It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US destroying billions of dollars worth of their military hardware in Afghanistan!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

But you gotta know.. in time all that will have been dig up and someone is going to try to salvage some. It depends on how well you destroyed those things. A complete weapon could be put together out of parts.

Oh yeah... absolutely. Hanoi managed to salvage almost 16,000 (if memory serves) M-16A1 & A2 rifles by simply collecting parts and putting them together again. This isn't counting what they got from the ARVN after Saigon fell.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
These state of the art MRAPS represent the best protective armor money can buy. Their primary purpose is to protect personnel from (I)mprovised (E)xplosive (D)evices or IEDs. In the current strategy these mines are the only effective thing the enemy has employed against the occupation.

Leaving them lying around would only make them available for "testing" by the "enemy". That information would be round the world in a heartbeat.

This conflict was never about arming the puppet government with the best tools at hand, anyway. They must be scrapped. What else, ship them home and sell them on Ebay to us?

I doubt they will scrap all of them. That big cargo plain that crashed in Afghanistan was filled with "military vehicles". They will be needed the next place the US occupies somewhere.
edit on 23-6-2013 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

Very true. We work hard an pay for items in the military which were most likely not used, and now thrown away.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Well, like a previous user posted, 76% of the hardware will be taken back, its the busted up ones that they will be leaving. It makes perfect sense to me.
All the answers to this thread are already present, a lot of the user's point out valid points as to why we would destroy so much hardware.
Its china's problem now. Good luck guys, its a SOB I tell you....and with no asymmetric training of any kind?? or any current military training for that matter, oh boy china is going to have their ass handed to them, while they mine.....

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I'm assuming no one here has seen the move "Lord of War"?.. It talks exactly about this lol.. It costs more money to ship the weapons back then to buy new stuff. Plus this stuff mostly won't be destroyed.. Quite a possibility it will be sold to a weapons dealer who will somewhat illegally sell it to rebels to fight Americas enemies.. Now this may all be from the movie "Lord of War".. But it was based on a true story.. And it does go on.. Great movie btw for you conspiracy guys... Plus it's relevant to this.

Actually here is the guy that the movie is about. Viktor Bout
edit on 24-6-2013 by Pelvi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
. Why anyone thought we'd be different or special is beyond me. We should have learned by what the place did to the Soviets.

And the UK really should have known better as we went in there 3 times and ended up leaving with our tail between our legs.

So why a 4th time was needed I dont know!

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
The biggest loss here is not the 7 billion worth of equipment, bu the fact that the best military in the world could not defeat guys with long beards, rags, sandals.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Why does this surprise you? Watch the film 'Lord of War'. It's a straight-forward op. Anything useful to the Afghans is as useful to the Taliban.
edit on 24-6-2013 by EA006 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TritonTaranis
Heres why....

The US has alot of hardware in Afghanistan being the main ISAF contributor

And the reason why the US is dismantling rather than giving or selling it to the Afghan forces and pulling out of Afghanistan is simple

The US and other ISAF countries in Afghanistan got sold out and stabbed in the back by the Afghan Government

As you all know alot of resources have been discovered in Afghanistan over the past few years and are to be mined very soon by countrys like China & Russia and other countries that otherwise refuse to play a part in ISAF operation dealing with security, and lastly the fact most of those countrys a no friends of western countries.

The Afghanistan government give alot of contracts to China to mine nearly a trillion dollars worth of Lithium, and other resources

Why are western country going to supply the security for the massive mining operations for China to make billions and making it easy for China to mine?, it would be easier to pull out, bring our troops home, and safeguard our countries from home and let China supply the security for there massive investments and watch the Taliban take back over the country to make it very difficult to mine a single batteries worth or Lithium

Bottom line is it was a royal piss take and shortly after the Afghanistan government announced who would get the contract to mine there now safe country, ISAF announced it would PULL OUT 2014 and then Osama Bin Laden was found and killed

Nobody see that one then,

Its absolutely NOTHING to do with the US & Co not being able to fight the Taliban, the Taliban haven't engaged ISAF forces in fire fights for years unless they have been ambushed or forced back out of a village, because they simply get hammered to hard in every exchange

ISAF troops are then ordered to pull back out of those villages to which the Taliban go back in to at night and regroup, after the troops once again pull back as commanded, this is how the operation in Afghanistan has gone down for over 10 years and its no secret with ISAF troops left scratching there heads at there confusing tactics

These tactics tell you one thing, and one thing only.. that ISAF commanders are not pushing for an all out victory in Afghanistan, there simply prolonging an all out victory and playing with the Taliban for a reason, and that reason "was" to keep ISAF forces there to supply stability and protection for the mining contracts they expected to get handed to them from the government they installed

