It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Improving schools is now a racist act?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
If a school fails, regardless of the reasons, shouldnt I have the right to send my kid to a better school? What does the desire to send my kid to a better school have to do with racism? Nothing. If a school is bad, Id try to get my kid elsewhere, regardless of what "race" the majority in that school is.

I shouldnt have to accept low-standards just because everyone else accepts them.
edit on 19-6-2013 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
First I want to tell you and everybody else something about us humans.

There is no such thing as different human races.

I say that because all people on the world living today, are all member of the same species.
The Genetic diversity between any two individuals, will not have more variety of genetic material, then you have with any other human on Earth.
Two Gorillas born and living on the same mountain, will have more diversity then us
But there is new evidence discovered. The human genome has been identified and traced back to the earliest hominid. It shows that there have existed different sub species of hominid ( Like Neanderthal, Homo Erectus, Devonan etc ) , but as they emerged from one species of man, they also reunited as one species, us.
All sub genetic variety that is identified to come from a specific sub species, has been found in our genes, and every variety of combinations of them all are too...

I will link you to the information I gathered.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I posted it in a reply in another members thread, That is why I posted it like I did. The original info I posted, was in a thread I created a while ago about Neanderthal and human similarities.

Second :
I think it's really disturbing these things still happen, and I hope it will end as soon it's possible.
I do think this is something the US gov. should create a educational standard. Discrimination of fellow Americans is not what you need, as a nation, and should also not be allowed and restricted by regulation.

This is also what I think of any apartheid signs towards other foreign people.

edit on 6/19/2013 by Sinter Klaas because: Add, a sentence I forgot about.

edit on 6/19/2013 by Sinter Klaas because: Add a reply about my thoughts on topic.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
In a general reply to the problems with parents:

My son just graduated from high school last year. Thank God I didn't have to seriously hurt any principals.

I took both kids to school the first day of every school year until they no longer wanted me to. I was there at every awards day, every school event, despite driving a truck OTR at the time. I threatened to quit several jobs if I didn't get to the event on time, to the point of handing keys to my dispatcher. I met with every teacher at one time or another. I did everything I could to make sure my kids knew how important school was, not by words, but by actions.

It worked: my daughter graduated college with an AS in Psychology Suma Cum Laude at age 19. My son went into a trade, CNC Lathe Machinist/Programmer, and placed second in the nation his last year of competition and first in the state two years running. He is now in college with full scholarships pursuing a Mechanical Engineering degree while working in the field he was trained for.

But to do all this, I had to put up with the most ridiculous BS I have ever seen. Walk into a school today, and you the parent are treated like some sort of mad bomber after establishing who you are. Bulletproof glass, accusatory tones, and a total inability to talk to anyone. One day my son was driving to school and his truck broke down. He called me, and i drove out in the car... sure enough, the thing had overheated and wasn't going anywhere for a half-hour. I tossed him the keys and told him to get to school and I would follow in the truck. I got to school a little while later, with the truck running right now, and went inside to give him the keys and get mine. Three separate people had to vet my story; they had to inspect the keys, they wanted exact details on where the truck broke down, what car was mine, etc. Finally in desperation, I just looked one in the eye and growled, "Get my boy out here." They looked him up, he walked into the office, I grabbed his keys off the desk (to the surprise of the guy who was keeping them "safe") and tossed them to him, he tossed me mine, I told him where I parked, and I left.

If you want parents to get involved and be a part of the process, you have to allow parents to get involved and be part of the process.

When the kids were younger, I always told them what my Dad used to tell me: get a spanking at school and there's a worse one waiting on you at home. Then one day my son comes home scared to death, telling me he got a spanking. As I pulled off the belt to reinforce my rule, he cries out, "but you told me to defend myself if someone hit me!" I stopped and asked what happened. Apparently (and this was verified by school personnel) he was attacked in the bathroom by two known bullies who decided his head needed to be in the toilet. In the scuffle, my son elbowed the main bully in the chest and the bully started crying. His sidekick went and told the teacher my son was fighting. My son got a spanking, the bully got nothing because their parents didn't believe in corporal punishment.

My son didn't get a spanking at home. He got praised for defending himself. He also got to watch me go off on a principal the next day at school, to the point of explaining that I was not above spanking her butt up and down the school halls in front of God and everybody if she ever unjustly laid a hand on my boy again.

Now everyone knows why I am thanking God they are out of school.

