It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stonehenge...Temple of Apollo?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
According to the ancient Greeks a sacred precinct to Apollo, generally understood as relating to Stonehenge, was to be found on the island of the Hyperboreans, Britain.

en.wikipedia.org...

I want to look at the background as to why they should state such, and the greater connotations. Quotes regarding Hyperbora and Apollo generally sourced from here;

Land Hyperbora

Moreover, the following legend is told concerning it: Leto was born on this island, and for that reason Apollon is honoured among them above all other gods; and the inhabitants are looked upon as priests of Apollon, after a manner, since daily they praise this god continuously in song and honour him exceedingly. And there is also on the island both a magnificent sacred precinct of Apollon and a notable temple which is adorned with many votive offerings and is spherical in shape.... the god visits the island every 19 years, the period in which the return of the stars [astron] to the same place in the heavens is accomplished; and for this reason the 19-year period is called by the Greeks the year of Meton (Diodorus Siculus, II).

The Mother of Apollo and Artemis, Leto, was understood as having been from Hyperbora, the suggestion that Stonehenge was sacred to Apollo because of proposed functionality with regards to the Metonic cycle, also should really take into account that as the cycle involved a periodic balance between solar and lunar cycles, then Stonehenge would also have been sacred to Artemis, in her lunar representation..

The cycle says that if there is a full moon on 21 June, the moon again will be full on 21 June 19 years later, but at a different position on the horizon. If the full moon starts over the Heelstone, for example, it will slowly slip away each 19 year interval. On the other hand, if you count 19, 18 and 19 years (a total of 56), it will stay completely on the stone throughout many cycles. It would seem that the architects of Stonehenge had knowledge of both: there are 19 stones in the bluestone horseshoe and there are 56 holes in the Aubrey circle.

It is not the return of ‘stars’ alone to the same place in the heavens that is marked by the horizon alignments at Stonehenge, but rather of the luminous bodies (astron, άστρον), that is sun, moon and stars. We interpret Diodorus’ words to mean that Stonehenge records the turning points of the midsummer sun and midwinter moon with the seasonal zodiac stars, when all these luminous bodies return to the same place in the Year of the High Moon every 19+18+19 years.

New Light on Stonehenge from Ancient Greece

Leto herself was understood as related to the Metonic cycle, her two children then breaking this down into Masculine/Feminine Solar/Lunar aspects.

On Delos, one story told how the pregnant goddess Leto travelled south to the island from Hyperborea, accompanied by wolves, where she gave birth to the god Apollon. Artemis-Eileithyia was summoned from the northern realm to assist with the labour

Early myths of Leto, in her Roman persona as Latona, link her to a nineteen year Solar eclipse cycle and ancient wisdom religion. In each cycle there are 235 lunations

As seen Apollo was seen as having been born on the brilliant white island of Delos, however in many ways this obscures and contradicts essential aspects of his cult, as Apollo was representative of a dynamic metaphysical progression from absolute darkness and inertia, through to the light and swiftness of thought and movement.

The true origin of Hyperborean Apollo was located in the Celestial North, understood as the cavernous underworld polarity of the Heavens, a habitation of wolves, bears and serpents, from this darkness he transcends to the light of the Sun in the Southern skies.

This makes the case for his formative cultic state having arisen in the extremeties of Hyperborean climes, and the true brilliance of his cult having been realised in the sun drenched regions of classical Greece.

The Hyperborean Apollo would then have been somewhat differant to that of the Greeks;

Yet was it with these that Perseus the warrior chief once feasted, entering their homes, and chanced upon their sacrifices unto the god, those famous offerings of hecatombs of asses; for in their banquets and rich praise Apollon greatly delights, and laughs to see the rampant lewdness of those brutish beasts.

.Of course it is also unlikely he would have been called Apollo, but from Celtic times there are at least 15 Deities which were accepted by the Celts as relating to Apollo, such as Bel the Sun God, or Maponus, the Divine Son.

From the Neolithic period evidence is scant for anything relating to worshipped Divinities, but an interest in a Deity whose origins were understood as the Celestial North might perhaps go a long way to explaining the establishment of seemingly sacred communities at remote Northern extremeties of the British Isles, and the stone circles associated with such.

Again with the cult of Artemis one reads of the inter-connectivity of the Hyperboreans and Greeks with regards to her cult;

Delians relate that two virgins, Arge and Opis, came from the Hyperboreans by way of the aforesaid peoples to Delos earlier than Hyperokhe and Laodike; these latter came to bring to Eileithyia [i.e. Artemis] the tribute which they had agreed to pay for easing child-bearing

From the Celtic period there are various Goddess' that can be found associated with Artemis, such as Arduina and Arianhod, but little trace of anything pre-Roman survives.

