It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A moral delimna: Do I let my grandmother die?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   

DON'T and again i say DON'T give her radiation and chemo... my gpa died because of that...in less than 2 or 3 months.
reply to post by Arolexion

Don't ever discourage someone from choosing chemo and radiation! They saved my life and the lives of other ATS members here. Before I had cancer, I always said I would go the alternative route, but when you're sitting there and hear you have an aggressive cancer, things change. There are tons of people who have had chemo and radiation and are still alive 20 and 30 years later.

Treatments these days are not like years ago. They give you meds for nausea now. Depends on what kind of chemo you get. Some will lose their hair, some won't. My doctors and nurses were constantly monitoring my health and also my emotional well being. They were an amazingly wonderful and caring group.

edit on 26-6-2013 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I remember when I was only 16 or so, and I asked a pal of mine if I should grow out my hair (long), and he said, "You're not making a decision to cut it, so...." What he was implying was that hair grows all by itself. Letting it grow would be a day-to-day passive kind of delaying of a decision, as opposed to a decision that needs to be made.

Buy the Vitamin C stuff and make it available to her. Then, let her take it if she wants to. It's a passive kind of thing. You can buy whatever you want to buy and she gets to take whatever she wants to take. You're not choosing whether or not to operate on her. Just do what you want to do and let her be free to do what she wants to do.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Hiasyouwant

I agree with the sentiments of other posters that as long as you grandma is sound of mind and knows what she wants she should be allowed to make her own decisions.

Is just that simple.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
It's really up to her - if she wants to take on the battle of chemo at her age or try 'alternatives'. All you can do is put forward your suggestions then be supportive of her chosen path. And make sure she knows that.
edit on 26-6-2013 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Wow, so many posters willing to give up the fight...at 81.

My mother is 81 and is recovering from a broken neck. She is taking 2,000 mg. of Lipo Vit-C a day. I make her a small fruit smoothie and put in her dosage. She loves it.

I'm hoping my mother will be around another 20 years to watch her grandchildren and great grandchildren grow up. We've had a great discussion about this.

She say's "We'll I'm eventually going to die anyway" and I said "Yes, but wouldn't it be nice to die healthy?" She said she never thought of it that way.

Her doctors say her progress has been "remarkable" and "exceeding their expectations".

Obviously you know some about the Lipo Vit C so don't pay attention to those that don't. Especially the poster said it's just a vitamin and it will give her diarrhea. That poster doesn't understand Lipo Vit-C.

Vitamin C could be extremely beneficial to the fluids that are building up in her lungs. I won't go on unless you want to hear more.

I would make it at home as the commercial product on the internet is way too expensive, unless you have unlimited funds.

If she decides to radiation or chemo, large doses of vit-c should be given "after" (a day or so) the treatment, not same days at treatment. PM me if you want more info.

It would be great if you could get them to give her vit-c by IV, but in my experience it is futile as the hospital or doctors don't believe.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Hiasyouwant, 1 is sorry to hear of your current situation with your grandmother and her condition, my best wishes and strengths to your her your family and to you as well.

In relation to the information you shared in the op.

Originally posted by Hiasyouwant
Do I press harder on her and do my damnest to get her to just ingest the dang stuff, just to give it a chance, or do I give up, sit idly and just let her go "if it's her time"?

It seems you wish to assist her in good faith as 1 can understand any would who wished to support their elder family member. The thing is I don't think you should force it on her, if she is aware as you describe do you best to share the information with her as broad as you can but not overwhelming to her. Then let her decide if it is something she would be interested in.

Originally posted by Hiasyouwant
do I give up without a fight?

1 tries not to recommend giving up unless you detected a more potential pain associated with her therapy especially as you shared she may not be terminal. Stay by her side like a source of strength and hope as you seem to be doing already
1 knows it may not be easy at times being that source of strength & hope but those chose to do so there is a reason 1 feels and so stay strong.

LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA*******

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join