It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court could consider suit to block sales of high-ethanol gas blend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Supreme Court could consider suit to block sales of high-ethanol gas blend

www.foxnews.com

" It's a dilemma for drivers: Do they choose a gasoline that's cheaper and cleaner even if, as opponents say, it could damage older cars and motorcycles?
Putting fuel with up to 15 percent ethanol into older cars and trucks "could leave millions of consumers with broken down cars and high repair bills," said Bob Greco, a senior API official who has met with the White House on ethanol issues.

The ethanol industry counters that there have been no documented cases of engine breakdowns. . .
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I for one know first hand of the damaged caused to my vintage motorcycles carburetors brass jets. and have had to replace them 3 times because of the ethanol additive.

But now the Jets are even more expensive and harder to find for these carbs and there are no replacement carbs for these older bikes.

Even my 1994 Pajero has been having problems with its carburetor since ethanol was added and soon I will need to buy a new carb for it.

If only the Ethanol companies or the Petroleum companies would make an additive that removes the Ethanol that would be one of the solutions.

the consumer gets no say in this debate only these multinational Corporations. We should get a choice to have it or not at the pump but there is none.

BTW the 10% Ethanol label on the pump is a minimum not a maximum. I read somewhere that an study showed that up to 30% was in some Gas stations pumps. WUWT?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 24-6-2013 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

My old Mercedes has an all-allow un-sleeved block, and I have no idea what it would do to the k-jet, but I have no problem with a high ethanol blend in my daily driver. Just not in the Benz thanks! As long as there is still real fuel at 98RON available, I dont mind them putting ethanol in the lower grade stuff.

Unless they want to pay for me to sleeve the block, swap the k-jet for a holley... would cost more than the car!
edit on 24-6-2013 by cartenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I'm hoping this carries through. We had a long fight here locally against an Ethanol plant going in a distance outside town which gave the locals like me a good look at the side of the industry they really don't want people talking about. Like the obscene amount of water used at the plant, not to mention to growing and use of acreage previously used for food crops, to grow fuel crops instead.

The insane thing is that the Congressional mandate is a blind one. The industry WILL use xxx,xxx as absolute gallons assured within the national gas supply, regardless of how low demand may drop. That wasn't figured in by the geniuses. So they're facing the literal problem of unworkable and damaging mixture levels ....mandated by law.

Using a food crop to supply energy was never a good idea to begin with IMO. Just not logical.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

I hope you aint mad cuz this bullspit cost me over 1400 in fixes to my fleet of riding mowers and push powers as well as weed eaters and my dredge motors. I think on top of that we should be refunded any damages done to property. It is damage to property.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I certainly hope that this goes through. I have an older motorcycle myself, and I know that when I put any ethanol treated fuel in it, it vibrates like you wouldn't believe. The same thing happens with my husband's old Ford truck. We generally have to go out of our way to fuel up at stations that are 100% ethanol-free. I've found that if we get stuck somewhere that doesn't have pure gas, the Lucas Ethanol Conditioner helps quite a bit with the shakes.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I'm glad for this mostly because It seems that either my gas mileage is even worse, it's not that good to begin with, on the ethanol crap, or the stuff just evaporates.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Hey, just think. The same government that made this wonderful rule is now in charge of your healthcare. Ain't life grand.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Yeh. Ain't life grand.

This mess, like so many others, is a consequence of government trying to serve too many corporate masters. There's no over-arching logic or consistency; all there is, is never-ending attempts to meet yet another boss' demands. I'm surprised the worthless bastards can do anything effectively. Unfortunately, and to my everlasting horror, they do seem to have a knack for enslaving us little people to the needs and demands of the corporate oligarchy....

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

This mess, like so many others, is a consequence of government trying to serve too many corporate masters.

No.
It's a consequence of our government not having a brain...or a leader.
But maybe they'll figure it out.
edit on 6/25/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Maybe. If I thought that they were engaging in a good-faith attempt at good governance, I might agree with that assessment. In fact I'd be almost cheerful if I thought it were just a case of incompetence and lack of leadership. My cynicism, however, is based on evidence that we might not agree upon as evidence. Where I see a looming police state, you may just see an inability at oversight of public agencies.

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth; I'm just saying we probably have widely divergent points-of-view on the seat of the problem....

edit on 6/25/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I found some low grade regular gas and I mix it with some 111LL Avgas, 5 gallons to one. Works great in my bike. you can blend it down a little more. and if you live near a marina they have no ethanol gas available too.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Why do we let 9 unelected judges on the supreme court have final say on every issue.?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I have had old chainsaws where the fuel lines have melted from ethanol

and had fuel pumps ice up during the winter and the engine not get fuel.
78 ford Courier pickups were bad from this and i had to build a heater for the fuel pump on mine.

The higher the ethanol the lower the MPG.

plus stations can water the gas down at the rate of about 1 gal water to 50 gal fuel when they get up to about 30% ethanol.
and 2 gal at 60% ethanol

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Doesn't ethanol burn at 33% less efficiency as regular ethanol free gas?

It kinda seems like a conspiracy to force people to purchase new cars which run better on ethanol. These new cars with electronics are also the type the TPTB/NSA/alphabet agency can track? Just one methodology behind the madness possibly?

Here's an idea...use all that garbage GMO corn and use that crap to turn into ethanol. I would say ethanol is the worst idea I've ever seen...but this is 'Murica and we're full of "worst ideas I've ever seen" type of things lately...

top topics

join