One can consider that the reindeer was sacred to Artemis, as was also Amber, both with regards to distant Northern climes

Heracles sought the golden-antlered hind of Artemis in Hyperborea. As the reindeer is the only deer species of which females bear antlers, this would suggest an arctic or subarctic region

The winged Boreades pursued the Harpyiai around the world Round about all these [the Boreades] sped in darting flight . of the well-horsed Hyperboreans--whom Gaia the all-nourishing bare far off by the tumbling streams of deep-flowing Eridanos . of amber, feeding her wide-scattered offspring.

Amber was also understood as sacred to Apollo;

And all around the maidens, the daughters of Helios, enclosed in tall poplars, wretchedly wail a piteous plaint; and from their eyes they shed on the ground bright drops of amber

But the Keltoi have attached this story to them, that these are the tears of Leto's son, Apollon, that are borne along by the eddies, the countless tears that he shed aforetime when he came to the sacred race of the Hyperboreans

In recent times it has been realised that the mysterious swellings seen on the famous statue copy of Artemis of Ephesus were in fact pendant amber hangings;

Amber Pendants of Artemis

Thus Northern Amber was sacred to both Apollo and Artemis, the tears shed upon leaving the Heavens in the Hyperborean lands.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Kantzveldt

Correct me if I am wrong but the Megalith structure known as Stonehenge is on the order of 1,000 of years older than the Greeks correct? And Hyperborea (The land of the Boreas Land of wind and light) was supposed to be the origin of the a mystical people of the Sun or where the sun always shines.

Are you suggesting that Apollo and Artemis where gods of this land of England or further north? Before they were Gods in the Greek pantheon? I have heard this suggested.

I know you don't like Bjork, but Iceland is the home of the Hyperboreans as to me the writings place it further North, because the sun would set and rise for one year (exaggerated from 6 months).

Did they then instead spread East and South??? Interesting in either supposition of England or Iceland and than traveling south to Greece.

The drops of Amber fit in with a few things...one honey(oh yeah I pay attention), two captured sunlight which was imported to the Greeks and substantiating the myth. Perhaps the queen (Artemis) as royalty would have been always wearing them?

A Royal Gown made of drops of sunlight is much more believable than a many breasted Goddess...

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Certainly Stonehenge is far older than Classical Greek texts, which vary in their locating of Hyperborea and the aspects of it, until generally settling on the British Isles, obviously in the earlier periods they were little informed, Iceland cannot be a possibility as it was not settled then by Northern Europeans..

I think the suppositions were based on legends and tales, rather than being entirely mythical, it was a question of interpretation, but from the earliest time there does seem to have been connection made between Leto Apollo/Artemis and Hyperborea, not only in the metaphysical/mythological sense but involving interaction with those who worshipped the same Deities.

The evidence from Britain does indicate the Metonic cycle was understood and incorporated into cultic sites during the Neolithic period, and that would involve the development of religious practise which sought to reconcile the Sun and moon in balance.

The Deities at this period would be formative aspects of what they later developed into in classical Greece, involving shamanic elements were the aspects of serpent, bear, wolf, deer were much more important than abstract intellectual myth making and mere epitaphs.

It would have arrived in Greece through transmission within the greater body of the Celtic tribes, primarily into the Lycian region. In her most highly developed form Artemis is a veritable Celestial Queen, as indicated by the zodiac seen on the Ephesia statue, and it's this aspect which is most intriguing with regards to British tutelary Goddeses from the Romano-Celtic period, were Brigid/Brigette is the literal High Goddess of Heaven, Victorix, generally associated with Minerva, but equally possible as the Celestial Artemis.

The local tribe were i live were named after her, the Brigantes, as well as a local cult of Apollo-Maponus, in effect the old aspects in new form.

Amber seems to have been important in both the cult of Apollo and Artemis, associate with the Heavenly tears in leaving the Heavens, the Sun, and it's being carried through rivers and on tides, it washes up in North East England as well as being found in the Baltic, which is named after the Sun God Bel, as in Bel-Tigh[Lord]

The name Apollo does not source to the Greek language, suggested derivations vary, but in Gaelic Ai-Polair would mean the High Searcher or wanderer, this with regards to Celestial North and the current Pole Star Polaris.

