It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kitchenaid stand mixers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Wonderful machines. They can sometimes last up to 20 years before having any issues, and with a little tinkering, and usually only a few bucks for a new part, they work good as new again.

That being said, I can't for the life of me solve my mixer that fell ill. I've figured out most things that it is NOT, but can't pinpoint the actual problem. What's going on is that from speeds 1 and 2, it doesn't turn on. 4 to 10 is full speed, regardless of whether it's on 4 or 10.

I've tried everything I can think of. I've isolated it down to an electrical problem, not a gear problem. The power box itself works fine. The capacitor works fine. All connections are tight and no broken or soiled wires. No soldering issues. The hall effect sensor seems fine. the 2 speed control screws don't change anything whether theyre fully tightened or fully loosened, or anything in between. the carbon brushes are fine.

Now, there is some sparking from the carbon brushes which doesn't occur on my other perfectly fine kitchenaid. But from what I understand thats a timing issue, and shouldn't call for much concern.

ANY ideas, ATS!?!?

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I bet there's a rheostat somewhere that's gone bad.

A rheostat adjusts voltage - I bet a 10 stage is used in your mixer to adjust power levels.

Mind if I ask which model and what year your mixer is?

Good luck!

ETA: Further digging tells me I was on the right track. It seems you can buy a cheap external rheostat, keep the mixer on max power, and use the external dial to control speed. =]

kitchenaidoven.danielcadams.com...

edit on 23-6-2013 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I would be very sad if my stand mixer was broken. My condolences. Hopefully you will find the answers here that you need. Amazing machines!

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Did you try KItchen Aid customer service? They are very friendly....

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
I bet there's a rheostat somewhere that's gone bad.

A rheostat adjusts voltage - I bet a 10 stage is used in your mixer to adjust power levels.

Mind if I ask which model and what year your mixer is?

Good luck!

ETA: Further digging tells me I was on the right track. It seems you can buy a cheap external rheostat, keep the mixer on max power, and use the external dial to control speed. =]

kitchenaidoven.danielcadams.com...

edit on 23-6-2013 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

Could be it! I've tried to access the rheostat, but can't seem to find the exact electrical component. I've got the switch, but can't see under the switch. Perhaps i'll upload some photos. The model is a K45. Not sure about the year.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
It was the rheostat. I wasn't aware that the unimax power switch was also a potentiometer, i thought it was just a power/no power switch. I took it off, touched the wires, and was able to control the speed. Looking at on of the connectors on the switch, its kinda burnt up, so the obvious answer here is that switch shorted across.

Thanks again for the help and condolences!

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Any serious baker who doesn't have a Kitchenaid or Hobart mixer just isn't serious...
It's a lot of money, but so worth it.

top topics

join