It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How come Laptops..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I'm looking at my new laptop and I was thinking that I might stick a piece of tape over the front camera basically b/c of paranoia. Makes me wonder wouldn't you think laptops would have an slider or option to cover the lens while you're not using it, doesn't sound unreasonable?

Do you think they have just never invited this for spying reasons.
edit on 23-6-2013 by cass1dy09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
i would never ever have a p.c or a laptop with a camera to many things to go wrong

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by billdadobbie
i would never ever have a p.c or a laptop with a camera to many things to go wrong

It's getting relatively hard to find a new(er) laptop without a built-in webcam.

I'm currently on the search for a new laptop and I have yet to find one that doesn't.

Most of my friends and family who are like minded, with conspiracy theories and such, have taped off their webcams on their laptops. FWIW.

Peace.
edit on 23-6-2013 by QUANTUMGR4V17Y because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
If you know how to open it up then pull the wire of the microphone!
If someone wants to spy on you the mic is of much more use to them!

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by cass1dy09

I think the answer is pretty obvious: If it had a slider, people would use it to cover the lens. If they have to remember tape, and then either go find some tape or remember to buy some tape, it's less likely they'll cover it. In other words, I believe that the hardware makers are in the thrall of the PTPB of the computer world--who call the shots on such decisions....

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
If you go to the right shop you can get a product called 'stick on velcro dots. These are round 1/2" dots of velcro with a sticky back. Peel one off, stick it over the camera, peel it off when you need the camera, re-use it until the sticky dies. Put another one on. It is neat and tidy, people don't tend to ask about it, hell, most people don't even see it or think it is supposed to be there.

Easy as! Looks good!

The other alternative is to permanently disable both mic and camera and use external ones when the need arises.

I don't think that manufacturers are doing this deliberately and considering that you mobile phone has two cameras I would be more concerned with the phone.

P

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

There's an idea. And yes I suppose my phone has 1 too.. Yelp!

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

Ahhaha Oh god.. I believe you too

lmao!!

OP.. You say it's a laptop?

You know, you can close the lid, right? Unless I am misunderstanding the "When you're not using it" part.

Oo

edit on 23-6-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Jun 25 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by cass1dy09

I put a piece of electrical tape over mine about a week after I got my laptop. Same reasoning pretty much. I know a few others who've done it and they say the same thing you did.

I've only seen maybe one or two webcameras that have a physical "lens cap" of sorts that is built in.

Never seen anything like that on a laptop though...

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I wonder how many of you put tape over your webcam because it is easy and has no negative side effect. But god forbid you have to give up your smartphone that has TWO cameras, GPS and a gyro. God forbid you stop using googles biased served up search results or have to install TOR on your computer or start encrypting your data.

Everyone who is complaining can cut out 99% of it. But when it boils down to it, you rather be spied on and cry about it then not have the comforts afforded to you by all these technologies. Not because you are lazy, but because ultimately you think you have nothing to hide and dont really need to worry. THAT is what gives them power. No one feels like they need to hide until they have something to hide. But by that time their complacency has already created an environment where you are being spied on constantly. Then its too late.

We need to but a halt to this NOW. All of us. Even the saints among us.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by StrangeTimez

If someone could look through my cell camera, half the time, all they'd see is the inside of my pocket....

I have always used a piece of electrical tape over laptop cams (and microphones) and my XBox Kinect (when not using). Mostly because I'd rather not think it is off and then have it be on at the wrong time.

top topics

join