It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Only Treasure that You can Bring With You To The Afterlife Is What You Have Given To Others

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
The love or hate you have, THAT is what goes to the afterlife with you.
Earths treasures (material goods, ego, ideology, political party, drugs, sex, etc) ... no.
He's saying more than the material goods are 'earthly treasures' to be left behind.
People treasure more than just bobbles and trinkets ...
Examine your life. Look around you.
What earthly treasure do you have, or that you see, that is excess baggage?

Asian News - Pope Francis "The Only Treasure that You can Bring With You To The Afterlife Is What You Have Given To Others

Vatican City (AsiaNews) - Seek "the only treasure" that you can bring with you to the "afterlife", which is "what you have given to others," because "I have never seen a removals truck behind a funeral procession, ever. " We must ask for the grace of a heart that knows how to love and do not let ourselves be led astray by "useless treasures." This was Pope Francis' focus during Mass at Casa Santa Marta, a commentary on the Gospel of Matthew in which Jesus says, "Where your treasure is, there your heart will also be."

The Pope, Vatican Radio reports, explained that the problem lies in not confusing wealth. There are "risky treasures" that threaten to seduce us, but "must be left behind," - treasures gathered in life that are destroyed by death. The Pope said, with a hint of irony: "I have never seen a moving van following a funeral procession." But there is a treasure "we can take with us," a treasure that no one can take away, - not "those things you've kept for yourself," but "those you have given to others". "The treasures we have given to others, that we take with us. And that will be our merit - in quotation marks, but it is our 'merit' of Jesus Christ in us! And that we must bring with us. And that is what the Lord lets us bring. Love, charity, service, patience, goodness, tenderness are very beautiful treasures: these we bring with us. The other things, no".

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Sounds like yet another "you best behave!" scheme by the Church. Nothing new there.

The assumption that people need god to act morally is a very flawed one. I don't need the motivation of heaven to treat others well.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I'm not religious FlyersFan but you know that,

But yeah you're 100% correct, in my experience the more love and laughter you give, the more you get in return, and when I pass on It will be with a smile on my face knowing I made a difference.

Nothing world shattering, but I put a smile on a few faces and cheered up a few people.

I still get emails from my old volunteers(Kibbutz days) thanking me for inspiring them, I was never really inspirational just showed them to look at their values and follow what they truly wish.

And the icing on the cake, so far 7 little souls named after me. The greatest honour I could ever hope for

Cody

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Vatican City (AsiaNews) -
The Pope, Vatican Radio reports, explained that the problem lies in not confusing wealth. .

It's a shame that the source has provided a slightly garbled translation here, perhaps because English is not their first language. "Confusing" is probably the wrong verb

"The problem lies in not rejecting wealth"?
"The problem lies in not distinguishing different kinds of wealth"?
"The problem lies in confusing different kinds of wealth"?
The gist is obvious enough, but the exact Italian text would clear up the ambiguity.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
Sounds like yet another "you best behave!" scheme by the Church. Nothing new there.

The assumption that people need god to act morally is a very flawed one. I don't need the motivation of heaven to treat others well.

Some people (and I'm not religious) find an inner peace and love through the church
Is that a bad thing ?

On a purely personal level would you deny them that bliss ?

I know I wouldn't, but I will always respect their search for truth.

Cody

edit on 23/6/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

The Only Treasure that You can Bring With You To The Afterlife Is What You Have Given To Others,

Because the only way to exist in an afterlife is to persist in someone's memory.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
Because the only way to exist in an afterlife is to persist in someone's memory.

I read a book that had that as it's premise. I can't remember the name of it. It centered around a scientist woman who lived in Antarctica. There was a huge epidemic on earth and she was the last person alive. The afterlife kept shrinking ... and the only ones there were the ones that she remembered. The people in the afterlife were trying to get ahold of the woman on earth. It was like a reverse of what people on earth do now .. seances and prayers etc ... but to the woman on earth rather than to people in the afterlife. It was an interesting twist ....

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I don't need the motivation of heaven to treat others well.

Glad to hear it. However, it seems that many people DO need the fear of an eternity in hell in order to keep them acting in a civilized manner towards others.

What Pope Francis said reminds me of the line from the movie Ghost. When Patrick Swayze's character was leaving to go to heaven, and he looked back at Demi Moores character and said 'the love you have inside ... you take it with you.'

