It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Messaging For Extraterestrial Intelligence (METI)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I would just advise some one to learn their language as quickly as possible.
We really don't need another cookbook.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

I bet the members of these clubs would agree

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
There's a new initiative to send messages into outerspace with the hopes someone is listening and anyone cand do it. A new website will allow anyone who wants to send a message into outerspace to do so. The website launches this monday and there seems to be some fear amongst the community that there's a chance we are inviting an invasion.

www.theverge.com...

The site is up but I haven't tried sending anything out so I don't know if it working yet.

EDITED:
I removed the site address as it is only collecting email addresses until launch and posting sites that collect data is not allowed here.
edit on 12-6-2013 by Crakeur because: (no reason given)

What happens if the message we are sending is not well received?

Or if they are already here?

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by HerbalJunkie

Are they going to have Mod's looking at the messages? I mean If I send one saying "come and have a go If you think your hard enough" well that may be sending the wrong type of message wouldn't it.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiro
Greetings,

People that believe we are inviting an invasion need to realise that we are already being invaded by our very own governments. It couldn't get any worse

Though, this is great and I cant wait to use it. Hope I get a reply

Be safe be well and thanks for sharing.

Spiro

ETA: I sent a message that read : Greetings, I am a prisoner on my planet called Earth. Our Mother Earth is in great danger. Please listen to other messages that say the same thing. We need your assistants to defeat our so called rulers so that we can not only restore our Great Mother Earth but also get our lives back. Yours loving, Me!!!
edit on 12-6-2013 by Spiro because: (no reason given)

I agree with ya!!

What could be worse? Immediate alien invasion to enslave or kill the human population and take Earth's resources?

Or.. let Earth continue as is and let humanity do it themselves without any alien invasion?

At any rate.. I do find this initiative pretty cool, but don't have much data to research this subject with as it's probably classified.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

perhaps they will put up a second site: rejected messages for extraterrestrials dot com.

on this site you will find the intergalactic dating offers, emails from umfufu detailing a dead aunt and 6 billion in unclaimed funds, sexual aid and pain killer sales, walmart people, etc.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

Hoping that whatever lifeforms intelligent enough to receive these messages speaks English, or any other Earth origin language.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by WormwoodSquirm
I like Michio Kaku's statement that if aliens could observe our signals or similar they would probably be way far advanced as a civilization that to listen to us and our message would be like one of us stopping to listen and talk to a worm.

This is an example of mistaking intelligence with knowledge. Intelligence is defined as "The ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills." Knowledge on the other hand is defined as "Information and skills acquired through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject."

As an example take our species: Take the average adult from 1813 and the average adult from 2013, both would have almost identical intelligence (although the Flynn Effect disagrees, it has been theorized to be due to external factors and has been shown to have peaked in most industrialized nations by the mid 1990s), but obviously the adult of 2013 is more knowledgeable.

We don't talk to a worm because we are far more intelligent than a worm. However, when comparing a highly advanced civilization to humans, they not necessarily possess superior intelligence to us, but simply possess more knowledge of the universe, which ultimately yields to superior technology.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Peeps, you do realize of course, aliens may have already contacted us

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Data signals via radio transmissions, the internet, time capsules, etc. are likely uninteresting to aliens. Telepathic communication may interest them. Think of it like this, whatever is out there that comes close to meeting our expectations of intelligent life capable of inter stellar communication most likely does not field data signals with mixed messages coming from a singular source, especially radio transmissions. Now, if one could figure out how to incorporate data into photons and send them via laser, simulating light, that may get their attention. Einstein's "spooky action at a distance" and shared information between particles on a sub atomic level is the next step, or something very similar imo. There needs to be far more thought, revelation, and efficiency put into the delivery mode of data to get any highly intelligent life form to respond at all, and as of now, we are using soup cans and twine. Not to mention we are showing with our satellites and data streams we are wasteful and throw our trash anywhere. Clean up our planet orbit, stop sending open ended messages, let technology make a breakthrough, and maybe, just maybe then we will get a ping back. What we do next is crucial. Btw, I believe we already got that ping back, it was the WOW signal, sent once and only once to determine if we were ready to communicate and we were not and as far as I know still are not capable. When we are, man oh man, I hope I am alive to experience it.

edit on 12-6-2013 by Boscov because: quick typing

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I signed up with my email but all I am getting on the site is the video it plays? Where do you type the messages?

