It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile devices are bad for ATS.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Which in one of the reasons I cautioned SO about determining the form factor used by the content contributors. If the new site design makes the content creators either leave or create less content, then the content consumers (the vast majority of page visits I assume) will continue to drop regardless. With no valued content, viewers (regardless of platform) will leave.

I've seen this happen first hand, where a software design was tailored to cater to the consumer form factor, ignoring the form factor used by the content producers. Once that happened, the content producers left in droves, quickly followed by the consumers. The content consumers in this case are readers only...not providing any content (new threads, posts, replies, etc...). With nothing good to read, they leave with no qualms since they have no vested interest in the content on the site that they did not create.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

I think that is an excellent comment, and one admin here might seriously consider. But let's not overdo it. It's not like the new site is totally useless to us, the desktop users. But I couldn't disagree that it feels somewhat "dumbed down" compared to what we have now. We are losing quite bit in the new design. On the other hand, perhaps we ought to give SO a chance. Rome wasn't built in day. He has always come through. ALWAYS. I just wish we could wait a bit more, so that the new design isn't too rushed out, and is more refined. I would think if he can find ways to include more for desktop users eventually, he will probably do it.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

There has been a (subjective) decrease in quality content that started before mobile devices showed up. It seemed to really start around the time the Facebook interface was brought online.

Mobile devices didn't help.

Meh, all I see is someone whos got to 'that' age in life where everything was better BEFORE, chocolate bars used to be bigger, kids had manners yada yada, now all this new fangled technology has wizzed passed you an someone can't keep up. Rose tinted glasses.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

TrueAmerican
reply to post by Krakatoa

I think that is an excellent comment, and one admin here might seriously consider. But let's not overdo it. It's not like the new site is totally useless to us, the desktop users. But I couldn't disagree that it feels somewhat "dumbed down" compared to what we have now. We are losing quite bit in the new design. On the other hand, perhaps we ought to give SO a chance. Rome wasn't built in day. He has always come through. ALWAYS. I just wish we could wait a bit more, so that the new design isn't too rushed out, and is more refined. I would think if he can find ways to include more for desktop users eventually, he will probably do it.

I am not saying it is all bad, on the contrary. The job SO has taken on is huge here....trying to support a single code base targeting wildly differing platforms is not an easy task (one I have had challenge me over the years as well). My concerns are that in the fervor to cater to the growing mobile user (who, let's face it, are mostly only content consumers), we run the risk of alienating the minority of users that are generating the content being consumed by those mobile users.

Therein lies the danger....because, if the content creators bail, then the mobile consumers will need to bear that burden, and frankly, I do not see that happening. I could be wrong. But in my professional experience doing cross-browser development for aver 20 years, I've seen this trend occur more than once. I would hate for ATS to suffer the same fate. It's worth too much IMO to do that....which is why I felt the need to make that statement here.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

doorhandle

Originally posted by Phage

There has been a (subjective) decrease in quality content that started before mobile devices showed up. It seemed to really start around the time the Facebook interface was brought online.

Mobile devices didn't help.

Meh, all I see is someone whos got to 'that' age in life where everything was better BEFORE, chocolate bars used to be bigger, kids had manners yada yada, now all this new fangled technology has wizzed passed you an someone can't keep up. Rose tinted glasses.

With all due respect, age is not where it comes from, but experience. But that's my opinion, and you are welcome to respectfully disagree.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by doorhandle

now all this new fangled technology has wizzed passed you an someone can't keep up.

A monkey can operate this new fangled technology. And drive a car at the same time.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by doorhandle

now all this new fangled technology has wizzed passed you an someone can't keep up.

A monkey can operate this new fangled technology. And drive a car at the same time.

...and they do, every day, I see them swerving between lanes on the freeway way to often.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join