caused by habitually drinking the company's energy drink.

Alex Morris, 19, went into cardiac arrest during the early morning hours of July 1 and was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The lawsuit filed in Alameda County Superior Court alleges Morris would not have died if he did not drink two cans of Monster's energy drink every day for the three years before his death, including the day he died.

Morris' mother, Paula Morris, is listed as a plaintiff in the case.

The lawsuit comes after the family of 14-year-old Anais Fournier, of Maryland, also sued the company last year after she consumed two 24-ounce cans of Monster and died.

"Our allegations in the lawsuits are the same and that's the peoples deaths were caused by these energy drinks and, more specifically, the defendants failure to warn about the dangers," said Alexander Wheeler, an attorney representing the plaintiffs in both cases.

Monster representatives did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.

The Corona-based company said previously in Fournier's case that no blood test was performed to confirm that the girl died of "caffeine toxicity" as the lawsuit claimed, saying she died of natural causes brought on by pre-existing conditions.

Monster and other energy drinks have received increased scrutiny in recent months. The Food and Drug Administration is investigating reports of deaths linked to energy drinks, including five that cite Monster beverages, but the agency noted that the reports don't prove the drinks caused the deaths.

San Francisco city attorney Dennis Herrera is also suing Monster Beverage for marketing its energy drinks to children, saying the products pose severe health risks.
now for the tv show good wife www.cbs.com...

it is funny how fiction does become fact,

fiction good wife CBS TV show: an energy drink company is sued for the death of a teenager.

fact: a energy drink company is sued for the death of a teenager.
any thoughts?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Last I checked, 18 was the age of official adulthood. Seeing as the man in this story was 19, and legally an adult, he could make his own decisions, and was responsible for such. At 17, when this trend began, his parents were the responsible guardians. If they felt this drink was being abused by their son, did they make any effort to stop it before it got out-of-hand?

If the vendor puts all the ingredients on the can, and they are accurate, then it should be the responsibility of the individual to consume them responsibly, IMO.

Seems to me this lawsuit is the equivalent of suing a beer manufacturer for someone abusing their product and dying. That would not fly in court, so why should this one I ask?

edit on 26-6-2013 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

i agree 100% it just goes to say , "sue you" is easier to say than "be reasonable and responsible for your actions, I think this should be tossed out.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
When will parents be parents? What has happened to our world? Growing up people were tough and did not complain about all this PC nonsense. Everyone has to point the finger and place blame. We are a nation of a bunch of wussies.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

The lawsuit filed in Alameda County Superior Court alleges Morris would not have died if he did not drink two cans of Monster's energy drink every day for the three years before his death, including the day he died.

WHAT!! ?? I'd counter sue this " mother" for being such a bad mother she allowed her kid to drink the stuff habitually.

Doesn't she know and teach her kids about the Standard American Diet and nutritional guidelines? if's not the companies fault she was stupid enough to kill her own child. I'd throw this way our of court.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krakatoa
Seems to me this lawsuit is the equivalent of suing a beer manufacturer for someone abusing their product and dying. That would not fly in court, so why should this one I ask?

This will settle out of court for an undisclosed amount of money. Why? Because these companies know that their products are unsafe for binge consumption, and the market isn't big enough to support anything but binge consumption at large. If it went to trial and it came out that the science behind this person's death was known, it could cost a LOT more than the pittance that this women will get out of them.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee

Because these companies know that their products are unsafe for binge consumption, and the market isn't big enough to support anything but binge consumption at large.

I beg to differ. NO beverage is safe for "BINGE consumption", even good old H2O. Anything in excess is bad for you. Time has come for people to begin to take personal responsibility for their own actions IMO. If the contents of the beverage were perfectly legal, like beer/wine/spirits, then drinking them in excess to the point of death is NOT the fault of the manufacturer, but of the consumer.

A little thought goes a long way.....

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee

Because these companies know that their products are unsafe for binge consumption, and the market isn't big enough to support anything but binge consumption at large.

I beg to differ. NO beverage is safe for "BINGE consumption", even good old H2O. Anything in excess is bad for you. Time has come for people to begin to take personal responsibility for their own actions IMO. If the contents of the beverage were perfectly legal, like beer/wine/spirits, then drinking them in excess to the point of death is NOT the fault of the manufacturer, but of the consumer.

A little thought goes a long way.....

Beg to differ all you want, but water isn't going to kill you in the relatively small quantities needed to binge on energy drinks. Binge consumption, or binge drinking, is a purposeful act, and not one that can even be attained by drinking water. It is the purposeful consumption of substance over a short time to attain physiological affect.

Caffeine in coffee.
Alcohol in beer.
Mixes of stimulants in energy drinks.

Alcohol is regulated by the ATF and the FDA. The FDA is about to conclude a year long study on the effects of energy drinks. We may see some new labeling requirements.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
my friend found a dead mouse in a can. No joke! I seen pictures.

new topics

top topics

join