It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Really Want To Be Free?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
It is my opinion that the vast majority of Americans no longer desire true freedom. They want freedom from personal responsibility, and freedom from paying for their mistakes. They want freedom from making tough choices and freedom from providing for themselves.

What is Freedom?

The power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint.
I think we can all agree that my freedom to swing my fist ends where your nose begins, Free individuals are able to do what they wish, while respecting the freedoms of others. I can pick from my garden, but not yours. I can drive my car, but not yours. I can spend my money, but not yours. I can worship my god without requiring you to. And, you would do all the same for me. That is "freedom" in a nutshell. Liberty with concern for the liberties of others. In a perfect world, we could all live harmoniously in that manner.

The truth is that men are tired of liberty. Benito Mussolini

So, what is "Liberty"? Why is it so bad from the progressive viewpoint?

Individualist and classical liberal conceptions of liberty typically consist of the freedom of individuals from outside compulsion or coercion. This conception of liberty suggests that people should, must, and ought to behave according to their own free will, and take responsibility for their actions,

"Take responsibility for their own actions" That is what many of the current breed of Americans fear. Responsibility from heavy burdens, even if it means burdening someone else. Even if it means stealing from someone else through the power of government.

"The free man is the man who is not in irons, nor imprisoned in a gaol (jail), nor terrorized like a slave by the fear of punishment... it is not lack of freedom not to fly like an eagle or swim like a whale." Helvetius

That is what our founding fathers tried to institute. Equality of opportunity not equality of outcome. Failure due to causes such as nature, lack, incapacity, or simple unwillingness to try are not failures of freedom and liberty.

The question is: Do you want to be free? Do you want the freedom to succeed or fail on your own merits? Do you want to be free from excessive and intrusive government, or do you want "cradle to grave" comfort and care by a nanny state government?

People like to say "the elites are dividing us". The truth is that there are really two types of people. Those who desire true freedom and those who do not.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I have been awake for so much it bothers me to express my feelings.Free is only in the mind these days.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I would have to agree, most folks want a free ride not freedom,
it does ironically parody religion in many ways, most want the
freedom to do as they please while simultaneously denying others
the same simply out of spite, i would rather have freedom than
anything else, its just so much more comforting to not worry
that some yahoo is gonna get a whim to decide that i should
do things his way and if i dont then i am a threat.....

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Greetings,

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
People like to say "the elites are dividing us". The truth is that there are really two types of people. Those who desire true freedom and those who do not.

People are fools to think the " elite " are dividing us, we are dividing ourselves by means of not wanting to carry an extra burden. If people stood up for themselves then unto others we would all be living in a better place, controlling the world as WE see fit

Great post and topic OP, many thanks indeed

Be safe be well

Spiro

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

The question is: Do you want to be free? Do you want the freedom to succeed or fail on your own merits? Do you want to be free from excessive and intrusive government, or do you want "cradle to grave" comfort and care by a nanny state government?

That one! I want that one there!

All of the others seem like too much effort for my liking. Would I be prepared to sacrifice my life to ensure the freedoms of others? Yeah, probably. But would I be prepared to give up my TV, iPad, Playstation 3, Sour Cream & Onion Pringles, Mobile Phone etc...? Naaaaaaa, now you're asking too much!

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

That one! I want that one there!

All of the others seem like too much effort for my liking. Would I be prepared to sacrifice my life to ensure the freedoms of others? Yeah, probably. But would I be prepared to give up my TV, iPad, Playstation 3, Sour Cream & Onion Pringles, Mobile Phone etc...? Naaaaaaa, now you're asking too much!

Sadly, I believe that at least 47% of the people in this country want exactly that. Probably more.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

The old saying that 'you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone' holds court on this, I think. Liberty is mostly taken for granted because you are born to it, raised with it and come to expect it each and everyday. The very concept of it NOT being there is beyond the ability for many people.

As far as political divisions? Our elected (ahem!) government prefers to keep us squabbling amongst ourselves... because our attention is NOT on them! Moreover, a house divided shall not stand as one and considering the last few years and the effect it has had on our liberties, keeping us in the political, gladiatorial arena slashing at each other is undoubtedly the preferred avenue.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Probably more?

Definitely more. I would say that at least 80% of people in the US share that sentiment.

I've said it a million times on here, the answer to the problem is massive bloodshed. Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Only some of us do. This is a losing battle.

How can you fight against a system that bribes its constituents with "free" stuff?
"Free" healthcare.
"Free" housing.
"Free" phones.
"Free" phones.
"Free" money.

In answer to your question though, yes. Yes I'd like to be free. Free to defend myself and my family as I see fit

Free to say what I want.

