It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ruger 9mm from Maine used by (Marathon) bombing suspects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I wonder how they were able to still identify the weapon when the serial number was "obliterated"? Are there secret identifiers being built into guns now that the public is not privy too?

Sources tell Team 5 Investigates’ Kathy Curran the gun in question was a Ruger 9MM and it came from Maine. Team 5 Investigates has learned even though the serial number on the gun was obliterated, investigators were able to identify it.

Source WCVB TV

In the article (and accompanying video) I was shocked, in a good way, at this statement from the former acting director of the ATF, Mike Sullivan:

“It doesn’t surprise me that a criminal can get access to a firearm no matter how many laws we have in place at the federal or state level,”

edit on 22-6-2013 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krakatoa
I wonder how they were able to still identify the weapon when the serial number was "obliterated"? Are there secret identifiers being built into guns now that the public is not privy too?

As I recall, the process of putting the serial number on a gun changes the metal which is under it, molecularly, and that techniques exist to see that molecular change, so even "filing off" the serial numbers doesn't mean that the gun can't be identified.

ETA: Here you go:

Serial number restorations can be attempted because when a serial number is stamped into a piece of metal, the molecular structure of the metal changes forever. Even if the surface is ground away or filed down, the structure of the metal molecules that remain may have a “memory” of the original stamp. By applying different restoration methods, including acid etching and magnetic techniques, the original stamp can often times be at least partially restored. (Source)

edit on 22-6-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Thanks! I wasn't aware of that possibility. I learned something new today, YES!

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Actually Ruger uses lasers to engrave the serial numbers into their firearms. It is quite deep and as said it does change the metal in and around the marking area. It is also very, very difficult to fully remove or destroy the mark without causing a weakening of the integrity of the metal on the firearm if you try to do so.
Don't ask me how I know...just say....I have a very good knowledge of the process.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
but yes...all in all, a criminal with intent can and will obtain a firearm....laws, bans and all...........
edit on 22-6-2013 by bw_drum because: spelling

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Did you read the part where it said "when he ran out of ammunition he threw the gun at them".

Every criminal does that, especially the smart ones.
Yes, Ruger does laser engrave the serial numbers and their frames are all alloys.
The old method was to use a roll stamp that changed the number every strike.
It would harden the metal under the letters by compressing it.
Etch away some of the metal and you end up with a negative image of the numbers.
I worked at a custom gun shop and more than once serial numbers would get polished off or taken out by acid.
It was a riot watching the managers freak out about it. (ATF ya know)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
to the OP,whats the point of pointing this out?
Does it really matter?
edit on 22-6-2013 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
to the OP,whats the point of pointing this out?
Does it really matter?
edit on 22-6-2013 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

A: Its continuing news on this event, for those that wish to follow it
B: Hearing a former ATF big-wig actually state that strengthening laws on gun control essentially has no effect on criminal behavior

If you don;t care to hear news on this topic why are you posting here then? For you, perhaps there's nothing to see here, so please move along, or add something substantial or relevant to the topic.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Ruger test fires the gun creating a ballistic fingerprint...

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmikeS
Ruger test fires the gun creating a ballistic fingerprint...

Another interesting tidbit I was unaware of regarding firearm identification. Thanks. I wonder, would an image taken through a polarization filter also provide a unique signature to each firearm too? Or, would the stresses imparted from use in effect change the polarization properties?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Ruger sr9c (compact) if you eject the mag with a rnd in the chamber the weapon will not fire(FAIL), the safety on the trigger was added after a recall , because the weapon was firing doubles. The sr9 that found me came with a spent shell in a plastic bag with a red painted primer, the test fire round. Curious , have they traced the dealer that sold this weapon.

edit on 29-6-2013 by SmikeS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

its why every new ruger fire arm comes with a spent shell casing. now if it goes into a database that is not rugers is up for debate and i have yet to see it confirmed,ruger claims it is for testing purposes but i think some local laws require it to sell fire arms in their states so who knows. i know my mark 3 came with a fired shell casing and the above is what i was told as to the what and why of it if that makes sense

top topics

join