Leto's primal nature may be deduced from the natures of her father and mother, who may have been Titans of the sun and moon. Her Titan father is called "Coeus," is in one Roman source given the name Polus,[which may relate him to the sphere of heaven from pole to pole The name of Leto's mother, "Phoebe" (Φοίβη — literally "pure, bright"), is identical to the epithet of her son Apollo

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 19-6-2013 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

Correct me if I am wrong but the Megalith structure known as Stonehenge is on the order of 1,000 of years older than the Greeks correct? And Hyperborea (The land of the Boreas Land of wind and light) was supposed to be the origin of the a mystical people of the Sun or where the sun always shines.

Are you suggesting that Apollo and Artemis where gods of this land of England or further north? Before they were Gods in the Greek pantheon? I have heard this suggested.

I know you don't like Bjork, but Iceland is the home of the Hyperboreans as to me the writings place it further North, because the sun would set and rise for one year (exaggerated from 6 months).

Did they then instead spread East and South??? Interesting in either supposition of England or Iceland and than traveling south to Greece.

The drops of Amber fit in with a few things...one honey(oh yeah I pay attention), two captured sunlight which was imported to the Greeks and substantiating the myth. Perhaps the queen (Artemis) as royalty would have been always wearing them?

A Royal Gown made of drops of sunlight is much more believable than a many breasted Goddess...

As just an appreciative reader of this thread I have to say
I think it's awesome Abeverage knows Kantzveldt doesn't like Bjork.

And y'alls conversation about this is by far the most interesting.
Very provocative ideas.
edit on 19-6-2013 by sealing because: Grammar

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

As just an appreciative reader of this thread I have to say
I think it's awesome Abeverage knows Kantzveldt doesn't like Bjork.

And y'alls conversation about this is by far the most interesting.
Very provocative ideas.
edit on 19-6-2013 by sealing because: Grammar

Thank you for my part. Greek mythology is a hobby(among far to many) of mine. But I am here as always to be schooled by Kantzveldt. I wouldn't put to much into me knowing anything about music tastes Kantzveldt as I doubt it would be addressed unless it has significance to the thread.

And eventually I will get to writing a thread about that same Cult paradigm and symbolism (Apollo & Artemis) that is still in use today at least from my perspective.
edit on 19-6-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kantzveldt
Certainly Stonehenge is far older than Classical Greek texts, which vary in their locating of Hyperborea and the aspects of it, until generally settling on the British Isles, obviously in the earlier periods they were little informed, Iceland cannot be a possibility as it was not settled then by Northern Europeans..

I think Thule (and by default Hyperborea) was Iceland or at least Norway and Possibly Greenland. Pytheas while having made it to Great Britian and possibly circumnavigating it he also described the land of midnight sun and Hyperboreans as being further north past the British Isles. It is doubtful he would exaggerate this? Although it gets dark (and gloomy sorry couldn't resist) there it is hardly a Midnight sun range.

I think the suppositions were based on legends and tales, rather than being entirely mythical, it was a question of interpretation, but from the earliest time there does seem to have been connection made between Leto Apollo/Artemis and Hyperborea, not only in the metaphysical/mythological sense but involving interaction with those who worshipped the same Deities.

It is my opinion Leto and his heirs the twins Apollo and Artemis were the royal family of Thule/Hyperborea which was civilization matching or even co-existing with Atlantis. One that also had to flee it's homeland after the great flood (rising waters). And that it is possible they gave rise to the Norse and the Celts and Geats and then the Germans.

The evidence from Britain does indicate the Metonic cycle was understood and incorporated into cultic sites during the Neolithic period, and that would involve the development of religious practise which sought to reconcile the Sun and moon in balance.

Would this be the druids? And would they have then passed this knowledge to the Greeks?

The Deities at this period would be formative aspects of what they later developed into in classical Greece, involving shamanic elements were the aspects of serpent, bear, wolf, deer were much more important than abstract intellectual myth making and mere epitaphs.

I see where you are going with this...bravo! But again...Further north The Norse Beowulf means Bee Wolf or hunter of Bees...

Amber seems to have been important in both the cult of Apollo and Artemis, associate with the Heavenly tears in leaving the Heavens, the Sun, and it's being carried through rivers and on tides, it washes up in North East England as well as being found in the Baltic, which is named after the Sun God Bel, as in Bel-Tigh[Lord]

Again as you made me aware I think the amber has more to do with a representation of the Bee Queen and Honey. The Hyperboreans were extremely long lived and sparked the legends among the Merovingian that honey was the key to imortality. And to the Celts the bee represents secret wisdom from the otherworld...

