It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Lawmaker attempts to block stringent abortion restrictions with 13 hour filibuster

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

So if they have to break the law to stop it then it's ok? We should throw out the rules to stop it?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

So if they have to break the law to stop it then it's ok? We should throw out the rules to stop it?

What laws were broken?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

They attempted to pass a law after the end of a special session, changing the time stamp showing when the vote was taken.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

reply to post by NavyDoc

While I agree, there is another aspect of this which was good to see. For once there were people actually interested in what was going on with the governmental process, and paying attention to what the government was trying to do.

Right! And the right to congregate and protest are also constitutionally protected activities.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
IMO, a special session should only deal with budget issues and am glad this issue failed. . I think it's time to get rid of Perry.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

Logged in just to *Star* your post.
What the religulous fail to comprehend ( or choose to ignore ) is that the Constitution not only guarantees freedom of religion but also freedom from religion.

K~

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Mid term abortions for no other reason than to save the life of the Mother are disgusting.

I'm not saying people can't do it if they choose. After all, it's their own conscience they have to deal with for the rest of their lives. These aren't blips on an ultrasound screen we're talking about...they are fully formed little human beings. But I think we all know that. These women who are fighting for the right to abort these babies *at that stage of development* are in my opinion, doing it just for the sake of the battle over "women's rights".

Who will be there for the woman, or teenage girl, if and when she realizes that she's made a dire mistake? I had a close friend who had years of emotional problems after an abortion that she had (and didn't realize she was as far along as she was until it was too late). The guilt messed with her head a lot and was pretty unforgiving.

In the end, I don't see any winners in this battle at all.

And I'm not religious.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

“These voices have been silenced by a governor who made blind partisanship and personal political ambition the official business of our great state.”

What about the voices that have been silenced before they ever had a chance to speak?

I find it incredible that we claim to live in a civilized society while we continue to eliminate our own offspring, our gift to the next generation, in this barbaric manner.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The moral stance of people against abortion astounds me, when they do not want to step up and pay for the costs of raising those children. Or that the group screaming about how over burdened or wrong an 'welfare system' is; who then turn around and demand that every fetus be born.

The aborted fetus does not place an economic burden on society.
But the bulk of the anti-abortion crowd are _NOT_ willing to step up, raise and pay for those children's medical care, education, housing and food.

Smells like hypocrisy to me.
M.

edit on 26-6-2013 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by StalkerSolent

We don't eliminate our own offspring. (Well we do when we send them to was and what not) But family planning and birth control is a personal regulation of choice of when and if we want offspring.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by StalkerSolent

We don't eliminate our own offspring. (Well we do when we send them to was and what not) But family planning and birth control is a personal regulation of choice of when and if we want offspring.

I'm not sure how terminating the life of a unique human creature in the name of "birth control" is not "eliminating our own offspring," albeit before they are born. Children, even unborn ones are the offspring, the direct result, if you will, of human breeding. An unborn child has its own unique DNA coding, a genetic combination of the parents. A DNA strand by itself is incredible, but when given life and the opportunity to manifest itself as a living self-aware creature, it becomes something precious.

To be killed in wars and whatnot is terrible, but at least they had the chance to see the sun and watch the grass grow. We kill these little ones before they even see their mother's face.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I am pro choice. But I thought the issue/legislation in question was dealing with mid term (20 weeks +) abortions.

We are talking about someone who potentially found out that they were pregnant around the beginning of February, deciding to have an abortion tomorrow.

Believe me, if a woman finds out she's pregnant and knows that she is not mother material, then we should listen. No one knows us better than we do. Forcing the births of unwanted babies isn't doing anyone any favors.

But at some point we have to concede that perhaps the woman's indecision comes with a price and it's too late to go that route.

Don't wait until the baby is aware and comforted by the sound of your voice before you decide to get rid of it.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

reply to post by NavyDoc

While I agree, there is another aspect of this which was good to see. For once there were people actually interested in what was going on with the governmental process, and paying attention to what the government was trying to do.

Right! And the right to congregate and protest are also constitutionally protected activities.

I am fine that they congregated and protested. But at the same time, they were blocking the proceedings that were going on.

I am not saying that they should not have. All I am saying is that extra time should have been granted to complete the proceeding, equal to the time that the protesters disrupted them.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

They attempted to pass a law after the end of a special session, changing the time stamp showing when the vote was taken.

Okay, that sounds like a House or Senate protocol, that wouldn't be a state or federal law.

Again, what laws were broken?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by aethertek
reply to post by Rocker2013

Logged in just to *Star* your post.
What the religulous fail to comprehend ( or choose to ignore ) is that the Constitution not only guarantees freedom of religion but also freedom from religion.

K~

No it does not. The phrase "freedom from religion" appears nowhere in the Constitution.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moshpet
The moral stance of people against abortion astounds me, when they do not want to step up and pay for the costs of raising those children. Or that the group screaming about how over burdened or wrong an 'welfare system' is; who then turn around and demand that every fetus be born.

But the bulk of the anti-abortion crowd are _NOT_ willing to step up, raise and pay for those children's medical care, education, housing and food.

M.

Why is there a welfare system to begin with? That's a reasonable debate right there.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by Moshpet

M.

Why is there a welfare system to begin with? That's a reasonable debate right there.

Because some people really cant take care of themselves. Hard to believe I know, but its true.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Perry has called a second special session to let them try again. The next session will start July 1.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I do not know enough on the subject about terminating after 20 weeks to have much of an opinion however from what I have gathered that is not the main issue here.

The main issue is that this legislation would in affect shut down all but a few remaining clinics 5 is what I read. That would strain resources on those remaining clinics essentially making it near impossible for all those seeking an abortion at any time period to be able to do so in Texas.
Now this is just my opinion but how hard would it be or out of the ordinary to picture those remaining clinics being fire bombed by hard line zealots?

No this is about much more than just changing the time frame down to 20 weeks. I see a lot of replies about the trauma of those that regret abortions or lost life but I have seen firsthand what happens to unwanted kids. Not only are there lives often ruined but so are the parents. Children should be wanted not forced upon people as a punishment because when it’s forced no one wins then.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join