There are bad parents. But the good parents are now being treated like bad parents, so most will simply give up. All that's left is a school staff who have absolutely no parental backup, and that's a recipe for disaster. That all goes back to regulation and restriction... political correctness, trying to make sure no child gets their feelings hurt, thinking everyone who walks in is a bad parent just there to cause trouble, and the complete inability of some faculty members (not all, just enough to matter) to even comprehend right and wrong.

We don't need more money; we don't need more laws; we don't need more teachers. We need common sense and a desire to teach. And the Feds just don't have either of those traits in abundance.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Thank you!

There has been such a response to this thread that I can't really respond to everyone like I'd like to, but I had to respond to this. You are exactly right. We have to understand that skin color, eye shape, etc. are not important. People are people, but we have some people who want people to hate each other because it keeps them important.

I judge others by character and achievements, not by silly visual cues. I don't care if they look like me or not; I care if they are honest, reliable, intuitive, innovative, creative, or compassionate. Those are the things that matter.

Racism exists in America... it exists in the cries of racists screaming how others are racist, and in the belief that one is somehow superior to another because they have a different skin color. Not just a white skin color any more, but a different skin color; racism is not racial.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I grew up in the 2nd smallest school district in the state of Pennsylvania, a county school, we had the least funding and used old textbooks. In 1998 we still had the same curtains and lockers that the school had when it was built with in the 60's. ~ The funding has # to do with it, it's the students attitudes and the teachers workload that is the problem. Too many asshole kids to one teacher, what can you expect? How would you handle it? It's no wonder why some teachers now-a-days are only in it for a paycheck. They are getting shafted and ultimately it's the kids that are getting shafted the most. It's a vicious cycle and it starts at the home.
reply to post by kimish

Kimish, if I weren't already married, I would propose to you! You nailed it.

Another problem is the money being spent on schools never makes it to the teacher and the classroom. I don't know where it goes.

Think of this.....we pay for quality, right? So, if we want the best teachers...perhaps some of that money should go to raising salaries. Not saying I'm the best teacher, but I'm ready to leave education because the stress involved is horrendous and the pay sucks.

There's other problems, too...including standardized testing. But I won't go into that, I can feel my blood pressure rising as I type.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I'm a huge fan of charter schools. I think there should be charter schools in every school district in the country. My daughter goes to a charter school which follows the International Baccalaureate Program. We really like it. Because charter schools are open to the public, and they get some funding from the state (although it is less per student then regular public schools get), their students are required to take the standardized tests. The IB folks are absolutely against teaching to these standardized tests. Funny enough, the IB student test scores are usually higher than public school test scores. That's mostly because the IB program is all about teaching critical thinking skills, and with good critical thinking skills, you will do well on any test.

It's also true that there tends to be more parental involvement at charter schools. You usually have to sign up for a lottery to get into these schools, and sometimes you have to fill out a mountain of paperwork, with the students writing essays to be included with applications. So, the parents - and the students -- are usually very motivated to begin with.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Schools are failing everywhere regardless of what race inhabits them. The problem is the perks teachers get once they get tenure they just stop trying then they get a college grant to get a masters and it ups their pay to amazing amounts.

Everyone knows about starving teachers only making 30 thousand a year lol what they don't know is there are 2nd grade teachers bringing home almost 100k simply because they have a masters degree. The large sums of money that go to schools help pay for these 90k a year people that cant be fired. Let me ask anyone who went to a public school, did you ever feel like you received a 90k education in the 1st or 2nd grade? I'm not trying to bash anyone here or dismiss their right to collect more money after getting a masters but you shouldn't be allowed to collect that type of money unless your teaching mentality challenged children at that grade level.

I could understand middle school or even high school but elementary gtfoh. grades 1-3 basically anyone with or without a degree could teach. Its simple math, simple English.

If you want to improve schools base the pay scale on the test results 30- 50 grand max on teachers teaching k-5 grade, 6-8 grade can get 50-60 grand and 9-12 grade 60-70 grand with a masters. Then when they finish and retire average how much they made over the course of 30 years. maybe the teachers are the one's who need to pass the tests.

please don't come at me all hateful claiming you need to pay for your own supplies and life is rough get a privet sector job and see just how rough life can be when you don't produce results lol trust me you will not have a job ps stop blaming children for lack of good grades because for years now its been the parents second job to teach there kid at home what the children missed in school. The kids who's parents can teach them after school always do better " I wonder why" and if we are going to hear complaining about the class size maybe you need a teachers aid " I bet a bunch of college students would love to intern" This game of passing the buck is getting very old very quickly especially when its adults blaming children for bad results.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

Northeast Alabama Community College is rated among the top ten percent of community colleges nationwide in its remedial programs, and I know the remedial math department has awesome results. The reason in large part is because of what you say: paid tutors employed by the college while they attend, acting as teachers' aides and doing one-on-one tutoring. The tutors get a little extra cash to help out while they attend college, and the students get the help they need. Win-win.

