It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA admits listening to U.S. phone calls without warrants - Angry yet?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
This kind of thing always tempted me to text/speak all the keywords on the list, just to see what happens.

Just to prove they're listening.

I'd document the whole thing, too. That would make a great youtube story.

I might get on that experiment...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by digital_desire
reply to post by elouina

what are you going to do other than typing a couple of forum messages on your keyboard?

none! the government and nsa can bank on that..

better something than nothing.

btw there are conspiracy sites ranked in the top 2000. ats is ranked 7500 probably cause the owners don't care that much about protecting the content.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
>SonOfTheLawOfOne> Are you into The Laws of God and Creation? And Father Aton?... since I see your name..
if yes we have alot in common.

What matters the most is what we do with the information given, not who is right and who is wrong because our very survival depends on it,what we do and that we UNITE, though, they wait for people to rise up in arms. The only way to turn things around, is within the system, that will say, make the evil reverse what theyve done, and arrest them.

All this can go two ways. It can be orchestrated to reach the goal,I mean,the news whats happened. Or,it can be genuine. you gotta prepare for both.
If people dont unite and not just talk, things will go to hell.

And of course. Theyve always been snooping. its no news,really.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heliophant
reply to post by beezzer

Or what about things posted to Facebook that are set to "Only Me"? This does kinda make me wonder about the legal opinion of online privacy. Where is the demarcation point between public and private, legally speaking. Or is our privacy only protected by "Privacy Policy"?

I think if you look at the shrink-wrap agreement you agreed to when you signed up for Facebook, they can market your information to anyone, regardless of your privacy settings. So if the gubmint wants to buy it, Bob's your uncle.

Oh, and for the whole 'listening to Americans' issue, the article and testimony spoken about in the article in the OP is ALL correct, even where it looks like a contradiction.

You can record the data for everyone, as long as it is never listened to or examined a 'wiretap' hasn't occurred yet on that data. So you can spool ALL the traffic up you like, and just not look at it. Sort of like Schrodinger's Cat's Meow. Did the cat meow if you don't play back the recording?

You can ALSO listen in to various people for various lengths of time depending on the nature of the people on both ends of the conversation.

If I were an NSA analyst and got a dictionary hit,or an alert on a voice print, or whatever other criteria I set to notify me of something of interest, once I listen to it or read the transcript I have a set period of time to act on it or not without a warrant. If that data looks interesting, I can get a retroactive warrant to cover it. If you went outside the US, or if one end of the call is outside, I've got 168 hours to do it, in order to give me time to prepare a case. If the court doesn't agree, no action may be taken on the data. For purely domestic-to-domestic calls between US citizens, you aren't supposed to listen in...BUT. All you have to do is have the Prez stroke you a USSID that states we are in a state of emergency, and you get 168 hours for purely domestic calls as well. And those are classified and only the NSC knows about them.

And if I really want it anyway, I get Nigel to formally pass it over the wall. Under UKUSA treaty law, it's not wiretapping if one of our partner nations supplies the data as being data of interest, and it's legally actionable too. So court or no, I can use it if I want.

I might add, although you haven't heard it yet, the FBI can do the same thing on any domestic call, they've got a separate system that's not so flexible as the NSA's, but it exists and if they like they can sit at a desk and point-and-click their way into your phone conversation or emails.
edit on 16-6-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-6-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
How about everybody just calls a few people they know and starts discussing how they are going to off the president. Maybe do it on a weekly basis, or more often. Follow up with emails and website posts. And for the really creative types, do it in Arabic. And if we get a few million people doing the same thing, then maybe the illegal data collection will become obsolete. Just a thought.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Ok A visual

This Equals Too what Below!!

Big Brother Showing More of his Love!!

Need I say More!!

edit on 16-6-2013 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Get over it!! China, Russia, England, France, Israel, N Korea & who knows what more - they all have been monitoring e-traffic for decades in some cases. Do we expect our American intel agencies to sit back and read Batman comics? I hope the NSA is out there doing its job with the best equipment and people. And, NO!, thousands of readers and listeners don’t sift e-traffic. Software hunts for key words, teleph numbers, etc. Basically if you are not out to ‘get’ our country then you don’t have anything to worry about. !!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

I hope people realize that this story is based on the comments of Congressman Nadler during hearings, in which he said that in closed testimony he was told that indeed the NSA can listen in without warrants or oversight, but that this conflicted with what he was told during open testimony by a higher up person in the NSA. So at this point it is not clear what the facts of the matter are.

In no way do I condone what the NSA has been shown to be doing and I would certainly be against this too even more so; however, it is not clear yet that this is the case. It would seem that more needs to be known about this before we can say with confidence that the NSA is indeed listening on us. I certainly suspect that the NSA is doing so, but the facts aren't in yet. People might chill out on the rhetoric and pile-on until there is confirmation of this story.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

You may want to back up a bit and read my post, just about...

HERE:

Yeah this one... post by elouina

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by havanaja
reply to post by elouina

Get over it!! China, Russia, England, France, Israel, N Korea & who knows what more - they all have been monitoring e-traffic for decades in some cases. Do we expect our American intel agencies to sit back and read Batman comics? I hope the NSA is out there doing its job with the best equipment and people. And, NO!, thousands of readers and listeners don’t sift e-traffic. Software hunts for key words, teleph numbers, etc. Basically if you are not out to ‘get’ our country then you don’t have anything to worry about. !!!!

Do you always wait until the party is over to sneak in and eat the leftovers, while hoping that no one will notice?

Innocent people will voice dissent over our government at times. And they should be able to do this without some pimple faced analyst listening in. This is not the principles that our country was built on. If you want intrusion into your private life, move.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by lynxpilot

Sure, you can be the first one.
NOT! I prefer my doors in one piece as I am certain you do also. Although I can be quite the prankster, this is one joke that is best left untouched.

