It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Policing the police?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I've seen a lot of anti-police slash hate police threads. While I do agree, that some if not most cops are indeed corrupt at least here in Bakersfield. The hate, I see is indeed troubling, the problem as I see it, is two fold.

First, people who are in positions of power, will always abuse it in some way shape or form. This is common to our species, Very few individuals will or have risen above it. Yet there is a need to have these people, no matter how people feel, there needs to be in place a force to deal with those in society who refuse to play by the rules.

Second, Cops, as with any people who work hand in hand day in and out will develop strong relationships and as such, will from time to time, fudge the truth to make a "friend" look a little better if not innocent than what the facts would state, otherwise. This exists in every profession no matter the area. Office workers, will lie for a coworker who was late, saying that he was indeed there on time and so forth.

The problem, with police as well as security guards, as well as any one person who has power over another is that most of these organizations police or investigate their own. They are pretty much only accountable to them self. As such, they will be drawn to play down certain situations to give them a more favorable light.

The only way to truly fix police corruption is to have an outside, organization that rotates members on a regular basis, who can have powers over the police agency's weather it be local, state, or federal. This group, would be highly transparent, with staff, that while paid would be drawn much like a jury is. Local citizens would be drafted, into a period of service.

Their primary job, would be to investigate the police on all levels in their local areas. Have federal authority to investigate and, gather all evidence, and if need be make arrests. Up to and including deadly force. I think the problem with police would solve itself in a matter of months, after the first two or three cops where shot in the line of official investigation.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Reaper2137

Everyone complains about the cops until a maniac shows up and starts killing people.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
LOL, true, I was merely pointing out a solution that would fix the problem. A rotating out side source that would monitor and fix the problem. People don't seem to be keen on fixing the problem just complaining about it.

join