Now why can't high schools do this? Someone (correctly) mentioned earlier about the lack of recognition for smarter students, and this would be a way to correct that. "Yeah, the nerd might not be as good at passing a football as me, but look at how much respect he gets for being smart!"

You'll also decrease bullying and create an environment of people who want to learn... simply by recognizing success in a tangible way. Pieces of paper on awards day are nice, but they aren't really worth anything tangible.

Great points.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

I grew up in the 2nd smallest school district in the state of Pennsylvania, a county school, we had the least funding and used old textbooks. In 1998 we still had the same curtains and lockers that the school had when it was built with in the 60's. ~ The funding has # to do with it, it's the students attitudes and the teachers workload that is the problem. Too many asshole kids to one teacher, what can you expect? How would you handle it? It's no wonder why some teachers now-a-days are only in it for a paycheck. They are getting shafted and ultimately it's the kids that are getting shafted the most. It's a vicious cycle and it starts at the home.
reply to post by kimish

Kimish, if I weren't already married, I would propose to you! You nailed it.

Another problem is the money being spent on schools never makes it to the teacher and the classroom. I don't know where it goes.

Think of this.....we pay for quality, right? So, if we want the best teachers...perhaps some of that money should go to raising salaries. Not saying I'm the best teacher, but I'm ready to leave education because the stress involved is horrendous and the pay sucks.

There's other problems, too...including standardized testing. But I won't go into that, I can feel my blood pressure rising as I type.

NOOOOOOOO! wrong very very wrong idea on raising salaries. What I didn't tell you is I personally know a person who made 90k to teach 2nd graders because she had a tenure and a masters, she was a horrible teacher who punished the whole class for the actions of one student " gee I wonder how having the teacher promoting kids bullying works" This lady was so delusional she told another person I know she wouldn't work for anything under 40 dollars an hour. The lady she told works for "good will" and makes 8 dollars an hour

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
When we had kids, one of the many decisions we made was to move to a city that has great schools. There are many cities, towns and/or areas within cities and towns that still have great schools.

It was an easy decision to make. However, we lived in a smaller house then we could have had in nearby cities with crummy schools.

So, if you're going to have kids or you currently have a family I would strongly encourage you to find the an area near you that has great schools and then move. The benefit to your children is huge.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

The problem?

Several parents are realizing that $3500 is simply not enough. The money is in the form of a tax credit, so they will have to wait almost a year before they see the money, and private schools want to be paid now. Not to mention, $3500 does not cover the entire costs apparently. So many parents simply want to move their child to a nearby non-failing school. But the Federal Desegregation law is stopping that in its tracks. Some of these schools are predominately black schools, and white students are unable to transfer out because of desegregation.

Can't see the wood for the trees. It's supposed to create this reaction. Your kid is in a failing school. A state run school. But it's ok, the state will pick up the tab if you actually want a decent education for your child. Only the share they are willing to pay is a pittance. The joke is on you. Silly person, thinking your child deserves a decent education. Get back to being a serf and learn your place.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

NOOOOOOOO! wrong very very wrong idea on raising salaries. What I didn't tell you is I personally know a person who made 90k to teach 2nd graders because she had a tenure and a masters, she was a horrible teacher who punished the whole class for the actions of one student " gee I wonder how having the teacher promoting kids bullying works" This lady was so delusional she told another person I know she wouldn't work for anything under 40 dollars an hour. The lady she told works for "good will" and makes 8 dollars an hour

Where is this? I have a masters and I'm making under 30,000. Before taxes.

I need to move.

ETA....if we want quality teachers, we have to be willing to pay for them. If there's a teacher who's getting away with this nonsense....then the administration is failing in their duties.
edit on 19-6-2013 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I need to move.

ETA....if we want quality teachers, we have to be willing to pay for them. If there's a teacher who's getting away with this nonsense....then the administration is failing in their duties.

