It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Higher levels of Air-Pollution reduced frequency of North Atlantic hurricanes during 20th century

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
A new study suggests that aerosols from burning fossil-fuels had an affect on the frequency of Tropical Storms and Hurricanes throughout the 20th century.

Based on weather simulations created by researchers, throughout the mid 1800s and into 2050; increases in man-made aerosol emissions contributed to a lesser frequency of Tropical Storm systems in the North Atlantic.

Higher levels of air pollution reduced the frequency of North Atlantic hurricanes and other tropical storms for most of the 20th century, a study said Sunday.

Adding to evidence for mankind's impact on the weather system, the probe found a link between these powerful storms and aerosols, the scientific term for specks of matter suspended in a gas.

The study focused on particles from North America and Europe that were generated mainly from burning fossil fuels.

Researchers from the UK Met Office created weather simulations covering the period 1860 to 2050.

They found that tropical storms were much less frequent during periods when emissions of man-made aerosols increased over the North Atlantic.
au.news.yahoo.com...

I'm a firm believer that contrary to human intervention, the Earth and its weather patterns will have the final say in this ever-changing age of a warming planet. But with the Earths population constantly rising, and the continues cycle of pollute and recycle, etc. Humans are certainly not the biggest help.

You can go green all you want, and I'm sure many of you value the Environment and do your best to keep it clean and Environmental safe. But even if everybody on the planet followed-suit, in most aspects - the waste that man-kind leaves behind is insurmountable. Nearly impossible to clean up.

I'm not trying to sound negative - 'the human plague' - yada yada yada...

But it's true. Despite the fact that Earth cycles are not confined by what humans have to offer it; people can still further along the process of pissing Nature off. - Irritating it to the point where the Earth will want to cleanse itself of what is making it sick.

In this case, man-made emissions caused a decrease in Hazardous weather.
That is not to say that this is a positive thing. It gets to the point, where efforts to correct pollution can cause the exact opposite.

Conversely, the study found that measures since the 1980s to tackle pollution and improve air quality reduced levels of aerosols -- and in turn ramped up hurricane activity.

It's a delicate balance. - The luxuries of what some people take for granted, are not necessarily 'natural' to the planet itself. Trees are natural, grass is natural, other organisms, including human beings may be natural. - But it is what this 'intelligent' species has found itself able to create; to build, that is not natural.

I am in no opposition to these luxuries.
I enjoy them just as much as anybody else.
-
But facts are facts.
There's no denying it.

The research team postulates that in the future, it will be Earth-warming greenhouse gases, much longer-lasting than aerosols, that will exert the most influence on tropical storm frequency.

Previous work published in Nature Climate Change had said that while the number of tropical storms was not projected to increase in future, their intensity was.
Link

The Earth will continue doing what it naturally does, however.
I guess people should buckle up and enjoy the ride.
-
And if man-made pollution was a direct cause of Global-Warming?,
It would be to late to turn back now. - Don't place that burden on your shoulders.

It's water under the bridge...
soon to be at your doorstep.

Lol.

edit on 23-6-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

This reminds me of the time in my youth when they were all jumping up and down saying the pollution would result in a new ice age. Then, somewhere along the line, they got it into their heads that the same pollution was creating a "greenhouse effect" and causing global warming. Now, it seems they're falling back onto the cooling story for this study.

I just wish they would make up their minds or admit that they haven't got a clue of what they're doing when it comes to climate predictions.

new topics

join