How comes nobody has wondered why the ISAF zones and Taliban controlled zones haven't changed over 12yrs because its certainly not because they couldn't capture them, its because they didn't want to, they needed a threat to exist for them to over sea the huge mining operations, because as soon as the troops pull out the Taliban with come back out of hiding and attack mining operations

But anyway

I guess that is China's job now

Its no wonder the US wants to befriend the Taliban now as they will need to supply them with arms to fight China soon

edit on 23-6-2013 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

What a fascinating post there is certainly some smoke here in my opinion. Survival of the fittest at the end of the day I guess.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I am not condoning this but it is not particularly unusual. The part of the country I live in was used as an invasion training and subsequent staging area during WW2 and a great deal of US hardware was driven into abandoned quarries that were then back filled simply because it was no longer required, or unserviceable. That was done purely from a financial motivation because there was not the added imperative of this equipment falling into the hands of those who might use it against you or your allies.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
NOOOOO! My money! That's my money they're destroying! Tax payer dollars down the wazoo. This should be a crime, and it's also called littering....

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I watched ATS cheer when the goverment talked of cutting 2 billion in food stamps .saying how bad people on food stamps are and how they dont want to be taxed for that .
And here the goverment destroys 7 billion thats is 3 and a half TIMES the amount they wanted to cut from food stamps worthg of equitment .
HU You should be so proud we stoped Iraq and the afgains why they mite have just ((hold on im thinking surly they must be some kind of threat???
But hey we can still save 2 billion be starving our own people Never mind the TRILLIONS we wasted on this .
I am so proud to be American the land of stupidy .Maybe next war they want to start you wont be so ready to cheer them on? O but kims kid is a threat and so is india and china hey russia isnt down for the count yet so little time and so many countrys and people to kill .
edit on 24-6-2013 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-6-2013 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

They aren't giving it to the Afghan national army because the cold bastards know what is about to happen when the US has the bulk of and then all forces out of the nation. Karzai's Government will fall, and nothing much will stop that. The Taliban won by attrition just like Vietnam and it'll end that way.

They aren't leaving anything they don't basically want to hand to the Taliban or have become theirs within 6-9 months of our being gone. Makes sense to me on that point.

Afghanistan is where Empires go to die. It's how the place was described before the U.S. laid eyes on it. It's how it'll be described going forward. Why anyone thought we'd be different or special is beyond me. We should have learned by what the place did to the Soviets.

This has been the plan since I was in the military in 2001. When we leave a country like Afghanistan or Iraq, it is a logistical nightmare and financially counterproductive to try and ship all of this equipment back to the states in various stages of disrepair.

We don't want them to have it but it is too expensive to ship back to the US.

Does anyone else have a better option?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DoubleDNH

Dont go to these places in the first place!

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok

. Why anyone thought we'd be different or special is beyond me. We should have learned by what the place did to the Soviets.

And the UK really should have known better as we went in there 3 times and ended up leaving with our tail between our legs.

So why a 4th time was needed I dont know!

No kidding, huh? Give it another 50-60 years and they'll all meet up for another try and fail at it. I think it's come so that we can pretty much count on the effort.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Accept our democracy, but not our equipment.

Lovely message to send as you pull out im sure

Also 'cheaper' to destroy 20% of it than to bring it home? really? Begs the question: why send so much over in the first place?

Classic America though isnt it, Drive fast, buy new and when its time to go just dump your waste and burn it and blacken the skys with the very oil that was stolen.

Whos next?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Accept our democracy, but not our equipment.

I don't think America even cares about "democracy" or even the Karzai government for that matter, or they would have entrusted him with the equipment. Instead they are looking to hold peace talks with the Taliban and approving their new office in Qatar.

It feels like they know the Taliban would take over even IF the Afghan army had all that equipment... and I guess someone figured that if the equipment didn't help the US wipe out the Taliban... then Afghanistan's fledgling army doesn't stand a chance.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Given how often attackers and terrorists are wearing the uniform of the ANA and sometimes, even have the right to wear it? I'd say they have a real good point. Our error was in ever going there. Trusting those now in power and control would simply be doubling down on stupid. I'm glad to see at least one area isn't run through a bad position just for P.R. points.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by bartholomeo
The biggest loss here is not the 7 billion worth of equipment, bu the fact that the best military in the world could not defeat guys with long beards, rags, sandals.

Toe to Toe we beat them every time.

The problem is defeating an ideology with military might.
Such a thing has never succeeded.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok

Originally posted by DoubleDNH

Dont go to these places in the first place!

Okay, does anyone have a useable option which would be better? Stating things that cannot happen is quite useless.

new topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join