It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julia Gillard or Kevin Rudd, who will lead party - 26/6/2013

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Possibly; sold the dump here.

As much as I hate to see it ....
' Failed politician - given the task to resurrect the party ' AT THE 11th Hr. !

Yet, Julia is inaugurated into the first Female PM in Oz - HOF !!
Kudos !!!

Let's move on ...

Massive life long benefits !!!

Hard feelings should be left at the door.
edit on 26-6-2013 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Oh for goodness sake! I'm seriously mad as hell & I can't take it anymore! Imo Labour should get rid of both of 'em & choose a new leader who doesn't have all the baggage connected with these 2! I'm glad for Rudd though that he finally got his revenge since I knew ever since Gillard backstabbed Rudd that in time the consequences of her actions would fall on her own head as they say, "Whoever takes up the sword shall die by the sword..." Of course, it's not going to do much by way of votes I reckon and I don't think Abbot and Hockey can be elected fast enough as I'm sick & tired of the endless Labour soap opera that was giving me a fcuking headache every day for the past however many months it's been!

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by cameraobscura

Excuse the one line response; But ...

Who ??

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeBombDiggity
I know that she's said that she won't contest the next election. But I hope Gillard doesn't retire from public life altogether. I admire her combative performances in Parliament, the one especially where she mauled that creep Abbott during the Slipper debate, I've watched that a hundred times.

i seriously can't believe that people are still buying into that stupid speech.

do you understand why most women were ashamed...and angry at that speech...

because she used that whole "i am women" speech to deflect the attention of that vile man peter slipper and the sexist texts that he had sent regarding women.

watch the lead up to that speech a hundred times as well and you will see how foolish your comments are. she KNEW if she made that speech then there was no way anyone could challenge why she made it to defend peter slipper...that would just prove everything that she was saying.

it makes me sick everytime i hear someone from overseas, especially women, say how great it was without knowing the background to it.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I know that she's said that she won't contest the next election. But I hope Gillard doesn't retire from public life altogether. I admire her combative performances in Parliament, the one especially where she mauled that creep Abbott during the Slipper debate, I've watched that a hundred times.

Glad to see the back of her you have no idea.
edit on 26-6-2013 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by bellagirl

She was replying to an Opposition motion ... Gillard had to give that speech, she had no choice. How would you, as Prime Minister, reply to a hostile Opposition motion ? Stand at the despatch box like a plank and simply soak up Abbott's bile ? Get to, of course you wouldn't.

I've read your comments and re-read that speech again. Gillard condemned Slipper's text messages very clearly. But she also used her speech to castigate Abbott for being the slimy two faced hypocrite that he is, a man trying to politically bury another for the same weakness both share, that of treating women like little bleeding hausfraus, fit only for spawning children and doing the washing up.

I think her speech was remarkable. Abbott got what he deserved with double barrels.

And I think the women of Australia saw him for what he really is, a creep.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Whilst I disagree with some of you, the best part of participating in discussion as a Australian regarding the changing of our Prime minister, is the thread made it to 4 pages only. Shows how laid back Aussies are.
Had this been about impeaching Obama, the server would have melted

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

She was replying to an Opposition motion ... Gillard had to give that speech, she had no choice. How would you, as Prime Minister, reply to a hostile Opposition motion ? Stand at the despatch box like a plank and simply soak up Abbott's bile ? Get to, of course you wouldn't.

I've read your comments and re-read that speech again. Gillard condemned Slipper's text messages very clearly. But she also used her speech to castigate Abbott for being the slimy two faced hypocrite that he is, a man trying to politically bury another for the same weakness both share, that of treating women like little bleeding hausfraus, fit only for spawning children and doing the washing up.

I think her speech was remarkable. Abbott got what he deserved with double barrels.

And I think the women of Australia saw him for what he really is, a creep.

your right. she had no choice but to come up with something that was so "media worthy" it got the whole peter slipper thing of the front page. smart women.

I am an australian women, i have a daughter, i have a mother, i have a sister etc and we all saw it for what is what...a stunt.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

if her reasons were 100% for the right reason and not political game playing, i would have been beside her burning my bra.

i think the speech she made in the Great Hall to the those affected by sexual abuse was one of the most outstanding speeches i have ever heard. she could deliver a great speech. she stood up for herself at the dispatch box and didnt need anyone to fight her battles for her.

i just think she was wrongly advised to start playing the gender card and she lost a lot of people by doing that.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Archie

Originally posted by daaskapital
I hope Julia wins tonight's spill; simply because she would lead the party to defeat. I am also sick of the Labor party and think that the Liberals deserve another crack at the job.

