It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

32 Million Data Collection Points in San Diego Alone...The "Truth" is Coming Out

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Let them spy, we are law abiding Citizens, I'm pretty sure this is to keep the Cartels from gaining any sort of foothold in San Diego, I'm for this, the border regions can go off at any moment like Iraq if the Cartels feel like starting a "Revolution" I dislike our government, but id die before Id let Cartels have any real Control of San Diego.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Not every one is comfortable with having the government spying on every aspect of their lives.

Maybe you should work for the government from what I've seen you would fit right in.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by bmullini

But can't I offer the same argument against what you are saying? Why does my right to privacy go away as soon as I step into "public"? Why can't I just enjoy myself without someone always "watching" me? I won't use the tired slippery slope argument cuz society has a tendency to rid themselves of things they don't want. But, it seems that is getting tougher and tougher when you have a elected officials that don't tend to understand their function as a legislator.

Anyways, the argument of if you are doing nothing wrong, then you have nothing to worry about is ridiculous in that I still have a right to privacy even when in public. I could not follow you around everywhere you went listening to your conversations, following your credit/debit card transactions, tracking where you went and what you did and ate. I have seen several people found guilty of stalking charges for this very thing. Why would you allow your government to do it? The ONLY function of government it to protect your unalienable rights, not to spy.

The OP is about setting up cameras in public areas, not tracking credit card transactions. They have been able to track credit card transactions for people on the run long before public cameras.

And no, you don't have the right to privacy when in public. Try going to the beach and screaming at everyone not to look at you in your bathing suit. (I tried that, it doesn't work

edit on 18-6-2013 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
San Diego is the most strategically important City on the whole Southern West Coast. We have Naval Yards, Navy Base, A marine base... Home port to a couple of Carriers. If I were a military Commander, Regardless of how the city was deemed crime full or not, I'd lock it down with these Cameras, We the whole of San Diego Is the South West Fortress to America.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

When you set up camera's in public it is nothing short of entrapment. It is no different than a cop selling you drugs then busting you for it. In my personal opinion the cop who sells you the drugs should be arrested for delivery of a controlled substance. The same charge that would be enacted on any one else that sells drugs.

Why should it be any different for them than it is for us? Ever tried to record a cop when he pulls you over? It can get damn ugly fast. I fail to see your logic.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Really...I don't understand why any of this is a big surprise...we have been spied upon for many, many years; the only difference is...technology and the methods used now.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Yep, I find it odd that Americans are getting all het up about it, seeing as we have had such intrusions for years, then I realise that the UK should be getting het up about it, then I realise the UK is full of apathetic a** kissers that are so bent on cheating the next guy for their own gains that it was a ridiculous notion to peruse in the first place. Doomed, doomed, doomed, if people en masse can't do something about it then who can?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSpanishArcher
I've been telling people this was happening for years. Obviously, I had no hard proof. Pretty much everyone has ignored me. So now I sit, basically friendless and the few I do have are blithering fools, getting old and decrepit, but I can say "HA! I was RIGHT!"

Little consolation that is. The truth has made me a social leper. I don't even attempt to talk to people anymore. Why bother?

I hope there is a special level of hell for these A******* who perpetrate this Godforsaken system, lawmakers, pigs, court officials, lawyers, all of them involved in turning America into a police state.

ETA: Forgot to add this from the article. Lovely sentiments, so heartwarming.

The San Diego Police Department finds the technology so helpful for policing that it wants to add more.

Two million pieces of data each month and yet it's not enough. Go figure.
edit on 6/18/2013 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

Well the people that make the rules and enslave us say they are god fearing people, now do you really think that is true if there was a hell??? There is no hell except for what we are already living in so to speak. We are not free and that is clearly visible to anyone with intelligence.

They know the history and truths of the past and know there is no hell and that is why consciously they have no issue with what they do. When you are a cattle rancher you see your livestock as monetary means and a way to live... this is the same way they view us. We are the worker bees that is are only purpose. I know it sucks but that's what we allowed to happen...materials and fools gold was all it took to defeat us. Shame isn't it

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by wills120

Government can exist peacefully with the people as long as it adheres to the tenets of The Constitution.

Right....

How's that working out?

From my perspective, law enforcement, the judicial system, and the Corporate fascist government lapdogs could care less about the Constitution. I hold as evidence the San Diego data collection agenda to enforce their idea of conformity.

Remember the boiling frog analogy....how long until cameras in PRIVATE places mandated by the state?

Do you think the Patriot act falls inline with the Constitution? I don't

Do you think the below reference adheres to the spirit of the Constitution.