The name Apollo does not source to the Greek language, suggested derivations vary, but in Gaelic Ai-Polair would mean the High Searcher or wanderer, this with regards to Celestial North and the current Pole Star Polaris.

It was interesting for me to learn the history of the name for Apollo is uncertain but with the reference to Polaris again I think this places the origin even higher north...

Now I suppose I need to come up with some evidence proving this other than I used to have reoccurring dreams of a sun that would come out at Midnight.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

What I'm taking from this is:

If some person who would be considered "Barbarian" by the Ancient Greeks and Romans, had some affiliation to Artemis, then that is not borrowing from the Greeks, but rather arises from the person's own "Barbarian" heritage.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
S&F for the research. I read a lot about the God Apollo. I still learned a few things from your thread though. It is speculated that Apollo and Artemus were snowbirds, traveling to the north for half the year. Apollo seems to be one of the gods that I feel was actually a real person. I had read that he may have originally come from Britain somewhere originally. The name Apollo seems to be the same for many groups of people. Greeks, Romans, even the early Christians..as Apollyon the destroyer. For more of a minor god he sure seems to have made an impression on many cultures.

It is possible that Apollo did originate from Europe. It is possible that a lot of the gods actually did not originate in the areas that we presently think they did. Some researchers hint towards this but will not challenge the system, it would be professional suicide.

Lots of our words are from ancient words so are related. The area Hyperboria....Hyper means constantly active and Boria for the borialis or auroraborialis. It could have been almost any of the areas of Northern Europe.
edit on 19-6-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
S&F for the research. I read a lot about the God Apollo. I still learned a few things from your thread though. It is speculated that Apollo and Artemus were snowbirds, traveling to the north for half the year. Apollo seems to be one of the gods that I feel was actually a real person. I had read that he may have originally come from Britain somewhere originally. The name Apollo seems to be the same for many groups of people. Greeks, Romans, even the early Christians..as Apollyon the destroyer. For more of a minor god he sure seems to have made an impression on many cultures.

I think that most myths and even the Pantheon its self is based upon real beings, human or more than human. As in Theosophy we devolve the further we move from the origin of humanity. The Christians linked it because Apollo was knows as the light and bearer of knowledge so of course that must be evil...

Knowledge is bad! Apollo becomes Abaddon by proxy to undeify him and Artemis by association.
edit on 19-6-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
repl'y to post by Kantzveldt

You cant just say Hyperborea was Britain.

However, check this out: www.troy-in-england.co.uk...

Edit: my point being if Troy was England, then Greeks and Italians probably shared the beliefs of the original inhabitants of that horrible place.
edit on 20-6-2013 by raifordko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

The Greeks were highly speculative, being aware of Northern lands, the nature and physical qualities of the peoples that inhabited them, the extremities of night and day that became apparent the further North one travelled, they were always going to be prone to conjecture to the extent of Ultima Thule...but the sacred settlements in the Orkneys were pretty much in the land of the Midnight sun or eternal night.

It was always the case that the further North then the more Hyperborean it would be, as the basis was Celestial North.

Statius, Thebaid 12. 650 ff :

"As when Jupiter [Zeus] plants his cloudy footsteps upon the Hyperborean pole and makes the stars tremble at the oncoming of winter, Aeolia [the island home of the winds] is riven, and the storm, indignant at its long idleness, takes heart, and the North whistles with the hurricane; then roar the mountains and the waves, clouds battle in the blind gloom, and thunders and crazed lightnings revel."

www.theoi.com...

Amber of course does have comparison with the way honey was perceived, and Artemis is the very Queen Bee of all pro-creation.

The Hyperboraens as a people established by Apollo and Artemis did inherit the nature of the Titans immortal aspects of nature, and thus were seen as very tall, fair, and immortal, and could only themselves choose when to move on to the Celestial realms, by taking the Leucadian leap...in mythological terms.

The Druids would have been the inheritors of these traditions within Celtic culture.

And that's all i'm saying because that's all i know.

reply to post by pthena

Absolutely, the cult of Artemis and Apollo developed over millenia before the time of the classical Greeks, they just gave it a good polish...

reply to post by rickymouse

There were always migratory elements to the cult, particularly with regards to swans, spend summer in one place and winter in another, transition between North and South in the case of Apollo, East and West in the case of Artemis.

