It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible style books of that era?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

So, ultimately Nebuchadnezzer and Alexander the Great completed the prophecy.

God made a prophecy that Nebuchadnezzar would destroy Tyre, and another that he would destroy Egypt. Nebuchadnezzar failed to do either of those things.

So then God made a different prophecy that someone would destroy Tyre.

Right, because that's how prophecy works.

Alexander and Nebuchadnezzar also don't count as "many nations", no matter how you want to shift around those goal posts.

Here's a small history lesson for you.

Nebuchadnezzar was a king during the Old Babylonian Kingdom, ruling around 1100 BC. His attempt to sack Tyre occurred, and failed, during that reign.

The city-state of Babylon, under the auspices of Nabonidus, a Chaldean king, was then attacked by the Persian conqueror Cyrus the Great somewhere around 530 BC. Cyrus defeated Nabonidus, and Babylon was taken over by the Persians.

800 years later, around 350 AD, Alexander the Great was born, midway through his life he lead his massive military campaigns.

Nebuchadnezzar and Alexander the Great only count as contemporaries attacking Tyre as "many nations" if you discard the 1500 years which exist between the two, and the fact that one nation (Babylonia) was no longer a nation during the other's rule.

Further, if it took your God more than 1500 years to sack a city, and He had to do it through His own enemies (read that as: not the Jews), then He didn't actually do it, but is just claiming the credit for what other cultures and their gods accomplished. Your God is a glory-hog who tries to take responsibility for the work of others when it suits him, but blames them when it doesn't.

What a wonderful figure to attach yourself to.

As for the destruction of Egypt prophecy, I consider this to be another twofold prophecy. Though indeed some of the details were fulfilled, such as...

Wait. Hold up.

Some of the details? Why not all of the details?

Nebuchadnezzar was defeated in his only attempt to conquer Egypt.
Egypt has never been a "desolate waste" during it's more than 6000 year existence.
There has never been a time when people did not walk through Egypt.
The surrounding countries were never also desolate.
A forty-year period of desolation and waste never occurred in Egypt.

And, finally, the Egyptian people were never scattered. Every invading force left them in Egypt, and instead marveled at their own culture. When the Egypt finally did fall (to Muslim invasion) the Egyptians weren't scattered to other nations. They were erased as an ethnicity.

Further, Egypt does not count as the Middle East. Egypt is part of Africa, and Africa is its own subcontinent, and cultural location. The Middle East (or subcontinent of Western Asia) begins East of the desert.

Again, failed prophecy.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

Regardless of what you think, Egypt will be playing a huge roll in the times to come and during the Millennial period.

I know you don't believe it. You'll always say, "close, but no cigar" clear up until it's OVER!

Repost...

Zechariah 12:3

3 And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.

Isaiah 13:9

9 Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.

Isaiah 24:6

6 Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left.

There are many, many more that point to the tribulations coming that will start to unfold as we see everyone vying for control over Jerusalem. After these great tribulations are over and most of the earth is desolate, Jesus will return to set up his Millennial Kingdom with Jerusalem at the seat of it. There are many, many details about the Millennial Kingdom given throughout the entire Old Testament and a little in Revelation, that have yet to come.

Luke 24:44

44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

Jesus is still fulfilling prophecy in the form of the Holy Spirit until he makes himself seen again at his second coming.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seede

TextDuring the time of the bible being put together as a book (a compilation, I believe), was there a style or trend in making books this way? Does anyone know of any other books from that specific book-making time?
reply to post by jiggerj

@ jiggerj

I am no expert on this subject and I have not Google'd it yet but I learned how to make Japanese and Chinese books some years ago. Back then I was taught that the oriental people were binding literature long before other people. We used plain old hoof glue and a paper awl along with roped hemp as the binding thread. In fact my library has about fifteen of my self made books. Probably won't last as long as European books but it was a novelty for me.

I think the modern acid free papers and waxed threads of today will last longer. I am not a book binder by any means but do know the basics of how books are bound. Some of the old printers I worked with were really artists in book binding. My specialty was printing ink and duplicate plate making. All of that is a lost art now with the computer age.

Interesting! But, when I asked if there had been a trend in bookmaking back then, I meant was there a trend in combining many different stories into one book. From previous responses I'm getting the idea that, yes, this was a trend.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join