______beforeitsnews/blogging-citizen-journalism/2013/06/more-intrusive-than-eavesdropping-nsa-collection-of-metadata-hands-govt-sweeping-personal -info-2448058.html

edit on 18-6-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wills120

I think what the Furry Texan took exception to was the machine reference.

That was the Nazi's excuse as you obviously know.

From what I've read you guys are not very far apart.

Matter of fact...I would describe you both as "Patriots".

My highest compliment...

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
This whole post is a copy paste from Wikipedia...

"The economy of San Diego is influenced by its deep water port, which includes the only major submarine and shipbuilding yards on the West Coast. Several major national defense contractors were started and are headquartered in San Diego, including General Atomics, Cubic, and NASSCO.

San Diego hosts the largest naval fleet in the world: it was in 2008 was home to 53 ships, over 120 tenant commands, and more than 35,000 sailors, soldiers, Department of Defense civilian employees and contractors. About 5 percent of all civilian jobs in the county are military-related, and 15,000 businesses in San Diego County rely on Department of Defense contracts.

Military bases in San Diego include US Navy facilities, Marine Corps bases, and Coast Guard stations. Marine Corps institutions in the city of San Diego include Marine Corps Air Station Miramar and Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego. The Navy has several institutions in the city, including Naval Base Point Loma, Naval Base San Diego (also known as the 32nd Street Naval Station), Naval Medical Center San Diego (also known as Bob Wilson Naval Hospital), the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center San Diego, and Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command ("SPAWAR"). Also near San Diego but not within the city limits are Naval Amphibious Base Coronado and Naval Air Station North Island (which operates Naval Auxiliary Landing Facility San Clemente Island, Silver Strand Training Complex, and the Outlying Field Imperial Beach). San Diego is known as the "birthplace of naval aviation".

The city is "home to the majority of the U.S. Pacific Fleet's surface combatants, all of the Navy's West Coast amphibious ships and a variety of Coast Guard and Military Sealift Command vessels". Two Nimitz class super carriers, (the USS Carl Vinson, and USS Ronald Reagan), five amphibious assault ships, several Los Angeles-class "fast attack" submarines, the Hospital Ship USNS Mercy, carrier and submarine tenders, destroyers, cruisers, frigates, and many smaller ships are home-ported there. Four Navy vessels have been named USS San Diego.

F/A-18 Hornet flying over San Diego and the USS John C. Stennis"

Of course were being spied on, we are a giant military base, all of San Diego. And like I said before, if i had military Command over San Diego, I'd secure it with cameras to.
edit on 18-6-2013 by MConnalley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Originally posted by kaylaluv
I don't really understand the outrage. If I am out walking around in public, anyone could look at me, right? I mean, it's not against the law to look at someone who is in a public area, right? I sit at public park benches and people-watch for hours. Am I doing something evil? If I see a man trying to abduct a child while I'm people-watching, I will do something to stop it. Is that bad?

If I am driving my car on a public road, anyone could see my license plate, right? It's not illegal to look at someone's license plate if their car is on a public street. If I am the perpetrator of a hit and run, and someone turns me in based on seeing my license plate, is that bad?

If you don't want anyone to look at you or your car, don't go or drive outside. Now, let me know when they start putting cameras in people's homes. That IS bad. But in public areas where everyone and anyone can see you anyway, I don't see the big deal.

You are correct, if i am out walking around people can see me. However, taking photographic images is not the same as "seeing". More over, using those photos to collect data on where I am going is not "seeing". If being seen by an omnipresent human force is the price of going outside, I will stay inside.

On a related note, if photographing is the same as "seeing", why all the fuss about pirating movies and music? I would think that they can't have that argument both ways.

Let's say I sit on the park bench every afternoon. I notice that this one guy comes to the park every Wednesday and every Friday. I see that he goes to the ice cream vendor in the park on those days, and on Wednesdays he always buys an ice cream sandwich, and on Fridays he always buys a root beer snow cone. Does it hurt this guy in any way for me to take note of this? Does it impinge on his freedom in any way? He doesn't know me, I don't know him. He will probably never even know that I have seen him and noticed his habits. What if I am taking pictures at the park, and he walks into my shot? Is it illegal or immoral for me to take pictures at a public park? You might ask, "well, what are you going to do with those pictures?" What if I don't do anything with them? What if I just have them in an archive folder on my smart phone, and eventually I delete them? But, what if when I am taking pictures on my cell phone, I happen to catch a shot of someone stealing a handbag? Is it illegal or immoral for me to turn my photo in to the police to help catch the thief? How is this different than cameras set up at a public place?