Apollyon, the Angel of the bottomless pit in the Bible, is Apollo at his darkest extremity, Celestial North, the base of the cosmic axis.

At Delphi the oracle of Apollo was a Priestess that would inhale the vapours that arose from deep within the Earth, so it was an aspect of the cult, that which arises from the depths and darkness, but which is made manifest and transformed into light as represented by the Sun at its highest point.

Apollo is a study in light and shadow, poised between inactivity in the shadows and sudden transformation into rapid movement and dazzling light, as the epitaph 'Hecatebolos', hurler of sudden death, suggests

reply to post by sealing

I just mentioned somewhere to him she could be a little to 'wishy washy' for me, hey but that doesn't mean i don't like her!
edit on 20-6-2013 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

An interesting theory, however, i would like to ask where you see the people of Orkney fit into this?

The reason i ask is that because of the recent discovery at the Ness of Brogdar, it has been brought forward by quite a few leading professors that the ancients who built the temple complex in Orkney many hundreds of years before Stonehenge existed, took their knowledge south and built actually Stonehenge.

If anywhere was to be a temple for Apollo, i would say the Ness of Brogdar site was it. The largest ever discovered stone age temple complex in Europe that could possibly re-write European stone age archeology. North of the Cairngorm Mountains with a mild temperature but in the cold North Wind. Where the sun barely sets in the summer!

See my thread on it below!

My Thread

edit on 20/6/13 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

edit on 20/6/13 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

What i've proposed does suggest a basis for development and transmission of a Cult that sought to find balance between the Sun and the Moon, Masculine and Feminine Divine archetypes, from the most Northerly of extremities.

Thus i'm more than happy to consider the Orkney's as seeing earlier developments of this than Stonehenge, though i think it far more likely that would be the sacred circular precinct that the Greeks were describing.

The further South this cult progressed then the more refined and developed it became, but it's origin lay in Northern shamanic mysteries.

Ring of Brodgar looking North...

edit on 20-6-2013 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Hey there Kantzveldt,

You might find this of interest

www.sacred-texts.com...

Although I appreciate your threads and research , I feel that this one is a little off the mark, with all due respect.
The focus on the areas of the henges predate any "Greek culture " by thousands of y ofears.
Honestly, my own personal research leads me to believe that the original impetuous for the building of the henges
was to track the arrival of the annual episode of the taurid meteor showers..
Which has rained destruction upon the earth for thousands of years.
I only came by this idea by reading an unsubstantiated transliteration of the book of Enoch,
There was a passage that states that Enoch travels to the far north to the great stone ring where the priests kept track of the arrival of the fiery sky serpents.
The parallels are intriguing, and in the light of the fact that that what has been labeled as Mycenean is in fact Minoan. And those enigmatic carvvings at stone henge of dagges , are in fact representations of said meteor stormd
edit on 20-6-2013 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Ancient greeks were talking about the ''ΚΑΘΟΔΟΣ ΤΩΝ ΔΩΡΙΕΩΝ'' Irodotos (Ηρόδοτο (Ι, 56)) In this story Irodotos talking about the come back of irakleidon (Ηρακλειδών) who where ''greeks'' that have gone to the north europe, come back ( after a big period) to Greece and fight with the Mycenaeans who had established there since at least 1750bc. I have also read, that stonehead was considered by ancients as the temple of Apolon, and that makes sense if we consider that Apolon was sympolized by the sun and(or) moon (the bringer of light =lucifer), and the carefull alignments of stonehead with those celestial objects.
Actually the deity Apolon have many, many sympolisms, names, aspects according to the various cultures that worshiped Him.
I try to study and understand ancient Greek religion (eleysinian mysteries, kaveirous, ''shamanistic'' rituals etc) but most information have been destroyed and lost forever (from 350ad and on) due to the early christians and their hate to all ''pagan'' religions.
They destroyed temples , statues , books and everything that had to do with ancient religion, philosophy, astronomy , mathematics, etc because they though that was the work of satan...

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

The problem with those who have tried to suggest that Enoch was describing a henge in his Book of Luminaries is that he was basing his descriptions on Near Eastern cosmological models which date back to the time of the Sumerians and Elamites.

The portals he describes are located at the extremities of the horizon, not only Heavenly bodies were understood to pass through them but the winds and all aspects of weather, the model would also be set square.

All of the 'revelations' in Enoch regarding the nature of the Heavens and it's portals,luminaries and cycles are derivative of Babylonia.

www.sacred-texts.com...