Attachments to material goods .... the afterlife doesn't have material goods.
Attachments to the mundane ... food and sex and alcohol ... the afterlife doesn't have the mundane.
Attachments to ideology or political party or nationality ... the afterlife doesn't have them.
Attachments to the dark rhetoric of 'those who don't believe like we do are evil' ... or 'kill those who don't believe like us' ... or 'we are the chosen few and the others are damned or are lesser human beings' ... that hate won't be found in heaven.

Might as well give up the attachments now. Otherwise, when you die you'll be in for a shock and have some pretty strong withdrawls to go through. Perhaps that is the 'Purgatory' that the Catholics believe in. Souls going through withdrawls from their earthly attachments before they can move on to heaven. Perhaps those who don't wish to give up their attachments to their earthly treasures ... those are the ones who are in hell. It would be hell to have attachments to earthly treasures for eternity and not be able to have them.

Could be ...

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

the afterlife doesn't have material goods.

Prove it.

How do you know there is not the G-Box, like an x-box made by the angels.

Most popular games in Heaven are

Code of Heavenly Warriors - Satan Slayers
Cloud Racing
Thought Police 676654.8 - You Never win (Teaches humility)
How to be an effective Ghost

P

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was the Egyptian god Nut whom said:

1. How much joy have you had in your life? none, a little, or a lot.

2. How much joy have you caused in other people's lives? none, a little, or a lot.

Good questions before allowing someone to enter heaven.

reply to post by pheonix358

Do not forget the classic game in heaven, Halo

Oh, and another game that most likely correlate to the heaven, Unreal

edit on 23-6-2013 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

Prove it.

Awesome post.
It'll be a good conversation.
The afterlife ... humans are no longer organic. If we aren't organic, we won't have material goods.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Well Jesus said, "what you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and what you loose on earth will be loose in heaven." I take that to mean that we carry our victories and our defeat with us in the after life.

I believe in reincarnation. I think that we often reincarnate into our own earthly families. If there was worldly wealth left behind, there is a good chance that you will still reap the benefits of that wealth in the afterlife. IMHO

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by cody599

Some people (and I'm not religious) find an inner peace and love through the church
Is that a bad thing ?

On a purely personal level would you deny them that bliss ?

I know I wouldn't, but I will always respect their search for truth.

Cody

edit on 23/6/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

Oh no, I wouldn't deny them that bliss, as fake as it is. However, I can't stand to see them subject themselves to such manipulation. We don't need god to be good people.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

We don't need god to be good people.

Sometimes a persons version of God makes them be BAD people.
So you do have a good point.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Sounds like new tsa regulations rather than a description of our destination. This light travel will be fun and i will shine on to another world but first i must meet my light potential by having faith that my trip will happen and loving and helping anyone i can during this incarnation. GOD is waiting for us.All of us. We all have a diamond inside of us and we just have to shed the layers of coal.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom,
blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Well you wore out your welcome with random precision,
rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I don't need the afterlife, i'm not planning on spending my eternity with the dead rubbing my elbows with ghosts.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
self- importance
is one of the things that should be left behind!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
It's truths what can be taken along, but also the representation or expressions of that truth. This is also what can help gaining material goods while alive. It's a person who can say something positive to anyone which is so convincing no one can deny it and can only react to it in a positive manner.

Most popular games in Heaven are

Code of Heavenly Warriors - Satan Slayers
Cloud Racing
Thought Police 676654.8 - You Never win (Teaches humility)
How to be an effective Ghost
P

They also play ball but not as on earth.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Prove it.

Awesome post.
It'll be a good conversation.
The afterlife ... humans are no longer organic. If we aren't organic, we won't have material goods.

Let us start with something simple. Angels sit on clouds all day long. Are they God's clouds. Do Angels buy them or rent them. Is God the landlord of heaven. There have been wars between the Hosts of Heaven and the fallen angels. Is Heaven fortified. What are the weapons. Who makes them!

We know diddly squat about heaven. I have heard a lot about heaven having golf courses and beaches but has it?

It is up there. Is it on another planet. Some people believe it is!

Honestly, all you have to go on is some power mad, kiddy fiddling priests to tell you what heaven is like. They have no idea and BTW they also will not get through the front gates. Where do the gates come from.

Is God always there or does he take holidays. Where does he go for his holidays. How many Heralds of Angels does he take to run security.

So many questions and no answers.

P

new topics

top topics

join