It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember your past?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I was sent this by email this morning and after have viewed and listen to this it made me think about the good old times when I was growing up and I have always wonder how I survied my childhood with all the crazy things I have done.

Kids today would not have a clue what half of these things are.

After viewing give me your thoughts, I figurd that everyone should have a chance to remember the good old days.The past
edit on 16-6-2013 by 19KTankCommander because: sp

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by 19KTankCommander

I embedded it for you

I miss the days of playing tag until it was to dark to not fall into a hole and twist your ankle.

I grew up in Alaska though, so it was hard to tell by the daylight, if it was to dark, you were in trouble and got grounded...lol

Back then, kids had a lot of fun outside and you didn't have to worry about them like you do today.
So much has changed, and not for the better I think.

I remember the days of playing double dare, hide and seek, rolling in the grass, and just doing a lot of kid stuff.
I miss it too

edit on 16-6-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Thanks still trying to get the hang of these things, still learning

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

No problem!

That was worth the listen and the embed!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Thanks Op. That's bitter sweet to watch. The only thing I wasn't old enough now to recall is $0.25 for an allowance to be happy about....but not that far off. I think a couple dollars a week was the going wage back then for me.

A little sad to watch too, to know how much it's changed for so many simple pleasures my own son will never know existed in more than a 'back in my time....' sort of way to hear talked about. (They did forget the venerable lawn dart! lol.. those were fun)

So much has changed...so short a time...so much of it, in ways I'd call negative. Thanks for the short trip into memoryville though. I don't visit the place often enough at times.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Funny, that was obviously for U.S consumption by a certain generation and yet I'm from the U.K. and recognise most if not all of those things!!

Ah, those endless days of sunshine, playing out until dark... making mud pies, riding through the dust on your bike making dust trails behind you..

Happy happy times!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

We are still living in it baby...past, present, future are all happening NOW!!!
The time loop is rocking !!!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Mister_Bit

reply to post by uk today

So the UK still has these days?

Please enjoy them!

edit on 16-6-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I don't know if everyone's past is perfect. We all had the good, the bad, and the ugly in our lives. We cannot change the past. But we can learn from it. I do remember how I used to play video games and with toys all day. Now I see everything as over priced and toys as just plastic. Being a little hell raiser. In a way I'm still a hell raiser. But I matured and I do have a lot of respect for other people now. Television was more fun when shows were fictional and not "reality" based. People are still crazy, but we can still have a lot of fun. I cannot remember anything else from my youth. haha random.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Thanks Op. That's bitter sweet to watch. The only thing I wasn't old enough now to recall is $0.25 for an allowance to be happy about....but not that far off. I think a couple dollars a week was the going wage back then for me.

I remember getting the 64 ounce empty coke bottle for a weekly allowance. It was five glorious cents that bought a LOT of candy! So, either I'm really old or my mother was one cheap &^%$#@ !

Hmmm, now that I think about it, the return of those bottles might have been two cents.
MAAAAA !!!!

edit on 6/16/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Oh and lets not forget about tug of war and musical chairs.

I make my kids do the same things I did when I was growing up. I don't allow them to sit inside on a pretty day. I play with them still even though they are teens now. We still race to the car and still arm wrestle.

The days before this cyber era were much simpler!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Well, look at it this way, the change of laws and courts between then and now means we all ought to be able to sue someone for back pay w/ interest! We were exploited and abused at slave wages! Oh those nasty parental units.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
My Mum used to play a great game with my sister and I when I was little.

She would scatter cushions on the floor and we would take turns to jump on them and my Mum would make random funny noises when we landed on them. My sister and I loved it and were in tears of laughter!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
i wouldn't wish my past on anyone, not attempting to sound overly dramatic, but i seriously would never wish it on anyone,

it's only been about 5 years since the "end" of my past (18 years old) as i would call it, i don't hold a grudge, and i've forgiven it, i wont let it own or control me,

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Aww....this does bring back memories!
Being outside ALL day, without getting sunburned.
The whole family sitting down together for supper.
Playing 45's (records) on a record player in my bedroom....singing into a hairbrush.
Playing Solitaire with a real deck of cards, lol.
Feeling safe at school.
Earning minimum wage....and able to have a 'savings' account.
Quitting a job before lunch, and getting another one before supper.
Believing that being a 'good person' was important.

Thanks for the memories!
jacygirl

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

Playing outside is always fun. Just not in the rain when you're getting wet and cold. Buying cheap junk food and then playing at the park. Good times. Now I pack a healthy lunch when going to the park.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Just not in the rain when you're getting wet and cold.

I loved playing in the rain exspecially when the creek started to flood out that meant we could make our 55 gallon drums we found into canoes by cutting them in half and floating down the swollen creek. Or hanging out at the old Trazan swing that went across the creek and we would double dare each other to see who could make it to the other side.

Rain, snow, sunshine what ever the weather was we found something to do outdoors.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

I sure do.There was a magical quality about the world that just is'nt there anymore-i hope for my children's sake that they have experienced this-but it's not something one can ask.We rode our bikes all over town,hung out on the steps of the Greek's corner shop,went to movies at night+walked home(a group of 3/4 young girls) took the train into Cape Town+hung out there(usually me alone or me+ my bestie).We played in the streets,climbed trees+roofs+played in wild places like "the barrens"from It by Stephen King.TV only came to South Africa when I was 10 years old-and even after that we still preferred playing outside.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

That just about got me teary-eyed now
I was an abused child,but yet,there was So much else to give quality to life! My adoptive father was always nice to me when I was a child,he worked as a farm manager about 100 miles or more away,and we would take our holidays on the farm,or sometimes go there for a weekend.I usually got to take a friend along,and we would go out on one of the 2 big dams in a boat,swim,lay around in the sun,ran around in the shadowy forest,chase piglets,try our hand at milking cows,scare each other with ghost stories at night..wonderful times!

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
We did some crazy things...

In Alaska, (Kodiak island), we'd sneak out of the compound into the wilderness, and occasionally encounter bears, get stuck on ledges, or on frozen lakes, etc.

We'd climb tall trees, swing out on a rope into a river, jump off bridges....

We'd make go carts out of spare parts and rotted wood, and roll down hills until they splintered and shattered into pieces...

We'd have wars by generally throwing rocks at each other...(what the heck were we thinking?)

We'd make zip lines that ended in a mattress against a tree....

We'd ride our bikes all over town, coming home only as the street lights came on.

We'd actually walk to school....or wait at the bus stop, and nobody's parents were there.

Different world we live in now.

new topics

top topics

join