It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Brother alert: Cameras in the cable box to monitor TV viewers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Should be pretty easy to spot by opening up the box. Then you can either remove it, cover it or whatever.

They are just shooting themselves in the foot with this more than anything.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
***snip***

All we need now is the thought police and we are off! LoL
***snip***

It's called PC (which funnily enough is the English abbreviation for Police Constable).

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
They will make you want to use the technology by having TV shows that interact with the viewer directly at home. Game Shows and TV Talk shows, Connecting with your friends while sitting in front of the TV is so easy and such an attractive part of a package that people will flock to it.

We already have people out there that are willing to tweet or post their daily activites on sites like twitter & FB and Skype. For people already laying their lives out on the web you can see it becoming the next big thing in the social networking boom.

edit on 19/6/13 by Ezappa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Tape will work to cover a camera, but can you see where the camera is located on the box?

And if they put it near the IR receiver, your remote may not work if you cover it up. I wouldn't put it past them to design it that way intentionally.

Infrared light codes from your remote works fine through frosted glass.

A camera doesn't.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ezappa
They will make you want to use the technology by having TV shows that interact with the viewer directly at home. Game Shows and TV Talk shows, Connecting with your friends while sitting in front of the TV is so easy and such an attractive part of a package that people will flock to it.

We already have people out there that are willing to tweet or post their daily activites on sites like twitter & FB and Skype. For people already laying their lives out on the web you can see it becoming the next big thing in the social networking boom.

edit on 19/6/13 by Ezappa because: (no reason given)

That will just make it easier for THEM to find the ones they want. And while they are collected I'll stand idle by and watch. There will be so many to collect those in the light that they won't have time and ressources to look for those who are in the shadows.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

there's a camera in the new xbox, and the wii requires motion control using a primitive camera type system. The ps3/ps4 do NOT ship with cameras, you have to purchase them separately, and unless you are an idiot who likes to waste electricity, you unplug it from usb when not using it.

side note, i think someone made a thread about comcast offering home security systems. Well, i checked my mail yesterday. Bell Aliant here in NB Canada is now offering the same service, they install motion sensors, cameras in every room, and you can control it from a smartphone.

Yeah, think i'll pass.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The Kinect on X Box one is not built in, its a seperate device and does have its own dedicated port connector rather than A usb port.

Connections on X Box one

Kinect is 3rd from the right.

I don't know if the Kinect has to be connected in order to work the X Box though. If it does then duct tape won't stop the problem of spying as they will still have acces to mics.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
There are cameras in the new gaming consoles, TV cable and satellite boxes and even in refrigerators now.

Big brother is already here.

Luckily it seems that the cheapest version of the ps4 wont even come with the camera. XboxOne on the other hand will spy on you for sure.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ezappa

And here is the problem. They actually force you to connect it to even be able to use the console.
Kinda odd considering that nearly all xbox users i have talked to actually hated the kinect and want nothing to do with the new one.
But I guess that just shows that Microsoft has other interests than their own customers.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Infrared light codes from your remote works fine through frosted glass.

A camera doesn't.

I like the way you think!

As for the mic....tape works just as well there too. I used to do it all the time on my laptop, as I never trusted the mute button for business calls or teleconferences.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Post-it's and e tape are great IF you are aware of the cameras! I cover my cameras and mic's too. But if you're not aware of them you can't cover them.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join