There is no problem with the camera's but the problem is when this information is used for nefarious reasons!
Lets say I go to a protest a Tea party protest and there is a democrat in office and this information of my participation in this protest gets back to the democratic party and since convicts are not allowed to participate in an election it would be in their best interest to see me imprisoned! so they decide to audit me to see if they can get anything on me and maybe my tax records are not perfect maybe I claimed something I shouldn't have and now the biased prosecutor decides to throw the book at me! The Biased judge gives me the max sentence!
Now I am sitting in prison for a minor infraction! We all know power corrupts so to give men absolute power is absolutely insane! Cameras are fine as long as they are not used by some corrupt alphabet agency and today with all the corruption I can almost guarantee they will be! As they have before...

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diisenchanted

When you set up camera's in public it is nothing short of entrapment. It is no different than a cop selling you drugs then busting you for it. In my personal opinion the cop who sells you the drugs should be arrested for delivery of a controlled substance. The same charge that would be enacted on any one else that sells drugs.

I fail to see the comparison with cops selling you drugs and cameras in public places. A camera isn't going to sell you drugs. A better comparison would be having a policeman standing in a public park or parking lot, watching what's going on. Only, multiply that by 32 million policemen on every street corner and every parking lot and every park.

Why should it be any different for them than it is for us?

It isn't. Those public cameras also capture policemen as well.
edit on 18-6-2013 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Yes, I have every right to privacy in public. That is quite a straw man argument you have there, lol. If I don't want peeps staring at me while I wear a bikini, I simply won't wear a bikini!

I know the OP is representing an argument against cameras, but this ties into a much bigger problem with government that has been presented by other posters. But I can stick with the cameras for now...

Red light cameras have some legality issues surrounding them. These cameras have actually made some intersections more dangerous. A study conducted in Kansas City has shown that accidents have increased cuz drivers slam on their brakes to avoid getting ticketed by a camera. Also, I have a personal friend who has beaten three of these tickets simply because the city cannot prove he was driving the vehicle at the time. My dad even received a ticket in the mail even when NOT running the red light, he simply crossed over the white line triggering the camera. I know that this technology is not perfect, but out of the 29 cameras installed across the city, 24 intersections became worse. I think we could waste my tax dollars on something else, lol.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MConnalley
This whole post is a copy paste from Wikipedia...

"The economy of San Diego is influenced by its deep water port, which includes the only major submarine and shipbuilding yards on the West Coast. Several major national defense contractors were started and are headquartered in San Diego, including General Atomics, Cubic, and NASSCO.

San Diego hosts the largest naval fleet in the world: it was in 2008 was home to 53 ships, over 120 tenant commands, and more than 35,000 sailors, soldiers, Department of Defense civilian employees and contractors. About 5 percent of all civilian jobs in the county are military-related, and 15,000 businesses in San Diego County rely on Department of Defense contracts.

Military bases in San Diego include US Navy facilities, Marine Corps bases, and Coast Guard stations. Marine Corps institutions in the city of San Diego include Marine Corps Air Station Miramar and Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego. The Navy has several institutions in the city, including Naval Base Point Loma, Naval Base San Diego (also known as the 32nd Street Naval Station), Naval Medical Center San Diego (also known as Bob Wilson Naval Hospital), the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center San Diego, and Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command ("SPAWAR"). Also near San Diego but not within the city limits are Naval Amphibious Base Coronado and Naval Air Station North Island (which operates Naval Auxiliary Landing Facility San Clemente Island, Silver Strand Training Complex, and the Outlying Field Imperial Beach). San Diego is known as the "birthplace of naval aviation".

The city is "home to the majority of the U.S. Pacific Fleet's surface combatants, all of the Navy's West Coast amphibious ships and a variety of Coast Guard and Military Sealift Command vessels". Two Nimitz class super carriers, (the USS Carl Vinson, and USS Ronald Reagan), five amphibious assault ships, several Los Angeles-class "fast attack" submarines, the Hospital Ship USNS Mercy, carrier and submarine tenders, destroyers, cruisers, frigates, and many smaller ships are home-ported there. Four Navy vessels have been named USS San Diego.

F/A-18 Hornet flying over San Diego and the USS John C. Stennis"

Of course were being spied on, we are a giant military base, all of San Diego. And like I said before, if i had military Command over San Diego, I'd secure it with cameras to.
edit on 18-6-2013 by MConnalley because: (no reason given)

Sounds like the safest place on Earth...

Your point is valid. If you are in Military Intelligence.

Joe Citizen needs a judge to sign a warrant for them to legally snoop.