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I'm going to order a pizza

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

I don't think it is up yet, they will send us a message when its ready.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Aw nuts. This is gonna turn out to be some sort of intergalactic facebook and we all know whats been happening to the first one.

edit on 12-6-2013 by Tindalos2013 because: tip top typo

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I think my message would be ' Help us please, before we destroy ourselves'

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boscov
reply to post by Crakeur

Data signals via radio transmissions, the internet, time capsules, etc. are likely uninteresting to aliens. Telepathic communication may interest them. Think of it like this, whatever is out there that comes close to meeting our expectations of intelligent life capable of inter stellar communication most likely does not field data signals with mixed messages coming from a singular source, especially radio transmissions. Now, if one could figure out how to incorporate data into photons and send them via laser, simulating light, that may get their attention. Einstein's "spooky action at a distance" and shared information between particles on a sub atomic level is the next step, or something very similar imo. There needs to be far more thought, revelation, and efficiency put into the delivery mode of data to get any highly intelligent life form to respond at all, and as of now, we are using soup cans and twine. Not to mention we are showing with our satellites and data streams we are wasteful and throw our trash anywhere. Clean up our planet orbit, stop sending open ended messages, let technology make a breakthrough, and maybe, just maybe then we will get a ping back. What we do next is crucial. Btw, I believe we already got that ping back, it was the WOW signal, sent once and only once to determine if we were ready to communicate and we were not and as far as I know still are not capable. When we are, man oh man, I hope I am alive to experience it.

edit on 12-6-2013 by Boscov because: quick typing

Nice post, I think some extraordinary events will happen in less than 10 years and I hope I'm alive to see it too. Thanks for your insightful post =)

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
reply to post by Arbitrageur

If you look back at ancient civilizations, and replace angels and god for aliens, you can see how a group of beings would react to a technologically advanced race. They'd be deified, they'd be feared and they'd be loved, all depending on what they do with that technology.

What's important to point out is that we can't get along with each other, we have large portions of our population that cannot accept that some of us are black or white, or blonde or brunette and we clearly have issues over the various faiths. If some species comes along and tells all the jews, catholics, muslims etc that there is a god and his name is alf, we're going to have some serious chaos here.

Alf was some crazy dude, i loved his ascerbic wit, I would love God to be alf, it would be so much fun, you do mean the puppet on the telly dont you.
As far as sending messages out into the cosmos is concerned, i dont think they would answer, as generally we're not a very nice species, they'll either run a mile, or come down and take all the gold or big macs or whatever it is they want, destroy us and bugger off.
All hail Alf, king of the universe.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

Thank you.

I see superior intelligent life having protocols that must be met before any interaction via two-way communications, like I mentioned in my previous post, and our civility will be given a chance to be determined once we show capabilities to successfully and efficiently apply theoretical sciences that are non-invasive and neutral in approach. We do not have good manners and our communication methods, or body language, must be non-threatening and not suggest impulsiveness, which indicates we are not psychologically mature, even though our tech may be minimally adequate.

edit on 12-6-2013 by Boscov because: clarify meaning

edit on 12-6-2013 by Boscov because: sentence structure

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I think that is a good step in the right direction, but I fear that most messages will give little indication of intelligence on this planet. Similar to a cup and string telephone conversation between a physicist and a six year old. The scientist will smile, nod, and respond from pity at best. My message, for all the good it will do, is going to be a sequence of numbers, being that mathematics is a universal language, even if the Arabic numerals aren't.
Good post though.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

hmm...

I had an idea about something a few minutes ago and
, while it is definitely a product of imagination, it could be considered as a potential truth.

Even if it's not true, it's a neat and plausible conspiracy;

I wonder... maybe TPTB, for whatever the reason, have reached a point where they need to reveal their knowledge regarding the existence of Extra-Terrestrial intelligence.

This could solve one point that is frequently used to explain the governments continued denial of E.T. life. On top of everything else, it is often claimed that disclosure will never occur, because any information released would reveal TPTB have known about E.T.'s existence for quite a while. Disclosing this type of information would confirm the public has been deceived for decades.

Launching a site like this could serve as an available platform for use in a disclosure type of situation.

It could be used to introduce confirmed contact with E.T., without revealing that there was any prior knowledge of E.T., or that knowledge had been hidden and kept secret for quite a while.

It would be easy for TPTB to insert a shill posing as a common person who sent a message into space and got a reply...

I know it's far out speculation, but in my opinion, it is very intriguing and very plausible.

edit on 12-6-2013 by esteay812 because: I'm trying to practice using some of ATS coding features, my apologies if you dislike the formatting of my post!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join