Wow, you must be wealthy. Libs stand for business. Unless you earn over $250K a year or own a reasonably big company, the Libs will not do you any favours and you'd be mad to vote for them because they will screw you. Working people should be shaking in their boots at the prospect of a Liberal Government.

But I digress....

I don't believe you digress. You have hit it right on the head. Re the Gillard/Rudd problem. imo, we had 2 (two) amazing people who BOTH want the best for the average Aussie turning up at the same time. If people would stand back and look at both of them, you would find amazing, sincere, people for the people.

It is a sad time as no matter who won (in this case Rudd) we are losing an amazing leader. sure, the so called faceless men started this off 3 years and 4 days or so ago but if you notice, the factions were obviously dissolved as the only hope for true reform (labor) have now settled this problem once and for all.

My only hope is that the people get behind the labor party and some how stop any chance of the Liberal party gaining power. Let's face it, a vote for the libs is a vote for big business, insidious taxes, hard times for pensioners and the underprivileged in Australia, a dismantling of the education reforms, a return to employer controlled business, .

To the mouths on here who spit venom and vitreol at JG or for that matter KR, wake up, see the future under Abbott and get out there and stop it from happening. Over the next little while, watch the Mirrabellas, Cormans, O'Dwiers (sp?), and the other mouth pieces of the liberal party. Look at their eyes, see the hollowness that they are trying to hide. It brings to mind two simple words that they, imo can't fulfill "trust me"

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

i am pretty sure the faceless men is the USA i say this ccause the news over there seems to twist the facts to make her look good

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by greatfriendbadfoe
we had 2 (two) amazing people who BOTH want the best for the average Aussie turning up at the same time. If people would stand back and look at both of them, you would find amazing, sincere, people for the people

What a lot of nonsense, both were only in it for themselves... so you think poor Julia setting up a illegal union slush fund secretly was wanting the best for the Australian people, you think poor Julia lying about a carbon tax was good for Australia.... as to Krudd, what about his hissy fit when the Australian defence forces could not provide him with a hair dryer, and abusing his staff and other defence force personnel - was that wanting the best for the average Australian?

My only hope is that the people get behind the labor party

Dont worry, Australians will kick labor out next election, they have had enough of their incompetence and lies and backstabbing. Remember, all labor cares about is rorting the system, union power and whining about Abbott.
edit on 26-6-2013 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I haven't had a chance to read every comment, but yet again it appears as though people have missed the point of how a so-called Democracy can now have 2 Prime Ministers in a row get the top job despite not receiving the majority vote of the people. Yes, I understand it was a Labour party vote, but the winner of that vote then became Prime Minister. Aren't the people supposed to determine the Prime Minister by public vote ?

Labour, Liberal, Greens etc, they are all feeding from the same trough behind the scenes, and all riding the same gravy train. When they come out in public they split into their party groups to give the gullible Australian public the impression of having a choice and that their vote counts.

But if our vote counts, then why do we now have 2 Prime Ministers in a row win the top job without a majority vote ?

Just because we may be more democratic than other countries, does not automatically mean that we are a democratic society. This is the mistake many Australians make. A true democracy isn't judged by how well you are doing compared to other countries. A true democracy is based on what democracy stands for. Open and fair elections. The majority deciding the outcome of a vote. Did either of these 2 things happen with our last 2 Prime Ministers ?

And has anyone noticed how quite Abbott has been in the last 2-3 weeks. Australia is so determined to see off Labour that we are forgetting that while this happens, Abbott doesn't have to make any policies or promises, and will win by default. the same thing happened in the NSW state elections, where we were so eager to get rid of Kristina Keneally that Barry O'Farrell didn't have to make a single policy and would be accountable to no one. Its called winning by default. And Tony Abbott is soon about to have this experience. But when they all feed from the same trough behind the scenes, then policies or promises mean little to begin with.

But its not hard to see how they get away with it. Last night when all this was breaking, 99% of comments I read were "get this political crap off and get the State of Origin on". Yep, we care more about a bunch of redneck wife beating thugs, then we do about who makes the decisions that affect us all. And people wonder how the term "sheeple" came into existence.

