It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sad evening, had to put my daughters dog down... :-(

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Here we were, just after supper enjoying some relax time, I'm on the sofa watching the news, daughter is at the kitchen table on her laptop adn all of a sudden we can hear a ladie screaming at our two other kids outside asking if they knew who's dog this was.....

My daughter runs outside, rushes back in and tells me that Gaya, our dog had just been ran over by a car!! Somehow the dog had managed to jump the fence and go for a stroll. She didn't make it accross the boulevard.
She was still alive, in shock but she wasn't whimpering or anything so we all got in the car and ruched to the vets...

After about 20 minutes of waiting the vet could finally see the dog and make his evaluation of the damages. I didn't want my daughter in the room because of what I knew was comming, the vet was going to twist and poke and it would hurt the dog so I told my daughter to wait outside for the time being.

Once the evaluation was complete and that I knew what was up, I had to tell my daughter that the poor thing couldn't be saved, it was just way too bad, poor dog had a crushed pelvis and was hemoraging badly.

That was one of the worst things I have had to do, tell my daughter that her beloved little Gaya had to be put to sleep...Man...I mean...The dog I can deal with but seeing my daughter cry like she did, that's tough man, I don't care who much of a man you are...It's just hard.

The vet left us with the dog for about 20 minutes, my daughter petted Gaya and kissed her lots and I did what i could to comfort her as best I could even if I couldn't hold back the tears. When the time came, I motioned to the vet that it was time do to what needed to be done and he was as gentle as could be. Cleaned her leg and proceeded with the injection. It took a whole 10 seconds and Gaya was gone, I could see the light in her eyes fading away as I was holding her. She went limp and let out one last little breath and she was gone.

My daughter didn't want to leave and she kept petting Gaya over and over and whispering in her ear how much she loved her and will miss her. I took a couple of minutes and groomed Gaya, made her all nice and pretty, layed her down as if she were sleeping and then said to my daughter that it was time to leave. That was hard....Real hard...I know that my daughter will recover from this, she's a strong young woman but at 15 she's at that age where she will always remember Gaya and how she passed....I find that hard too....Kids should not have to go through that...

Our little Gaya was only 2 1/2 years old, a little #zu/Yorkie mix , a good little dog...She will be missed.

Well...Sorry for the sad storry, i just felt like I had to share...

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
i feel for you bud i let my mothers dog out last year and he run in front of a car
it devastated me only good thing about it was he was 13 but it still hurt.

i had to get my old collie put down 3 years ago and i am still hurting know how you feel happy thoughts time

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
My condolences to your family. I can imagine that it was probably one of the most difficult days you've all had to face

I've had two pets that went downhill quickly due to illnesses. What I've always hated about situations like that is how sudden and unexpected it is. Everything is fine for years then at the drop of a hat it all turns around so quickly and there's no time to prepare yourself emotionally.

It takes a long time to recover from something like that, but each day gets a little easier

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I'm so sorry for you, and your daughter. I've had to deal with this so much in the last few years, my heart breaks for you. You don't mention how old your daughter is, but if she was old enough, it probably helped that she got to be there to say goodbye. It is the hardest thing in the world to go through, they just become so much apart of your life.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
My heart feels your and yours pain.

let me take some of that pain and send you and yours all the love needed to move on.

All dogs go to heaven.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Nuke2013

I understand your loss, because we had to put our golden retriever of 14 year down last month. Ginger has been with the family since my daughter was in the 3rd grade. Both my son and daughter grew up with Ginger since they were kids. So there had been a lot of fond memories with the old girl.

My son came home after finishing his last day at a local college and found Ginger lying on the floor breathing heavily and whimpering. We knew her last days were coming, but both my Wife and my daughter kept nursing her for the past 3 months. She had really bad arthritis in her back legs and many times it took a lot of coaxing to get her up to go outside. She was also getting a lot of sores on her body, which we had to constantly medicate and wrap. She was on meds for her arthritis. She ate nothing but people food, since she no longer wanted to eat her dog food. It was sad watching her health diminish overtime.

Our son called us at work and we both came home during our lunch hour. We called our daughter and she left work to meet us at home. My daughter is now 25 and my son is 21. It was heartbreaking to see my daughter break down over her beloved Dog. She used to post pictures of Ginger on her face book, posing her with funny props like sunglasses, hats, reading a book, etc... Everyone knew how much my daughter loved Ginger.

