It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican economic theory, and its flaws

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Hey Loki,

Been following this thread for a couple of days now, and as much as I enjoy discussions on economics, I would just like to point out how futile it is to compare any Republican, Democratic, Libertarian, Green, or any other economic theory to what is actually happening in America right now.

It is simply a corporate economy. It is an economy of greed and exploitation. Large companies becoming larger, and largely at the expense of the millions of individuals they manipulate, exploit, and cheat whenever risk is low.

I liken a corporation to any other bureaucracy. While starting humbly with good intentions, they eventually become an organism, which exists solely to justify their own existence. A corporation, or bureaucratic embodiment, must survive. But not merely survive, but grow. And in order to grow, it must feed. And if profits do not grow faster than the rate of inflation, or faster than the rate of others on the food chain, it will die. This simply will not do.

In order to beat the rate of inflation, eliminate debt faster than it is procured, outlive interest payments, and all the while fend off the other corporations who are vying for the very top of the economic food chain, these organisms MUST exploit every weakness in their enemies as well as thier prey. The prey being the consumer.

I'm sorry to say this, but our sole function as Americans, as far as our corporate base is concerned is to feed them. We are the food. We have been brought up to consume. We have been told that unless we make enough money to consume on a regular basis, we are unworthy, undesireable, and generally unwanted.

I think it's funny to gauge the market by what television commercials are running most. When interest rates were at an all time low, you didn't see many bank commercials, because they didn't want us to borrow. But we did see a lot of home and car commercials, because they knew we'd buy. This may seem like common sense, and it is, but only because we choose to accept it as common. The way I see it, it's manipulation and exploitation, which we as a nation and a world have bought hook, line, and sinker.

Also, notice how good these corporations are getting at market targeting techniques. Always becoming more streamlined, more efficient. I think everyone can see, however, that the more efficient a company becomes, especially through automation, the less people there are to buy their products. And so, in effect, they are crushing their own markets in the attempt to produce for less.

This has almost become a rant. I really should just sit down an organize these thoughts one day. What are your thoughts?

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
Hey Loki,

Been following this thread for a couple of days now, and as much as I enjoy discussions on economics, I would just like to point out how futile it is to compare any Republican, Democratic, Libertarian, Green, or any other economic theory to what is actually happening in America right now.

It is simply a corporate economy. It is an economy of greed and exploitation. Large companies becoming larger, and largely at the expense of the millions of individuals they manipulate, exploit, and cheat whenever risk is low.

I liken a corporation to any other bureaucracy. While starting humbly with good intentions, they eventually become an organism, which exists solely to justify their own existence. A corporation, or bureaucratic embodiment, must survive. But not merely survive, but grow. And in order to grow, it must feed. And if profits do not grow faster than the rate of inflation, or faster than the rate of others on the food chain, it will die. This simply will not do.

In order to beat the rate of inflation, eliminate debt faster than it is procured, outlive interest payments, and all the while fend off the other corporations who are vying for the very top of the economic food chain, these organisms MUST exploit every weakness in their enemies as well as thier prey. The prey being the consumer.

I'm sorry to say this, but our sole function as Americans, as far as our corporate base is concerned is to feed them. We are the food. We have been brought up to consume. We have been told that unless we make enough money to consume on a regular basis, we are unworthy, undesireable, and generally unwanted.

I think it's funny to gauge the market by what television commercials are running most. When interest rates were at an all time low, you didn't see many bank commercials, because they didn't want us to borrow. But we did see a lot of home and car commercials, because they knew we'd buy. This may seem like common sense, and it is, but only because we choose to accept it as common. The way I see it, it's manipulation and exploitation, which we as a nation and a world have bought hook, line, and sinker.

Also, notice how good these corporations are getting at market targeting techniques. Always becoming more streamlined, more efficient. I think everyone can see, however, that the more efficient a company becomes, especially through automation, the less people there are to buy their products. And so, in effect, they are crushing their own markets in the attempt to produce for less.

This has almost become a rant. I really should just sit down an organize these thoughts one day. What are your thoughts?

And here it starts. You are right. Corporations do fuel this economy. ONLY WHEN THE GOVERNMENT REGULATES THEM AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. Other than ensuring a monopoly does not occur, or collusion, the government should completely step out. As long as there is competition between corporations, prices will go down, efficiancy will go up, and productivity will go up.

When you start regulating things, the competition factor goes away. Yes, companies do strive to get larger...often with success. it is not at the expense of a common citizen though.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The fear is that if you tax a large corporation it will pack up and leave...this is the problem.

So they move to Latin America where they are allowed to run amok... hiring 4 year old kids to make stuff.. beat them... unsanitary working conditions... put out huge amounts of environmental pollution.. no labor laws.. no environmental restrictions.

But then if you quit taxing large corporations where does all this revenue come from?

Sure, corporations already have too much power, look how much control they have over the government as it is. They now have the ability to begin wars in places like Iraq and watch the revenue flow in at the expenses of peoples lives.

Give the corporations even more power and who knows what will happen.

[edit on 10-11-2004 by RedOctober90]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
I disagree that the military needs a budget cut.

The only thing effective about the military, is it's ability to fight. Logistically it is no better than the rest of the federal government.

I think that by closing all overseas bases, and reconcentrating our energy, we could cut large portions of military spending without hurting our military.

On the subject of overseas bases,

I think that it's silly the amount of money that we spend on them is ludicrous. I'm not saying that we should shut down every military base that's overseas, but I think that Germany has something like 9 military bases, just in that one country. I know that there are far more bases overseas that we truly need.

The government, as silly as it sounds, needs to take a few lessons from Amy Dacyzyn.
I grew up in a single-parent household, and her books were pretty much the only way we could afford to live comfortably, despite being below the poverty line.

But then, that would be a oxymoron. I mean, Beaurecratically efficient? Never happen.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedOctober90
The fear is that if you tax a large corporation it will pack up and leave...this is the problem.

So they move to Latin America where they are allowed to run amok... hiring 4 year old kids to make stuff.. beat them... unsanitary working conditions... put out huge amounts of environmental pollution.. no labor laws.. no environmental restrictions.

But then if you quit taxing large corporations where does all this revenue come from?

Sure, corporations already have too much power, look how much control they have over the government as it is. They now have the ability to begin wars in places like Iraq and watch the revenue flow in at the expenses of peoples lives.

Give the corporations even more power and who knows what will happen.

[edit on 10-11-2004 by RedOctober90]

Coming from someone who has a picture of that jerk in their avatar, this doesn't suprise me one bit.

What everyone needs to understand is that corporations are regulated FAR beyond monopolies and collusion. The government is deeply involved with controlling prices and labor. If you want to go head to head with me on this one I will greatly oblige.

You take out all the regulation, then the corporations have no business worrying about controlling senators and other government officials, because those entities are not affecting how the corporation runs. So who does? THE PEOPLE DO! As long as a competion exists between the corporations, they will have no choice but to maintain FAIR pricing, FAIR labor, and FAIR business practices. Otherwise the people will run them out. How is this you say? The more regulation and tax the governemnt imposes on us, the less ability we have to control our own destiny. If the governement backs off its regulation.....more people will be able to compete and create their own wealth. Businesses are out for one thing only. To make money. If they are not running in a monopoly, and are not in collusion with each other, then they have no choice but to compete FAIRLY.

All we need now is for people like you to realize this so we can get the government to back off.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join