But it is ironic that a ruby league game would take peoples interest more then the political landscape. They are applying the same mentality as they do to politics. Pick one side and give that side your unconditional support, unless of course they start losing and then your support becomes a little more selective. But as long as the blue team beats the maroon team, or vice-versa, then it doesn't matter what's happening behind the scene's. As long as your team [political party] wins then it everything is as it should be.

Is it just a co-incidence that this all happened about an hour before one of the most hyped up, and talked about Origin games in recent history, just like the Federal Reserve always releases the new interest rates on Melbourne Cup day when the majority of the nations attention is on something else ? These politicans might be dumb, but they aren't stupid. And they know how the average Australians brain works and they play on this. And they've just played us again, for the 2nd time in a row.

Take a bow Australia !

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AussieDingus
Aren't the people supposed to determine the Prime Minister by public vote ?

Not under the Westminster system Australia runs under. You vote for someone in your electorate, the elected members of the party that win the most seats then vote for a PM. The voting public have no say at all.
australianpolitics.com...

A true democracy is based on what democracy stands for. Open and fair elections. The majority deciding the outcome of a vote. Did either of these 2 things happen with our last 2 Prime Ministers ?

Yes, remember the public have no direct say in who is PM, that is up to the elected members.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

'big business' are who decides?

Yes shock horror its a conspiracy forum folks believe such things!
Perhaps such facts are too shocking for you in which case i direct you to fairfax & sons or News Ltd.

edit on 26-6-2013 by Theprimordialocker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

was that wanting the best for the average Australian?

What income bracket do these average Australians of yours fall into above 70,000 kpa does anyone under that become scum worthy eugenics cleansing or death camps!

Perhaps if the PLA & china took over they could provide a better standard of living for the vast majority other than our present anglo/masonic elite.Euro folks are becoming a minority in Aus anyway.

edit on 26-6-2013 by Theprimordialocker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

ah Bruce, you have shown your colours far too many imes for me to even want to debate you. I see you as a lib plant on here to counter any arguments that might hold water (what are they called? a lib shill?). Your contempt for anyone in the ALP is only equalled ............ no ............bettered by my contempt for that extremely adept leader of the LNP. He is by far the most amazing destroyer I have ever watched. He played an incedibly disciplined game of negativity for the past 3 years. How one could hold so much negativity together for so long is beyond me. But that actually is the point. He is so good at destructive politics that imo, he would bring that same idea to the lodge if he ever got in.
He ads a completely new spin on "down the r abbott hole".

I stick by my comments that the ALP were "unfortunate" in having two amazing people who were/are for improving the quality of life of the average aussie at the same time. Either could lead the country and in saying that, the ALP was in the sad position of being torn between these 2 incredible people.

Heaven help us if the LNP do gain power. some version of work choices WILL be back with a different label, the education reforms WILL be demolished, pensioners WILL be worse off, disabled people WILL be put on the back burner once again, our childrens' education WILL slip down the list compared to other countries, our economic opportunities gained from being a leading nation in controling carbon emissions WILL go to other countries due to Abbott's intransigence (ie we would end up losing our competitive advantage). And the list goes on and on and on and on .......
edit on 26-6-2013 by greatfriendbadfoe because: sp

edit on 26-6-2013 by greatfriendbadfoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by greatfriendbadfoe
some version of work choices WILL be back with a different label, the education reforms WILL be demolished, pensioners WILL be worse off, disabled people WILL be put on the back burner once again, our childrens' education WILL slip down the list compared to other countries, our economic opportunities gained from being a leading nation in controling carbon emissions WILL go to other countries due to Abbott's intransigence (ie we would end up losing our competitive advantage). And the list goes on and on and on and on

Funny that all labor party members can do is constantly whine AbbottAbbottAbbottAbbottAbbott to cover up the fact that the labor party did not want Krudd as PM as he was incompetent, they knifed him in the back then put poor Juliar in that position. Then then realised how badly poor Juliar was running the country, her past at setting up a union slush fund was catching up on her so they dumped her as they realised with her as PM labor would be totally wiped out next election. Now labor have Krudd back in as PM, as they realised they would have to put up with his incompetence as there was no one else in labor to run the country.

I wonder how long before Krudd has another hissy fit about not being able to get a hair dryer
www.couriermail.com.au...

or how long before he abuses RAAF staff....
www.news.com.au...