One doesn't need a henge to mark the seasons, an instrument far smaller will suffice, but of course they were constructed for festivals of gathering and religious practise, and i seriously doubt a meteor shower would inspire them to such effort and long standing practise.

reply to post by Dr1Akula

I'd generally consider the Cult of Apollo to have been the greatest single influence on early Christianity, certainly in early Christian art Christ is represented in terms of context and style in the same manner as Apollo, and could transcend and claim authority over the axis of the deepest Underworld to the Highest Heavens, in his harrowing of Hell.
edit on 21-6-2013 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Interesting link which connects with op's theory

Source:www.bbc.co.uk...
The boy was buried with around 90 amber beads
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
Second henge found at Stonehenge
How significant is the 'new henge'?
Stonehenge 'older than believed'

Chemical tests on teeth from an ancient burial near Stonehenge indicate that the person in the grave grew up around the Mediterranean Sea.

The bones belong to a teenager who died 3,550 years ago and was buried with a distinctive amber necklace.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
The position of his burial, the fact he's near Stonehenge, and the necklace all suggest he's of significant status”
End Quote
Professor Jane Evans

British Geological Survey

The conclusions come from analysis of different forms of the elements oxygen and strontium in his tooth enamel.

Analysis on a previous skeleton found near Stonehenge showed that that person was also a migrant to the area

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

Although I appreciate your threads

Speaking of thread, something about your post struck a memory:
Compare:

was to track the arrival of the annual episode of the taurid meteor showers..
Which has rained destruction upon the earth for thousands of years.
I only came by this idea by reading an unsubstantiated transliteration of the book of Enoch,
There was a passage that states that Enoch travels to the far north to the great stone ring where the priests kept track of the arrival of the fiery sky serpents.
The parallels are intriguing,

with

One of the main threats to Pernese civilization in the series is Thread, which is described as a mycorrhizoid spore that periodically rains down on the planet due to the orbit of the Red Star. The Red Star is set out to be a rogue planet in the Rukbat system. The Red Star, characterized as a "Sedna-class inner Oort cloud object", has a 250 Turn (or Pernese year) elliptic orbit around its sun. Thread can reach the planet Pern for about 50 Turns while the Red Star is at perihelion. Thread is described in this series as an agent that consumes organic material at a voracious rate, including crops, animals, and any humans in its path.
The Pernese use intelligent firebreathing dragons and their riders to fight Thread.
Dragonriders of Pern

I can't specifically name the last of McCaffrey's books that I read but I seem to remember that the plot involved the people having forgotten the purpose of the dragons over a long period of time, therefore the protagonists were burdened with the chore of "rebuilding from scratch, the old system, in the face of impending doom".

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

In science they claim to know exactly how and when Stonehenge was built, and by whom it was built.

We know there are megalithic monuments all over the world, Stonehenge is in the top 5 and is widely known. I usually don't believe in mainstream science because people who discover the truth do not like to tell society, they like to hold it for a while and then release it when new things are learned, maybe to always stay ahead.

So just looking at the structures, trying to make sense, the first thing I notice is that the formation has in common with Gobekli Tepe, in that it being a circle. Then I heard the information I needed from a researcher. First, we have no records because tradition was only oral in that area during that time, but tradition says that this was the remnant of a lost civilization.

So it really takes some patience and thought, but the truth is out there and I am happy now that Stonehenge is solved.

* Divers have found traces of ancient land swallowed by waves 8500 years ago
* Doggerland once stretched from Scotland to Denmark
* Rivers seen underwater by seismic scans
* Britain was not an island - and area under North Sea was roamed by mammoths and other giant animals
* Described as the 'real heartland' of Europe
* Had population of tens of thousands - but devastated by sea level rises

'Britain's Atlantis' - a hidden underwater world swallowed by the North Sea - has been discovered by divers working with science teams from the University of St Andrews.
Doggerland, a huge area of dry land that stretched from Scotland to Denmark was slowly submerged by water between 18,000 BC and 5,500 BC.
Divers from oil companies have found remains of a 'drowned world' with a population of tens of thousands - which might once have been the 'real heartland' of Europe.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

We are talking about a worldwide lost civilization that probably goes back before 20,000 years ago, and the possibility that mars was populated by ancestors of this civilization millions of years ago. The only question that remains is how they moved large stones because it most likely wasn't cranes.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

Would this be the druids? And would they have then passed this knowledge to the Greeks?

Except the Druids had nothing to do with the megalithic structures.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join