It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church without God - by design

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I think this is good news,and about time. Community and human spirituality have been monopolized and some would say hurt, by huge religions for too long.

It's about time those who aren't willing to blindly let others control their lives for strange or dubious purposes are able to have their own fellowship and community.

I see this movement growing bigger and bigger until the west will be like the mediterranean was two thousand years ago, with small movements and cults springing up all over the place. Interesting times indeed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------

Church without God - by design

religion.blogs.cnn.com...

Boston (CNN)-– It’s Sunday in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and a rapt congregation listens to a chaplain preach about the importance of building a community.

A few dozen people sit quietly for the hourlong service. Music is played, announcements are made and scholars wax poetic about the importance of compassion and community.

Outsiders could be forgiven for believing this service, with its homilies, its passing of the plate, its uplifting songs, belongs in a church.

If so, it’s a church without one big player: God.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I can never understand the concept of the atheistic themed church. As an atheist I do agree with the views from this article, but you'll never seen me in church anytime soon.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

I used to go to church when I was a kid. The only thing I took from it, that was good that is, was the serenity of the place.

It's where I did learn that priests and religious folk in general are utter hypocrites, and that if you are different then you are not welcome, unless you're too different and make them feel good about helping you.. then you're welcome and they can't get enough of you.

which makes it kinda sleazy.

so.. but yeah, sitting in a church before mass, I used to love the peace, the calm and safety of the place. until all the christians came in and ruined it, that is.

But from the idea presented in the OP.. why not just have a community gathering each week to discuss issues pertaining to the local community and have coffee and cake.

no need to 'be' a church without god. just be a group.. Bit like an AA meeting except the drunks are quiet instead of hogging all the talk time. bloody drunks.. Oo

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Dear CB328

It's about time those who aren't willing to blindly let others control their lives for strange or dubious purposes are able to have their own fellowship and community.

??? There are plenty of organizations where people meet without agreeing or believing in God. I read where some believers call Atheism a religion and then Atheists say they are not. Now they have a church. Basically, the article is about an ex-Pastor who decided he still wanted to be a Pastor; but, lost his faith in God. I like the part where they pass the plate for donations, we don't even do that in our church and the leaders do not get paid, we all have full time jobs outside the church. Most of the money we have ever raised has gone to feeding the homeless and others.

You say that you like the idea that this church is for those who don't blindly follow; but, that is exactly what it is. The Pastor even promotes ritual for the sake of ritual. Truthfully, I see it as no different than I see most churches anymore, they don't teach about God, they teach about how you should be a "nice" person and then do exactly what they want. Going to church doesn't make you a believer, it makes you a church goer.

I will liken this to gay marriage. And up front, government condoned marriage to me is nothing more than any other contract and I think we should all be able to access the same government rights. Many gays wanted to get married to be accepted and prove a point; but, the divorce rate among them is even higher than any other group. Real marriage means a real commitment between two people, not a statement for others.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
For some reason this puts me in mind of men who have a sex change and become a lesbian. I'm a guy, and I'm already a lesbian . . . well, so to speak.

Anyway: Seems kinda silly and pointless (speaking of the Atheists, I mean). Unless they're just hedging their bets in case God really is watching....

edit on 6/24/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
A church for atheists is the most retarded thing I've heard. This combined with those fedora wearers really makes me wish I still believed in a god.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Seems kinda silly and pointless

There is nothing pointless about the human need for fellowship and belonging. As someone who is very busy and not able to do regular social things due to having young kids and an overcontrolling spouse, I would love something like this to be able to talk to people on a meaningful level. Compared to normal social things like eating, drinking and watching movies this is probably much more meaningful.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

There's nothing meaningful about atheism, we aren't all supposed to sit around talking about something that isn't there. Might as well have group debates on the Easter Bunny.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

a church without one big player: God.
The big player could be instead: Spirit, spiritual energy, or things that connect us all, like love.

Buddhist have their temples and do not worship a God. But because Judeo-Christian (-Muslim) churches are monotheistic, anything else people miss the point and call it 'pointless'.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
How about this, a church for all belief systems? Or limited to those people who seek peace amongst all humans. So, a christian/muslim/pagan/etc who thinks we need to eliminate so and so or whatever would not be accepted or be allowed to spread violent ideas on the premises. Otherwise all are welcome and everybody can take turns speaking and sharing their thoughts on various things with a general focus on making the world a better place. Of course conversion attempts would be frowned upon, and multiple infractions could lead to expulsion. Or excommunication or whatever...

Maybe have some moderated debates, with respect shown for all and no intentionally derogatory remarks allowed. Community issues could certainly be discussed. We could save money and further connect by preparing meals together. Great big feasts. I got a same club membership we could use to buy in bulk. Then everybody could share their most awesome recipes and we can all have a chance to have different foods. And plus, like I said, save money and get , know one another even better. We could call it The Center. Like the cultish group Sean Hunter breifly joined on Boy Meets World.

"Hey Sean how you doin?" "I'm centered."

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
A church without God? Nope.

What they have is a meeting.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
A church without God? Nope.

What they have is a meeting.
Maybe a meeting is better than praising somebody you have never seen for things he hasn't done.

new topics

top topics

join