My son and I had to carry Ginger into the back of my van using a blanket, since Ginger was a rather large and heavy dog. As we waited for the vet to put her down, our daughter lovingly held her head while we all were letting her know we were there petting her. After the vet arrived and gave Ginger the injection, both my son and daughter broke down crying and we all had a group hug. My daughter still misses ginger and visits her grave at her grandparents farm from time to time. It's that unconditional love that ties dogs and cats to their owners.

My sincere sympathy for the loss of your dog.
edit on 26-6-2013 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
go to the local dog pound and get a new one asap
give some poor dog a chance and you will all feel better

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Such an awful thing to have to go through...and so sad for the kid too.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I got all choked up reading that.
There are so many homeless pets at shelters who only wish to be loved and taken care of. Perhaps you could save a life now and find new happiness. No one will ever replace your little dog, but you'd be amazed how much another one could enrich your life.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Very sad. I had to have a lab put down a few years ago and I just could not be in the room at all. I wanted to be a vet at one time but for all the good they do helping animals it is just a single story like yours that I just could not accept. I cannot handle animals in pain or discomfort. I have a yellow lab now that is over 12 years old. Best dog I have ever seen but I dread with every fiber in my body the day I know is coming at some point. I am not even sure I can make the decision myself. I am very sorry for your loss and the anguish you and your daughter had to endure. At least the person stopped and attempted to find the owner. I know they do not feel as bad as you or your daughter but obviously they will remember this for a long time as well.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
There's not a lot any of us can say to OP to make this go away, so sad.

Sent my best mate for the big sleep a couple of years ago, seems like yesterday. He was 17.

For other people who may read this thread please take note!
I visited a friend one day and had my old mate with me. My friend made an unusual comment as I left his home. He looked at my dog and he said "It's easy to leave it too long".
I knew what he meant, and was sure I'd do the right thing.
About 18 months later I had take that terrible trip to the vets, I'll never forget my old mate.
As the weeks went past I knew I'd left it too long, and it hurts like hell.

For the sake of yourself and your dog, please dont make the same mistake.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Thank you everyone for your kind words and sharing your personal stories, you are a great bunch and this is helping tremendously ! My daughter is slowly smilling every now and then...Getting her smile back is doing her good but every time she comes accross a picture our something that belonged to Gaya, she cries...I can understand that, it is painfull for her. I got her the dog when my ex-wife and I got a divorce and bought my own house, it was something more for her to look forward too when she came to see Dad every other week and she had been asking for a dog since she was 5 years old so....Being my princess and me being an ol' softy...She won me over and we went out on a 3 hour drive to play with the little pack of puppies, Gaya was the one that took a likking to my daughter, she just waddled up to her and layed on her side and did "the bacon" dance and started to play. It was instant love.....

Now....For all that suggested that we go to the pound and pick a dog, save a dog...Thank you but....In the words of my daughter " I don't want to go through this again, it hurts too much, no more pets for me! "

I know...those are words of hurt, she will eventually want another dog, she loves them way too much to stay away from owning another and for now we are going to keep it that way but rest assured that going to the local SPCA will be on the list of priorities if we do get another dog.
Thank you for the kind words of advice!

R.I.P. Gaya

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I said those exact words when I had my lab put down. I went to the pound a month later and fell in love with another yellow lab who had been abused. You might be surprised how much joy it could bring. In the immediate aftermath of the vet visit I wanted nothing to do with any more dogs and the hurt of watching one get cancer and pass on. 12 years later my yellow lab is about the best friend you could ever want.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Nuke2013

Hi Nuke2013, I am so sorry for your loss. I have had many pets in my long life that I have had to part with eventually and it has never been easy. I loved them all and miss them all. I only hope that poem "The Rainbow Bridge" is for real and that when our time comes and we pass on that we get to see our lil treasures again and be with them. I have lost human friends in life and pets too and the grief feels the same to me.
I think of my best buddie pets so much....just about everyday, one of them will pop into my mind and I'll get that sad feeling and that wanting to cry feeling in my throat. Blessings and hugs to you and your family and kisses to the pup too.

I don't know how to transfer the poem here but the title can be googled and it is wonderful and it did give me some solace.

top topics

join