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by hellobruce

Originally posted by AussieDingus
Aren't the people supposed to determine the Prime Minister by public vote ?

Not under the Westminster system Australia runs under. You vote for someone in your electorate, the elected members of the party that win the most seats then vote for a PM. The voting public have no say at all.
australianpolitics.com...

A true democracy is based on what democracy stands for. Open and fair elections. The majority deciding the outcome of a vote. Did either of these 2 things happen with our last 2 Prime Ministers ?

Yes, remember the public have no direct say in who is PM, that is up to the elected members.

I am aware of this, but what I'm saying is that its the politicians that shove this rubbish down our throat and that our vote counts, when our own system proves that our vote doesn't count. The same politicians that tell us we live in a democratic country.

But we get John Howard winning because he did a last minute back flip and agreed to take the One Nation votes, which got him and Liberal over the line. Then we have Julia Gillard going against the public vote and doing back door deals to over throw Rudd. Now we have Rudd coming back in by using Gillards very trick back against her. If anyone in this country still thinks that we are a democracy with these blatant examples is not only ignorant, but borderline deluded !

The fact that we vote for a party, and not its leader should be yet another clear example of how corrupted our system is. So basically, our system is, pick one of two parties [two-party preferred system]. Don't worry about who the leader is or what their policies are, just pick the winning team and everything will be fine. It is the leader of a political party that is putting their name to the policies. The policies are not of a party, they are of the leader of the party [and their advisor's].

Use last night as an example. How can anyone say that Labour have policies, with all the infighting and back stabbing that has been going on. Labour policies according to which Labour candidate ? Rudd and Gillard have different approaches and different view points, so how can anyone say that Rudd and Gillard were putting forward labour's policies. And this is why we should be voting for the leader, not the party, and then holding that leader responsible for his/her policies. Why do you think its so easy for politicians these days to just make all these policies and then do a back flip when it suits then, or have no intentions of ever bringing those policies into action once elected. People make up all political parties, and those people should be individually voted in by the majority, and their personal policies held to account.

A political party is nothing more than a registered party on a piece of paper. Its the people in those parties who then bring that party into existence. Therefore, it should be them, and their policies that get voted for or against. Surely that has to better than our current system of, toss a coin and hope you picked the winning party. And when most people approach politics like its a sporting game, then no wonder the politicians are lining up for a ride of the taxpayer funded gravy train.

And as a final insult, Gillard, now as a former PM, gets to resign on $1,000,000+ a year in super. Not bad considering the effort she put into attacking our much less super while in power. Gillard retires into the sunset and laughing all the way to the bank, while we're left to pick up the pieces, again !

And what good is voting for a political party, when behind the scenes its all one big party taking turns from the tax payer provided trough. There are no parties, the left props up the right, and the right props up the left and they feed off each other all the while playing the game against the people, but furthering their own careers and topping up their over the top Superannuation. It doesn't matter what mess their party left behind because they retire on a Superannuation that will give them the good life after politics. Not to mention all the contacts in high places that they now have if they want to set up their own business with the inside knowledge of the corporate/government world.

And in closing, no true Democratic country would every force its citizens to vote, and fine them for not voting. If you aren't happy with the candidates policies, then in a free, or democratic country, you should have the OPTION of not voting, instead of our current system of forcing people to vote and choosing the lesser of two evils. This is why we should be voting for the party leader, so we can then vote on that leaders policies and hold them accountable for breaking those policies. Which is the opposite to how we operate today !

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by AussieDingus

Your words ring true my friend but you forgot to mention that not only does she receive a million dollar plus superannuation payout but also a secretary, a chauffeur driven car and a 'gold card' so that she doesn't have to pay for anything (well, most things) anyway. She will then write her memoirs to put more money in her 'bicky bin' as well as joining the 'speaker' circuit. Nice work when you can get it.
Her tenure has been disastrous. The 'home insulation' debacle. The mis-handling of the 'boat people' situation. The Carbon Tax and the Mining Tax abortions have had the Country up-in-arms but she failed to acknowledge the 'will of the people' and with total aloof she threw her weight around and continued on a path of (what can only be described as) self destruction taking the Labor Party with her.
Kevin Rudd will salvage some seats but nowhere near enough to avoid almost total annihilation.
Ding-Dong the Witch is Gone!

edit on 27-6-2013 by OzTiger because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-6-2013 by OzTiger because: spelling

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join