It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice Dept. Loses a Round in Battle to Keep Surveillance Wrongdoing Secret

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Last week I posted a thread about how the Justice Department ruled that an 86 page finding was top secret. That top secret finding was that some of the surveillance utilized by the NSA was unconstitutional.

FISA court, the top secret court, has ruled that the FISC rules allow disclosure of the opinion of the 86 page finding. Now this is just part of the battle and concerns FISA only, but a victory none the less. Next this has to go to the district court and the Justice Department will fight this tooth and nail. I will keep you all updated after the next step is complete.

Last year, after Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) released a declassified statement noting that the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) court had found that the US government had engaged in surveillance that had circumvented the law etc...

The FISA court did not buy the agency's arguments. On Wednesday, it handed EFF a slam-dunk victory in this side battle, ruling, "The Court concludes that it has jurisdiction to adjudicate the EFF Motion and that the FISC Rules do not prohibit the Government's disclosure of the Opinion in the event it is ultimately determined by the District Court to be subject to disclosure under FOIA." So now the Justice Department cannot hide behind its claim that FISA court rules prevent it from releasing the opinion in response to a FOIA lawsuit.

But he still has a tough fight ahead in this case, for the Justice Department has certainly demonstrated it will fiercely oppose disclosing an opinion revealing government surveillance gone wrong—even when the nation's most secret court has no objection.

Justice Dept. Loses a Round in Battle to Keep Surveillance Wrongdoing Secret

edit on 16-6-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Dear elouina,

But do you understand what the real purpose of these releases are? It is to let you know that they are watching what we do. Informed consent is the concept that they are using to justify their actions.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I know this may not seem like much to many. But these small steps are crucial to prevent the undermining of our constitution. Covering up that the NSA continued to perform surveillance that was unconstitutional, is treason. If the last step fails, it will be definate tyranny. So I pray that this doesn't happen.

Considering that FISA court is a top secret court, I am pleased that they didn't side with tyranny. Since us Americans have no clue what even goes on there, and that is scary in itself.

So yeah, this very tiny step meant a lot.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
What means the most is that people are awakening at unprecidented numbers these days....thanks for the post, we needed to hear that.....

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
This whole Snowden / NSA PsyOp is to cover a real threat and keep people from discussing it.

The new Radio arrays using Magnetic Resonance and VLF (Very Low Frequency) to not only spy on things in ways they've never been able to do....but use those hyper high power Magnetic Resonance Radio arrays to make people sick....they can even remove and add software to computers remotely.

North Korea, China, Russia seen any "information" mysteriously appear on their computers??

They can kill people with this new technology. The protons in your body don't like it when high power Magnetic Resonance alters you at the atomic level.

new topics

top topics

join