A masters in cake decorating doesn't count.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The future of teaching is going to interesting I bet. This is how I see it actually working out in the future. One very large room "gym" filled with students and about 15-20 teaching aids getting paid "8 dollars an hour" splitting the large class into sections a large screen in front of the students where a teacher skyping in from home is teaching a class of 200 students. 10 students per aid or so, a touch screen on every desk or ones made into the desk. The students will be given periodical questions that pop up on the touch screen desks about the topic being discussed. If a student gets too many wrong answers he or she will be given a note to stay after school for one on one with a teacher who is on campus. That teacher will have the result of the test for the student or students who needed to stay after class. This teacher will be able to pin point the problem though the results of the test for the student and answers the question the student needs to understand the topic. Just think one teacher will teach all math classes for every year "9-12 grade" or everyone who needs algebra or pre cal ect. Instead of 5 different math teachers there will be one.

Lets say 5 math teachers in high school a year make 60 grand each totaling =300 grand now you have one for 60 grand. The fifteen or so aids together make 230,000 thousand but they will be used with every class from English to math to history now all you need is one history teacher and one English teacher instead of 4 or five each and instead of 3 high schools in a large city you now have one large one.

Do I think it will be better for kids lol no but that is they way I see it going in the future.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

crestline california

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by threewisemonkeys

I need to move.

A masters in cake decorating doesn't count.

.??

Masters in education, plus.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy
reply to post by smyleegrl

crestline california

Is the cost of living high? Perhaps her salary isn't that much when you consider cost of living.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

You're dreaming.

Most teachers can barely do email let alone monitor a huge classroom of non motivated kids.

Put 200 kids in a situation like you describe and you would have chaos.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy
The future of teaching is going to interesting I bet. This is how I see it actually working out in the future. One very large room "gym" filled with students and about 15-20 teaching aids getting paid "8 dollars an hour" splitting the large class into sections a large screen in front of the students where a teacher skyping in from home is teaching a class of 200 students. 10 students per aid or so, a touch screen on every desk or ones made into the desk. The students will be given periodical questions that pop up on the touch screen desks about the topic being discussed. If a student gets too many wrong answers he or she will be given a note to stay after school for one on one with a teacher who is on campus. That teacher will have the result of the test for the student or students who needed to stay after class. This teacher will be able to pin point the problem though the results of the test for the student and answers the question the student needs to understand the topic. Just think one teacher will teach all math classes for every year "9-12 grade" or everyone who needs algebra or pre cal ect. Instead of 5 different math teachers there will be one.

Lets say 5 math teachers in high school a year make 60 grand each totaling =300 grand now you have one for 60 grand. The fifteen or so aids together make 230,000 thousand but they will be used with every class from English to math to history now all you need is one history teacher and one English teacher instead of 4 or five each and instead of 3 high schools in a large city you now have one large one.

Do I think it will be better for kids lol no but that is they way I see it going in the future.

I see this happening as well, especially in high schools. Maybe not so much in elementary schools.

I've also wondered....if this could be a plan by TPTB to do away with public school altogether, or at least drastically reduce it. Think about it, if more and more people decide to home school or send their children to private schools....who ultimately benefits? The government....they can close schools and eliminate a huge part of the budget.

Maybe just paranoia, maybe not....

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
That's a very sad state of affairs going on.
Put yourself inside the head of the average school age kid today and what are they thinking?:
"Even if I went to college (IF I could afford it) there aren't any jobs".
"I'll just join the armed forces when I graduate, problem solved."

Or they just take the approach of learning some trade they have a relative working in - hvac/auto repair/carpentry/etc.

Add to that a culture that no longer values education and thinks books belong to a bygone era
Also the security and disciplinary structure in schools has become overbearing to the point where kids feel teachers and staff are all "working for The Man"
Individuality is no longer cherished, much less tolerated.
Everyone must conform to the same standards with no room for personal differences or aptitudes.
These all lead to resentment and a degree of dehumanization.

Our society has no rock star scholars. They don't make huge amounts of money like sports figures or celebrities. Boys don't think most girls find intelligence an attractive trait. No money, no bling, no girls - what's in education for guys?
I say that because I do think girls find far more value in education than boys and most of these schools that are failing do so primarily because of male students scoring low on tests.

No amount of money can fix a failing school. that has been proved time and again. It really comes down to attitudes towards education in our culture and parental involvement (or lack thereof). It took every bit of prodding by both my parents for me to barely graduate high school. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be for single parents to stay involved while having to be the sole provider as well.

Skin color should never be a determinant as to who is allowed a quality education or funding for such. If we truly want a colorblind society it must be reflected in our policies and laws. Unfortunately, there are many groups whose sole reason for existence is to further one group over another. They're not going to go away on their own. We the people must rise above such favoritism and treat each other as equals if America is to ever live up to it's promise.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join