Free to read what I want.

Free to watch what I want.

Free to live where I want.

Free to earn what I want.

Free to keep what I earn.

Free to help those others at my own discretion, not governments.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

In answer to your question though, yes. Yes I'd like to be free. Free to defend myself and my family as I see fit

Free to say what I want.

Free to read what I want.

Free to watch what I want.

Free to live where I want.

Free to earn what I want.

Free to keep what I earn.

Free to help those others at my own discretion, not governments.
Unfortunately, desiring those freedoms makes you an enemy of the state. Me too.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Government's first job is to insure that it's existence is secure. Government only "helps" those that'll insure the growth of further government.

Government is a necessary evil.

But it is also the antithesis of freedom.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I'd probably change the wording of your two types to those who accept responsibility for themselves and those who won't.

For example, the "privilege" of driving a car. How much more careful would drivers be if they knew having an accident would cost them personally? Shared responsibility, especially if its forced, breeds carelessness and a lack of responsibility. In a wreck, ah shoot, call a lawyer.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by frazzle

I'd probably change the wording of your two types to those who accept responsibility for themselves and those who won't.

For example, the "privilege" of driving a car. How much more careful would drivers be if they knew having an accident would cost them personally? Shared responsibility, especially if its forced, breeds carelessness and a lack of responsibility. In a wreck, ah shoot, call a lawyer.
To me responsibility and freedom go hand in hand. I do agree with you though.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

yes, it is all i ever wanted, it is the weak minded and elites that defend the system. the problem is the weak minded are lead by the elite via media, pills, food, technology. The elite also create weak minded using those tools as well.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

What is Freedom?

The power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint.

I think we can all agree that my freedom to swing my fist ends where your nose begins,

ROLFLMAO - watching you contradicting yourself in just 2 sentences is priceless

freedom - by definition has no limits

by agreeing to end your freedom to swing your fist ` where someone elses nose starts ` is volutarily giving up your freedon [ to swing fists ] in order to avoid consequences

Free individuals are able to do what they wish, while respecting the freedoms of others.

a form of volutary restraint and co-operation - AKA civilisation
edit on 24-6-2013 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

What is Freedom?

I think we can all agree that my freedom to swing my fist ends where your nose begins,

ROLFLMAO - watching you contradicting yourself in just 2 sentences is priceless
Not at all. You are confusing Freedom with liberty. Reread this sentence:

That is "freedom" in a nutshell. Liberty with concern for the liberties of others.
Now try to understand.

Originally posted by ignorant_apefreedom - by definition has no limits by agreeing to end your freedom to swing your fist ` where someone elses nose starts ` is volutarily giving up your freedon [ to swing fists ] in order to avoid consequences
You are wrong. Liberty has no limits. Again Freedom is "Liberty" with concern for the liberties of others. Is this too difficult for you to understand? That may be part of the problem here. The dumbed down education system may have affected the ability of some to express and comprehend some material. I thought I had simplified it enough.

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

Free individuals are able to do what they wish, while respecting the freedoms of others.

a form of volutary restraint and co-operation - AKA civilisation
edit on 24-6-2013 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)
You are just restating what I said, but not comprehending it. Freedom is exactly what you say there. "Liberty" is freedom unrestrained. Thus "taking undo liberties upon someone or something" is considered "bad" and was once a euphemism for rape for example. Please take some time to think and actually consider the difference in the words and the concepts they represent. You may also want to work on your spelling, it makes you seem even more uneducated. I don't believe that to be the case, I think you may be a victim of "no child left behind" or some similar program.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Realizing you are not free is not the same as being free.

The closer one gets to being free, the more one realizes they want to belong.

The closer one appears to being free, the more one is marginalized by those who are not free who are the majority.

Free people scare people who are not free, that's why some guy walking around with a backpack, minding his own business is treated like a criminal and harassed by the local sheepdogs just for passing through.

Pesky free people, such a problem that they realize being locked into a 30 year mortgage and working some #ty job just doesn't really cut it.

No money to be made if you don't need or want anything they are trying to sell you.

Pesky free people who don't contribute to society, walkin around all happy and stuff, can't have that.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
In my opinion, the vast majority of people in the world wouldn't know what to do with freedom if they had it.

Does anybody know what time it is ?, does anybody really care ?, Oh I can't imagine why, We all have time enough to die.

The Great American Experiment appears to have failed, until people realize they have more options than are obviously presented to them things will only get worse.

What's the latest, revised version of UCC 1-207, it doesn't really matter, there's stuff to watch on TV, your phone's ringing, you can't hear anything over your car stereo, you got stuff to do.

Nevermind.

top topics

join