At least that is what I thought the Constitution said.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I think it's funny you all call the government paranoid, nosey, unjust when you lot are all exactly the same. You want to be able to do what ever you want and have no one know about your business, but at the same time you care to know what everyone else is doing. You pry into every word the government says, you distrust, you investigate and snoop, but when you think it's happening to you, it's all heckles and snarls.

The sooner you realize they are no different than you or me, the easier your life will be.

No human being is any better, some are a little worse, some are way worse, but any of you or I would not be any better in office.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

It isn't. Those public cameras also capture policemen as well.

Yes, talk about handcuffing an Officer. I bet they hate it.

It will definitely would change the way you did your job.

BTW, People have been getting arrested for filming police.

If life isn't hard enough...Put imperfect people in charge of these HD cameras.

You know they have tilt, pan and zoom capabilities.

How long until they are looking at people through their windows?

Blackmail, Extortion and a host of new crimes created.

They are on the doorstep...I think they want in...

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

Originally posted by wills120

Government can exist peacefully with the people as long as it adheres to the tenets of The Constitution.

Right....

How's that working out?

From my perspective, law enforcement, the judicial system, and the Corporate fascist government lapdogs could care less about the Constitution. I hold as evidence the San Diego data collection agenda to enforce their idea of conformity.

Remember the boiling frog analogy....how long until cameras in PRIVATE places mandated by the state?

Do you think the Patriot act falls inline with the Constitution? I don't

Do you think the below reference adheres to the spirit of the Constitution.

______beforeitsnews/blogging-citizen-journalism/2013/06/more-intrusive-than-eavesdropping-nsa-collection-of-metadata-hands-govt-sweeping-personal -info-2448058.html

edit on 18-6-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

I agree with you....it's not working obviously. I live in cul-de-sac that has a 4-way stop light. On each arm is a camera with one that points right at my house - I'm absolutely sure that they can see when I leave, when my wife and daughter are outside, contents of my garage, etc. We know that this data is being stored for 2 years and that's the problem. To me, the storage of data pertaining to my movements should be considered as part of an "ongoing investigation" without probable cause and therefore subject to the restrictions of the Fourth Amendment.

Smaller, limited Government would, in theory, eliminate this as the funding simply wouldn't be available for this. I understand the need for cameras at the border and military installations but having 32m "collection points" in San Diego is unacceptable.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by bmullini

Yes, I have every right to privacy in public. That is quite a straw man argument you have there, lol. If I don't want peeps staring at me while I wear a bikini, I simply won't wear a bikini!

Oh, but then they are taking away your right to wear a bikini and not be looked at! That was my initial argument: if you don't want cameras on you in public, don't go out in public.

I know the OP is representing an argument against cameras, but this ties into a much bigger problem with government that has been presented by other posters. But I can stick with the cameras for now...

Red light cameras have some legality issues surrounding them. These cameras have actually made some intersections more dangerous. A study conducted in Kansas City has shown that accidents have increased cuz drivers slam on their brakes to avoid getting ticketed by a camera. Also, I have a personal friend who has beaten three of these tickets simply because the city cannot prove he was driving the vehicle at the time. My dad even received a ticket in the mail even when NOT running the red light, he simply crossed over the white line triggering the camera. I know that this technology is not perfect, but out of the 29 cameras installed across the city, 24 intersections became worse. I think we could waste my tax dollars on something else, lol.

You raise a good point. I'm not crazy about red-light cameras, but not because "big brother is watching me", but because people are inherently STUPID drivers. The people who slam on their brakes to avoid a ticket are STUPID. And the people who are too close behind them who slam into them are EVEN MORE STUPID. Normally, I wouldn't care about such stupid people, but sometimes those cars have innocent children in them...

Technically, if you stop over the white line, you can get a ticket. My husband's boss was stopped and ticketed for that very thing at a stop sign, so technically, your dad deserved a ticket.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx
I think it's funny you all call the government paranoid, nosey, unjust when you lot are all exactly the same. You want to be able to do what ever you want and have no one know about your business, but at the same time you care to know what everyone else is doing. You pry into every word the government says, you distrust, you investigate and snoop, but when you think it's happening to you, it's all heckles and snarls.

The sooner you realize they are no different than you or me, the easier your life will be.

No human being is any better, some are a little worse, some are way worse, but any of you or I would not be any better in office.

Personally, I don't care what individuals do as long as it doesn't affect me or my family. Use drugs, have sex with whoever you want, marry your rottweiler, etc. as long as it doesn't harm me or my family.

Now as to your other point, EVERY AMERICAN CITIZEN SHOULD pry into every word or activity the government says or does. In this country, the government is meant to serve us, not them. The big problem is that people here have become apathetic and lazy and the Govt. is taking advantage of that.

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join