But this brings up a great point. I can not joke or talk about anything I like, IN PRIVATE! So very wrong...
edit on 17-6-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
reply to post by MrInquisitive

You may want to back up a bit and read my post, just about...

HERE:

Yeah this one... post by elouina

Thanks for pointing me to your update; however, that just comports with the point I made. I saw the video of his questioning of Mueller, which essentially amounted to Mueller denying that such eavesdropping was going on, and Nadler saying that he was glad to hear that, but that wasn't what he thought he heard in closed testimony, and that he would check back on the closed testimony records. So we are still left with not knowing if Nadler misunderstood what he first heard, or whether now he is backpedaling to cover the FBI's and/or the NSA's hiney. But this is the only source so far for this claim; hence I am not convinced that these two agencies or any part of the government are DEFINITELY eavesdropping on US citizens.

COULD the alphabet agencies be doing so and Nadler is just backtracking and being a good Establishment tool? Quite possibly. But we have no corroborating sources to back up this hypothesis. Given that Glen Greenwald, the journalist who broke the various Snowden-derived stories, has said that more information is coming and that he is in the midst of writing about it, I'd imagine if Nadler's initial claim turns out to be true, that we'll soon hear about it. My point is that there isn't enough evidence yet or multiple sources to confirm that this is the case yet, so making claims that this is the case is being a bit premature.

Believe me, I am no fan of the government and very skeptical of its actions, motives and claims, but I also require some evidence to come to a conclusion on such matters. Given the lack of intellectual rigor by many congress folks, I am not going to assume that Nadler's first impression was correct. It seems the basis of this thread and all the indignation in it is based on said impression of one such congressman and it remains to be seen it is, in fact, true. The fact that no other news sources have written INDEPENDENT stories on this (all the stories I read were essentially regurgitating the CNET article, makes me think that this supposition is incorrect.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it could all be a carefully organized disinformation campaign by the government and its corporate news media partners, but then why were the Snowden revelations covered so widely, unlike this one? Yes, this would be a much bigger deal, but the Snowden relevations were still big and embarrassing.

PS., I have always enjoyed your cosmic kitty avatar; it's very spacey.

edit on 17-6-2013 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
The Patriot Act was created just for this purpose. Law enforcement went into orgasmic convulsions when the Patriot Act was signed. They love this crap.

The NSA wants to know what your talking about because the criminals running the show want to know if anyone is talking about their crimes against humanity.

The entire system is corrupt, think about it.

You folks here say your down with it and so aware, but most of you are more worried about chasing their money so you can have that fancy new car or buy a bigger house etc. Thus you are not going to do a god damn thing about it.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Sometimes people see a quote and dont think!!! I am from the UK so lets look at some stats here are 2 examples.

150 billion txt messages sent in the UK in 2012.
Facebook Users Worldwide: 3.2 Billion Likes And Comments Per Day (Aug 2012)

So just using those stats exactly how many people would they need to read them ?
Of course they would have to be selective ie looking for key words or phrases when they are found electronically then no doubt a human will become part of the process.

There is TO much internet/phone activity to be bothered with the drivel most people put on social media facebook/twitter etc the same with phonecalls so WHY are you worried or are you plotting something

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Im going to make sure to use the word bomb in every phone call just to waste their time
in fact after every conversation you have..I recommend all who see this to say, thanks this conversation was the bomb! pls do this to eat up more of their man hours and our tax money
edit on 17-6-2013 by Foxy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

My biggest problem with this whole thing is people are Focusing their anger on Obama, the anger should be on the NSA.

don't you get it yet Even though this system was started in the 80s (google and find the ron paul video if you must) it doesn't matter, it's fuel for the anti-obama fires. It's amazing, he's the worst president ever, yet no one complains about crap HE did, just all the crap that's every happened or ever will, it's all Obama, because clearly he is a god.

It's all part of the game though, he's a convenient face to put on it, and people will blame him, and once he's replaced with a good old HONEST conservative, everyone can slap each other on the back and go back to sleep while the NSA continues to record all communications.

The only surprise here is the confirmation, for me. I've know this was taking place, we've been told time and time again. The mock shock is kinda funny, you really have no right to be shocked at this.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Well it's looking a little clearer now what that little app on our Android handsets is all about. does anyone remember that program they found on Android mobile devices that cannot be removed. I think the program name was Carrier IQ it was found to log keystrokes and send data to some location. it made national news coverage about 2 years ago and then just kinda disappeared when they said they use it just for marketing. maybe this needs to be looked at again, I don't know.
Also I just love how our government is using our tax money to pay the thousands of agents to listen to our calls and go through our mail. but hey at least they're creating jobs right where do I apply. just think of the millions they could make on the side dishing to the tabloids
edit on 17-6-2013 by knowwhat because: (no reason given)
l
edit on 17-6-2013 by knowwhat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I don't what all the fuss is about, (sarcasm) as far as I know this has been happening for years and years.. I thought it was just general knowledge.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
nothing our wonderful government does will get Americans upset enough to change anything!
As long as we have our beer, drugs, sports and celebrity entertainment we are pacified!
In 2016 the majority will vote in some republican president and the same old story will continue until the
sleeping majority is put down eventually!
We only care when it effects us and the majority doesn't have the capacity to realize what's important!
Just like the old saying goes "you don't know what you have till it's gone"!
Since most Americans never lived without their freedoms the just don't realize how precious it is cause if they did they would never give in to the fear mongering and allow the past two administrations to strip us of our liberties!

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I'm really wondering wth is going on, I just posted a very eerie experience I had just now on my phone\www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yea but....Your an alien in North Carolina. You kinda stick out. Just sayin...

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join